Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 04, 2009

Old     (rem_pss308)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-05-2009, 9:31 PM Reply   
When I accelerate above 3000 rpms it bogs, and backfires. It will still run, but when I go to neutral it is idleing high. ( about 1000 - 1200rpm)
I changed the fuel filter.
I checked the fuel pressure it holds 40psi at key turn on, and 42psi at half and full throttle. I changed the plugs. and everything else looks good.

the boat is a 1999 X-star with the LTR 350

any one ever have this problem?
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-06-2009, 4:26 PM Reply   
I dont think its the ECM. Did you take a fuel sample and make sure it looks good=no water. Just because you have good fuel pressure does not mean you are getting good volume. It sounds to me like you have a fuel pump going bad.
Old     (rem_pss308)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-06-2009, 5:20 PM Reply   
I did not take a fuel sample.

Is there a way to tell the volume?

I know Mastercraft is notorius for the fuel pump problems.

It just seemed like if there was pressure then there was fuel.
Old     (toneus)      Join Date: Feb 2007       09-06-2009, 9:26 PM Reply   
As the posters before mentioned you're looking for a fuel delivery problem. This is likely low fuel pressure at high throttle operation. Often caused by an old fuel filter, or water in your gas making it's way to the cylinder.

Changing out your fuel water separator filter is likely to go a long way. Not required, but you can test your fuel pressure by getting a gauge on the line.

After that make sure you don't have water in your tank. Many states have 10% ethanol gas. It attracts water!!! (http://www.boatus.com/news/e10_0706.htm) Read the article for the other issues.

You should treat your gas tank differently during use versus during storage. During the season, it's important keep your tanks full. Basically, ethanol sucks the water from the air. More of a problem in the high humidity states. This means that the more air space you have in your tank, the more water that the gas can absorb. Fill up after your days on the water, and keep the tank full often.

At the end of the season, you need to get as much gas out of the tank as possible to reduce the amount of water that the gas will be able to absorb.

I'm sure there will be various opinions on those two ideas, but they are important to remember.

Cheers!

-Toneus
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-07-2009, 4:56 AM Reply   
Where did you check your fuel pressure? I had the same symptoms last year and my fuel pressure elsewhere in the system read that it was ok, but at the fuel rail, it was high. The boat was running rich because of a bad fuel pressure regulator. Runs great since fixing the problem. Check the pressure at the rail if you haven't done that.
Old     (rem_pss308)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-07-2009, 9:27 AM Reply   
Thanks for the responses guys.
I have went thru about 4 tanks since the problem started.

I checked the pressure at the rail. using the shredder valve.