Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-10-2015, 7:03 AM Reply   
Moved back home to AZ, Phoenix area, got an old inboard with my brother, and still hitting the lake 2x's a month, still trunkin' it. I hope to get a wetsuit to extend even longer. Not sure of the water temps...

Who else is still at it? if not, when did/do you stop? where do you live? how cold is the water? Wet suit? Dry suit?

just thought i would ask...
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       11-10-2015, 7:15 AM Reply   
GA checking in.. last time out was a heater shirt.. probably getting to wetsuit weather now (if the rain ever stops)
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       11-10-2015, 8:11 AM Reply   
switched to motocross when the calendar hit November.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-10-2015, 8:14 AM Reply   
Year round in Otown. Shorty whenever the temp is in the 70's and up. R&R when in the 60's and below.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       11-10-2015, 8:40 AM Reply   
I live in the middle of Texas. Air temps around 65-72 the past couple weeks and this week. Water temps 70-72, no shorty but chilly or shorty and comfy.
Old     (ILikebooty)      Join Date: Mar 2015       11-10-2015, 9:04 AM Reply   
Wow 70-72 is what our water gets to in the summer lol. I don't put on a wetsuit until it's below 60. I'm sure if you're used to always riding in warm water then 70 would feel cold though. I'm just used to it haha. The water right now is probably in the low 50s or high 40s depending on the weather, and I'm heading out Friday. It's suppose to be 50 degrees and Sunny so we're hitting it here in Idaho!
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       11-10-2015, 9:34 AM Reply   
Once the stupid daylight saving time hits, it's impossible for us to go out after work here in the Vancouver WA/Portland OR area. Plus, it's been pretty much raining non-stop for the last 2 weeks. Sucks. The latest I've made it is the first week in November before having to throw in the towel and winterize.

Our water temps are 50 - 51 right now and air temps have been in the 50's. I have a drysuit, gloves, booties, so no problem there. I've done water temps at 42 degrees on a New Years Day run before.

I have to winterize my boat when the air temps get to freezing at night. Hasn't happened yet but it's right around the corner for me. In fact, I will probably winterize tomorrow as I just don't see any clear weather during daylight hours anytime in the foreseeable future. I do have some friends that store their boats in heated storage so if they go out, I can jump on board with them.

Out rivers and lakes never freeze so aside from the rain and overnight temps, we could conceivably ride year round. But snowboard season will start soon, so we'll be transitioning to winter sports.

In the spring, I've done it where I've snowboarded in the morning, drove home and put the boat in to wakeboard and wakesurf in the afternoon. Triple board day for the win!!!
Old     (deelan)      Join Date: Aug 2009       11-10-2015, 9:35 AM Reply   
I'm like you_da_man I live in DFW and water temp is still 70. I went out last Monday (with a wet suit because I'm a wuss) and am waiting for a sunny day to get back out!
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-10-2015, 10:06 AM Reply   
Rode yesterday, water was 60, air was 50 and windy at 10 mph. We trunk it til December. I usually take one set in early December in a heater shirt, then a set or two in January and february in a 3/2 full suit... by march it is heater shirt time. If I get to ride in December this year, then I will have ridden at least once every month in 2014 and 2015, which was a goal of mine that I did not succeed in 2013.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       11-10-2015, 10:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikebooty View Post
Wow 70-72 is what our water gets to in the summer lol. I don't put on a wetsuit until it's below 60. I'm sure if you're used to always riding in warm water then 70 would feel cold though. I'm just used to it haha. The water right now is probably in the low 50s or high 40s depending on the weather, and I'm heading out Friday. It's suppose to be 50 degrees and Sunny so we're hitting it here in Idaho!
My usual riding lake is 90-91 degree water 3-4 months out of the year. Yes, we southerners are spoiled with very warm water. The real nice thing also is that having water that warm makes for staying out late tied up with other boats enjoyable without getting cold. Nothing for us to float until 10pm-11pm. There's also a powerplant lake near by so their machinery keeps the lake reasonably warm/cool during the winter months. In 27yrs of owning a boat I've never seen our lake get below 53 degrees so technically we can ride year round just have to deal with air temps.

Last edited by you_da_man; 11-10-2015 at 10:54 AM.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       11-10-2015, 11:08 AM Reply   
Typically through late Nov or early Dec at the delta. But now that the resorts in Tahoe are open - its over for Wakeboarding & On like Ron for Snowboarding.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-10-2015, 3:26 PM Reply   
I live in the PNW, and never quit! Ride all year long!
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       11-10-2015, 5:44 PM Reply   
Down here in AZ we ride year round, wetsuits probably Dec-Mar.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       11-11-2015, 7:16 AM Reply   
NJ - Usually May through October depending on temps, ambition, and suckering anyone to be a third. Wetsuit weather for sure towards the end. I've done into Dec once but that was an unusually warm year, still chilly though. Short daylight in winter doesn't help. If they're gonna screw with the clocks they ought to just push it forward several hours so people get done work around middle of the daylight period into the warmest part of the day.

