Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-09-2015, 3:32 PM Reply   
There's a small boat show in Springfield Mo. Most of the wake boat dealers will also do one of the two KC boat shows and then also the St. Louis boat show ... dealer territorial limits allowing ... since many of the high-income boaters on Table Rock and Bull Shoals are from the bigger cities.

Still, there was at least an X23 ... and ... a G23.

I own a 2006 SV-211 ... and ... like it ... a lot.

If I wanted to spend needless cash for an upgrade I don't need, it would be to a Nautique G21 ... only. When the price or mood is right, I will. It's pretty accurate to say that ... I have 'coke bottle' thick owner's goggles.

But ... I was unsettled by these comparisons after inspecting these two boats at the boat show.

The Mastercraft interior layout, upholstery, dashboard and helm seemed like the ultimate in luxury. The G23 was OK. But things I like in my 2006 Nautique are gone, like ... the heavy-duty fiberglass swim platform with tire-rubber grip covering ... the heavy-lidded glove box with a flat tire-rubber traction surface. Most of this is replaced by cheap plastic. The glove box lid is curved. It is no longer anywhere to throw a cell phone.

In fact, so much of my 2006 Nautique top deck that was fiberglass had been replaced with cheap-looking plastic.

And the helm too. The G23 has one 6 x 8 LCD screen, which is probably able to display and provide for controls of the Space Shuttle ... if need be. But the Mastercraft set of 'bling' controls add to the 'wow' factor of the boat.

And so on ... with other minor comparisons. But overwhelmingly, in my opinion, Nautique has backtracked a little bit from its reputation of 'quality in build' and has let Mastercraft widen the gap it always has had, in more aesthetic build.

But that's just my opinion.