Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old    alanp            03-24-2008, 5:42 PM Reply   
Post tips, questions and external links here
Old    alanp            03-26-2008, 11:29 AM Reply   
taken from wakeboard singapore.com

The Air Raley is where your body is full extended above your head level like in a 'Superman' position. This trick is more mental than technical as the falls can really hurt. Make sure you've got really good wake jumps before you attempt this.

To do this trick, start out wide to begin your backside cut. You have to edge harder for this trick, keeping your knees slightly bent. However, your cut must still be progressive as the whole idea is to load the line. Once you hit the wake, instead of popping up, push your board a little on your edge and let your hip and board float away and behind you, letting it pull your arms straight. Notice I use the word 'push', popping tends to make you want to flatten out at the wake which creates a slack line and a real bruised face when you land.

As you are doing this, make sure you look at the boat to prevent stargazing (ie, your body rotates causing your chest to face the sky). If you still stargaze even when you spot the boat, its probably because you have too much weight on your back leg during your approach. However, if you're wakeboard nose is pointing down, you've probably got to much weight on your front foot as you took off.

Once you're full extended pull in yourself in by bringing the handle towards your knees. This is almost a natural reaction so don't worry to much about it.

If you're getting extended but you keep clipping the front edge as you land, try squaring up your shoulders more as you approach the wake. Unlike most other inverts, your pivot point is at your shoulders not your waist.

Wearing a thick life vest for learning this trick is strongly recommended. If you crack a rib, you can forget about wakeboarding at all.

Tips by David Ngiam
Old    alanp            03-26-2008, 11:32 AM Reply   
from another link

When doing a raley behind a boat, usually you will feel 2 pulls... One going up, and a second one after the peak of your raley.

If your second pull jerks you down hard, its because of the slack you get as you reach the peak. This is likely due to 'snapping' the raley a little too much at the wake. Particularly so if you first learnt the raley on the cable.

To get a smooth, floaty raley, approach progressively and stand taller while pushing off the wake. But dun flatten off. If your timing is good, you'll get extended longer and you won't notice the second pull very much.

and

Hey mate, as David says the key to the boat raley is the progressive cut, and riding right through the wake. Standing tall will give you that nice snap for big air into the flats.

As with everything, practice makes perfect, and the raley is actually a very easy trick, its the mental ballsiness of it that ensures succesful execution, you must commit to it 100% every time!
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-30-2008, 11:47 PM Reply   
Alan,

I am WAY too lazy to do this right now, but someone did a superb writeup on this trick about a year ago, with step-by-step instructions on how to "get ready" to go for this trick. Some creative searching might find it.

Sorry, 1:45 and I have class tomorrow.
Old     (ffmedic)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-07-2008, 4:12 PM Reply   
anyone have any suggestions as to learning this trick with low impact on falls..or not as much.....maybe slower speeds...shorter rope... i have these on the tramp....im wondering if its simular?..watched all the vids on this trick ...looking to start trying these very soon...just need some input...thanks
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       05-08-2008, 9:12 AM Reply   
i've double vested (cga over comp) for a few which seems to ease the impact on ribs and back....and a shorty or some spandex will help protect the twins.

i think it's all about weight distribution....i can't get there because i'm too back foot heavy! sucks, too!
Old     (jhertz27)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-13-2008, 8:47 AM Reply   
I think this is the post Garret is referring too.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3184/408691.html?1174163407
Old     (trevorcurry)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-14-2008, 3:43 PM Reply   
I read ^ that thread and I think I'm going to try some tomorrow. From looking at the wakeskate raley in ^ thread, he is sitting really low during his cut, but once he hits the trough he stands up tall. Is that what I should be doing?
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       05-15-2008, 12:57 PM Reply   
That's what I do...I edge all the way out, then gradually (progressive) increase my edge as I get closer. During this entire time before I hit the trough, i'm in the seated position and I also focus HARD on the weight of both feet.. Right before I hit the trough, I start standing tall. As I realease off the wake, I start looking for the tower or people in the boat and it keeps my shoulders square and straightens me out in the railey position

Good luck!

Oh and if you come in heavy on the back foot you will more like Stargaze it and have problems pulling it back in. If you come in front foot heavy it will throw you into a 911...Well...Close to it.. :-)
Old     (trevorcurry)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-17-2008, 2:06 AM Reply   
Sweet, thanks. Monday I'm doin it.
Old     (wakemandan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-21-2008, 4:05 PM Reply   
You always hear a lot about this trick being mostly mental: FACT. you need to have the courage to fly into the wake.

In my personal experience, this is one of my more cosistent tricks, only fell on a handful in total last season.

