Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (HSE)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-11-2015, 12:23 PM Reply   
I've had a variety of tire brands on my boat and five blowouts over the years with both trailer and boat damage. I bit the bullet and replacing all five tires to start fresh. I've read reviews on the different brands and it seems Maxiss has the most positive so I'm giving those a try. I'd like to give a shout out to Peterson Automotive & Tire in Livermore, CA for the hook up and quick installation. Waiting for all new bearings and brake pads to show up so I can get it back together and on the road again.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-11-2015, 1:10 PM Reply   
had some other varieties of their tires (off road) that seemed well made. should be good.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-11-2015, 2:18 PM Reply   
I have Maxiss now. I had a tire blowout on the way home after a good August vacation. It's not so much that it was a bitterly awful experience, it was just a bad enough experience to make me replace all 4 tires (spare excepted) with the best or good enough tires I could get. I asked 3 or 4 of my clients in heavy ag industry where to buy such tires. The dealer I was pointed to advised the Maxxiss brand (without cheer ... he was sort of a cheerless soul).

But that was the last year I trailered my boat to the lake every trip. I since got a slip in a marina. In the last 3 years I've put only 450 miles on my trailer vs. 200 hours on the odometer ... and compared to where the percentage of the time on the boat while it is not running is increasing dramatically. So I have no idea how much better they are.
Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       02-11-2015, 6:00 PM Reply   
I went to the Maxxis 3 years ago after having issues with Goodyear Marathons separating sidewalls and have had no issues so far. I was looking at Carlise, but my tire guy (who has always done good by me) suggested Maxxis. I also moved from a load range "D" to "E" since I have a single axle trailer. After doing the math, my boat loaded was tipping the load range of 2 load range "D" tires.
Old     (HSE)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-11-2015, 7:49 PM Reply   
Well it's good to see positive comments on the tires.. The date code on the tires are 2013, but they have been in a warehouse so not exposed to weather, anybody know typical trailer tire life with limited sun exposure? I store my boat indoors so the tires are in the sun when the boats in the water so wondering how many years before they need to be replaced?
Old     (Ewok01)      Join Date: Apr 2013       02-11-2015, 9:11 PM Reply   
Average life of tires is about 6 years. I replace all my tires every 6 years from the date stamp on the tires and I store my boat in my garage so the tires never see the sun when not in use.

Make sure you have proper tire inflation for the load, but to be on the safe side, just pump them up to max cold psi, you're probably close to the max load anyway. The speed you drive also has a big effect on the lifespan of the tires. The faster you drive with under inflated tires the more likely you are to suffer a blowout.

There are also great aftermarket tire pressure sensors you can put in your trailer tires that give you the temperature and pressure so you might detect a potential blow out with rising temps in the tires. http://www.orange-electronic.com/en/...ofit_p409.html

When I put new tires on my trailer I had them put the TPMS in. I also upgraded the tires to Kumho 857 load range D tires, stronger than the load class C tires that came on the trailer. I now have a small display in my tow vehicle that lets me know what the pressures are and the temperatures of the tires, it's great peace of mind.
Old     (HSE)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-13-2015, 3:23 PM Reply   
Those monitors for pressure and temp are really cool. Might have to look into those down the road.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-17-2015, 5:22 AM Reply   
In Florida I have found that tires are good for about 5 years before you need to replace them regardless of mileage unless all you do is trailer a couple miles to the ramp.