Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (TC_Mastercraf_X5)      Join Date: Feb 2013       06-28-2016, 4:54 AM Reply   
So I am getting the rotation and the height for my scarecrow, but having alot of trouble on the handle placement/wrong hand. Any tips on how to get this dialed in? Would it be easier if i stuck to a front roll?

https://youtu.be/e7bK5kAjroI
Old     (doublemwa)      Join Date: May 2016       06-28-2016, 5:43 AM Reply   
The natural progression is once you're a 100% on a front roll, then go 180 for the scarecrow. For me I learned a front roll, then started sticking them with only my lead hand on the rope. Once I was 100% with one hand, I would use my "other"/rear hand to hold on which would start the rotation. Also, watching the clip, you have both rotations but you're landing with to much weight on your heels. This can be corrected a couple of ways. The correct way is to stand up taller, with more weight on your lead foot, when leaving the wake and starting the rotation. Or do like me and cheat it on the way down and pull the handle into your hips. This will help you get more up right and land more squarely on your feet. Hope this helps and keep pushing!
Old     (holdsworth)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-28-2016, 8:09 AM Reply   
Crow before the toe front. Most people have problems with the scarecrow by rolling and then spinning. It's not that this is wrong, but there's a much easier way to do it and you'll get more height. Plus it easily leads you to working on crow mobes and elephants .

Your attempt looked pretty good from the start, but it ended up turning into a roll-to-spin crow. Off the wake, you're leaning a bit forward like trying to jump out towards the next wake. What you want to do is stand up nice and tall and when you pop, simply drop your back shoulder and open your chest to the boat. Simple as that. By dropping the shoulder then opening your chest, you're slightly changing your axis of rotation, so the spin and flip start at the exact same time. The reason you get more height by doing this is because you're now going to have your chin up and towards your front shoulder as opposed to tucking and rolling and having your ehad go more in a downwards direction. With this, you're going to be able to spot your landing almost right away instead of waiting for the flip to come around and then spin. Plus, there's absolutely zero need to ever let go of the handle when doing it this way, just keep your elbows bent a bit so the handle doesn't get away from you. Good luck!

And if you do want to work on front rolls, just do exactly what you're doing right now, but stand tall at the top of the wake for good pop, tuck, and let go of the handle either right off the wake or about halfway through. Spot the shore/horizon first and work your way down to your landing spot so it's not completely blind. You look really good in that clip so it'll come easy for you.
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       07-10-2016, 6:42 PM Reply   
Good advice here. Here's another - get rid of a pile of ballast. You're going big and freaking out. It's there, you just need the confidence to pull the handle to your hips. Learn small then worry about going big. I say this because you locked your legs right at the end and you'll only injure a knee if you keep doing it that way.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-13-2016, 4:16 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC_Mastercraf_X5 View Post
Any tips on how to get this dialed in?
Yeah. Let go with the other hand. That's why you didn't stick it in your video. And IMO... no, learning the front roll is not easier. With you getting that much rotation holding on with the wrong hand you will probably find it hard to land a front roll. It will be more like a face plant.
Old     (TC_Mastercraf_X5)      Join Date: Feb 2013       07-20-2016, 6:09 PM Reply   
My knees after a weekend of that abuse were nearly shot. Havent had much luck getting it dialed in since then. Partly new boat partly been in a massive slump.