One tip i beg of you to not overlook. Keep your eyes on the boat When learning this trick, i would glance down at the water and roll to my shoulders, landing the trick fully extended.

In my videos, im staring right into the camera from the point im going up the wake till im pulling it back down.
Old     (troutpac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-25-2008, 9:39 AM Reply   
Hey-I just got them on the tramp-using the rope to get my legs back under me-felt sick and they are consistent.I did strain my abs probabaly cause I was so scared to get my legs back that I yanked too hard . Do you have to pull the rope in that hard on the water? Can you slow down and shorten the rope for the first attempts on the water?. I heard of people doing front flips with no rope.
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       05-25-2008, 6:36 PM Reply   
no you don't have to pull that hard at all. In fact, if you pull hard when extended in the railey position, you will land on your arse! :-)

I don't even think about pulling it back in and just let the light tug naturally bring my feet back under. Just hang on to that rope tight so that it doesn't pop out of your hands which will make you go into a big front role.
Old    alanp            10-29-2008, 11:23 PM Reply   
bump
Old     (cccbuilders)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-01-2008, 7:01 PM Reply   
killing the twins!
I got the speed, the raley and the landing, but not every time about every other or 3rd raley , i land on my arse knocking the twins to uranus. Is this from pulling the rope to hard? I land with the bottom of the board facing the boat. OUCH!
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       11-05-2008, 10:39 AM Reply   
actually I don't even pull on the rope at all. I just let the automatic yank bring me back in. If I pull on the handle along with getting yanked, then I will definately land on my butt. Most people will pull hard anyways because you "think" that you are not going to be able to get your body back in the proper position. I think this is just a confidence thing. When you start having confidence in throwing this trick, you will relax a bit, I think...
Old    alanp            06-13-2010, 7:32 AM Reply   
bump
Old     (hematoma)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-26-2010, 8:05 PM Reply   
I worked on them off and on for 2 days, as most people had told me prior its not a hard trick to do, it will do it for you if you do everything correctly. It's 100000% commitment you can't half step it. I learned the basic feel on a wakeskate whether right or wrong it prepared me for what was instore. I tried 2 with my wakeboard and FAILED lol, I went out the back on the first and the second I didnt get the board back under me all the way and cuaght my edge. Neither falls hurt to bad , Looking at the boat is key, both attempts I looked away and paid the price. Good luck
Old    PapaBProductions            07-13-2010, 3:03 PM Reply   
I tried learning a Raley by first practicing on a wakeskate. This led to the 2 biggest crashes of my life! Watch: Huge Raley Crash
Old    alanp            07-25-2011, 5:06 PM Reply   
bump
Old     (tdizzle0624)      Join Date: Oct 2009       08-03-2011, 7:51 AM Reply   
imo a better way to learn raleys, if you are lucky enough to have new hyperlite system bindings, is to basically use your wakeboard like a wakeskate (but you will still get the same pop and control of your wakeboard). you can get up and do a couple big wake jumps with your bindings strapped down then when you are ready cut out toeside just about as far as possible. when you get out there unstrap your bindings from your boots and begin your long steady progressive edge(if you try to cut super hard at the beginning you will automatically slip out on ur butt). when you get to the wake dont let off the edge at all. you steadily built your edge and you cant throw all that work away at the last second. stand tall and slightly leaning away on the rope. when you get your pop you should naturally let your hips and legs out behind you and then at the peak of your jump you should begin to pull(dont yank) the handle to your hips. the board will have fallen off a long time ago so you will not need to pull very hard to get your feet under you. if you can get this consistent just leave out the part where you unstrap your bindings and ride it away. this method will greatly reduce the number of hard crashes you will take.
Old     (espritv8)      Join Date: Dec 2009       09-20-2012, 11:32 AM Reply   
Tried it a couple times now. I get decent air, and extension, but can't get back on my feet... I end up every time plunging directly on my face!!
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       09-24-2012, 7:49 PM Reply   
Got a video?
Old     (stxr_racer)      Join Date: Jun 2006       03-06-2013, 4:30 PM Reply   
My boy learnt his at cable

Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-06-2013, 8:05 AM Reply   
System 2.0 with a kicker is the BEST way to learn these. Took about 2 tries to get the beginnings dialed in, but then you're set!!
Old     (Anaru)      Join Date: Jan 2012       04-06-2013, 6:03 PM Reply   
I haven't landed one behind boat but learnt air Raleys on a 2.0. That said I'm not landing them 100% on the big boys cable lol. Still trying still hurting myself a lot haha
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-07-2013, 8:04 PM Reply   
Having the kicker made the takeoff much easier, for me at least. For some reason, I don't get as intimidated off the kicker as I do off the wake.