This year late August was my last ride, injured knee, back, neck and shoulder among other bits. Totally sucks because the water is still in the 50s and we've had some warm days.
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       11-11-2015, 8:02 AM Reply   
Shorts year round
Pura vida Costa Rica!
Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-11-2015, 12:50 PM Reply   
So, i ve seen motocross, of course snowboarding, what else do you do on off season?

I play on a few soccer teams, do some hunting...

You?
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       11-11-2015, 1:24 PM Reply   
Water was 82 last weekend, should start dropping soon. A few 50* nights will have it into the 70s quick. Then its heater tops. Once it drops under 70 I switch boats to the center console in the high and dry and park the Nautique at the house. Fish all winter and splash the SN for crazy Yankees come to visit who dont mind 60* water. We ride dirt bikes, hunt, fish and play golf all winter. Naples Marco Island Fl.
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       11-11-2015, 4:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by newwhit View Post
So, i ve seen motocross, of course snowboarding, what else do you do on off season?

I play on a few soccer teams, do some hunting...

You?
Snowboard and mountain biking (when time permits)
Old     (fizzz)      Join Date: Nov 2010       11-12-2015, 8:11 AM Reply   
still riding in atlanta ga, yesterday was a perfect sunny 70 degree day with no wind! last year we rode year round, jan/feb were miserable though.....
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       11-12-2015, 8:17 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzz View Post
still riding in atlanta ga, yesterday was a perfect sunny 70 degree day with no wind! last year we rode year round, jan/feb were miserable though.....
Which lake did you ride?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       11-12-2015, 9:14 AM Reply   
mother nature has a been a ho lately in East Texas. last 5 or 6 weekends have been rain from Friday to Sunday and lots of it. I think we've had 36" of rain in a month. Lakes are full! but end of season sucked a fatty. Its off-road season, getting the jeep dialed in for a ride this weekend.

to answer OPs question, we're usually done my mid/late october. was warmer than normal this year
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       11-12-2015, 9:45 AM Reply   
11/11/2015. The latest I've made it with my boat! Yesterday was a surprise treat. We got a few hours of sunshine between the pissing rain we've been having for the last 3.5 weeks.

The wife and I were rocking the drysuit, gloves, and booties. the water wasn't THAT cold at 52, but with the air at 52 also, it was awesome to get out of the water and be warm and dry!!!

The wife rockin' her first ever time in a drysuit.

We did use the heater on the drive back as the rain started back up.

Last trip of the year! So happy to get that one in!
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       11-12-2015, 8:16 PM Reply   
In SLC, Utah. Took the boat out one last time on Sunday and winterized her yesterday. Was using a neb-top and shorts until two weeks ago and then switched to my drysuit. I don't bother using a wetsuit. If I want to tow my boat 4hrs to southern UT, we can basically ride year round, and will be in a drysuit until at least the end of May.
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-13-2015, 6:42 AM Reply   
4 pm. Getting dark early these days........
Old     (dreddy)      Join Date: Oct 2011       11-13-2015, 8:28 AM Reply   
Ryan... What lake did you hit on Sunday? Pretty cold up the canyons by now.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       11-13-2015, 11:08 PM Reply   
Dreddy, we were at Willard Bay. It was a bit cooler than I expected because of the lower air temps.
Old     (fizzz)      Join Date: Nov 2010       11-14-2015, 1:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator View Post
Which lake did you ride?
I live on lake spivey just south of the city, it's a private lake so right now it's a dead zone. Where do you ride?
Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-15-2015, 11:52 AM Reply   
It's nice to see people are still getting after it!

We wnt out on Friday air in mid 70s, water about the same. Plus, no crowds!!! We did upset some fishermen, though.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       11-15-2015, 5:42 PM Reply   
This was today in WI. 46 water 56 air! Gorgeous water!
Old     (BOWZ)      Join Date: Apr 2013       11-15-2015, 6:59 PM Reply   
Yesterday was my last. 60water 64air in swim trunks. Arkansas River in Little Rock.

bowz
Old     (se95dah)      Join Date: Sep 2013       11-16-2015, 7:38 PM Reply   
We ride in shorts all year round in Doha, Qatar. The Christmas morning ride is a favourite, always followed by Skype calls from home saying "isn't it tough living in the Middle East"?!
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       11-17-2015, 3:38 PM Reply   
Az water gets into the 50s. Only a handful of times way back did it ever drop into the high 40s. Get a wet or dry suit and ride year round
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       11-18-2015, 5:58 AM Reply   
Still going when the sun is out and no wind. 4/3 Full suit. Water 57, air 70 degrees. No other boats...gotta love it.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       11-22-2015, 7:39 AM Reply   
Shoot I'm bout to go ride in a hour and a half or so. I'll ride 2x week at least all year. Plus snowboard. Gotta love california.
Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-23-2015, 8:03 AM Reply   
80 degrees on Friday and i couldnt find anyone to accompany me to the lake...