Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       08-06-2013, 11:38 AM Reply   
Currently I am using Collinite 885 paste wax, which is supposed to be the cats pajamas in terms of marine wax.

However, this stuff is thick, like a glue stick, removal is also less than pleasant.

I am using a Porter Cable 7424 to spread and remove the wax.

However, I feel like it is going on TOO thick, and creating a haze.

I just buffed my boat yesterday thinking it was oxidizing, but with the scratch of a nail on the black, it exposed a shine, this leads me to believe it was wax build up causing the haze.

So, what wax do you guys use, how often do you wax, what are your methods, and do you strip the wax every time you re apply, or throw a coat over the existing wax?

Sent from my futuristic Apple device while in my office doing nothing.
Old     (jrz1)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-06-2013, 2:02 PM Reply   
if your paint is in good shape to begin with, try Rejex for kicks. I love it. Very easy to put on/wipe off and seems to provide great, lasting protection.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       08-06-2013, 5:34 PM Reply   
I use the liquid colinite. Apply and remove by good old fashioned hand power! Yes it is a lot of work, but the protection it provides is worth it!
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       08-06-2013, 6:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebordr11 View Post
I use the liquid colinite. Apply and remove by good old fashioned hand power! Yes it is a lot of work, but the protection it provides is worth it!
How often are you re applying? And how often does your boat see water
(For gauge of application intervals)

Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       08-06-2013, 6:11 PM Reply   
Once, maybe twice a year... Our family boat usually lives on a mooring for summer... Colinite helps when you want to keep the waterline scum free, scrubs off with ease

I try to use a spray wax or wipe down the whole boat with 303 at times... White boat... It still shines like new but white is more forgiving...
Old     (Meyeronfire)      Join Date: Jul 2013       08-06-2013, 6:26 PM Reply   
Anybody heard or use Griots Garage wax products. I use that stuff on my vehichles and love it. Any chance it would damage or react differently on the gelcoat?
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       08-06-2013, 9:04 PM Reply   
Waxes and sealants for gel coat are different than that of automotive.

Using automotive waxes and sealants can actually accelerate the oxidation process on the gel coat.

Use only waxes and sealants that are recommended for gel coat.

But yes, I have heard tons about Griots

Old     (Fourspeednup)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-07-2013, 8:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmorlan View Post
However, I feel like it is going on TOO thick, and creating a haze.

I just buffed my boat yesterday thinking it was oxidizing, but with the scratch of a nail on the black, it exposed a shine, this leads me to believe it was wax build up causing the haze.

So, what wax do you guys use, how often do you wax, what are your methods, and do you strip the wax every time you re apply, or throw a coat over the existing wax?
Collinite offers outstanding protection but as you mentioned, it can be difficult to remove excess residue and tends to build up over time.

At Boat Bling, our research has shown the benefits of silicone polymer wax sealants over carnuba based waxes when used on gelcoat in marine applications. The issue is not the carnuba itself but the quality of carnuba. Pure carnuba is extremely expensive and very difficult to work with so the majority of readily available products at reasonable prices are usually comprised of a blend with other chemicals. In contrast, silicone polymer sealants tend to offer extended UV protection and by their nature do not create buildup or discolor once oxidized.

There are a couple different schools of thought on waxing. Many of our customers prefer to use a heavy wax once a year and maintain the gloss with a quick detailer periodically. Others apply 2-3 coats of 'fast wax' throughout the year. Neither is necessarily right or wrong, just different approaches. At Boat Bling, we designed Quickie Sauce as a fast wax making it especially easy to use, the trade off being you'll want to apply every 2-3 months to maintain ultimate UV protection.

If heavy waxes such as collinite are used, we suggest cleaning gelcoat thoroughly prior to application with a dewaxing agent such as vinegar or other mild acid to remove any old, oxidized wax buildup. This will ensure you're working with a fresh surface free to contaminants.

Feel free to reach out to me directly and I'd be happy to go into further detail.

zack@boatbling.net
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-07-2013, 9:23 AM Reply   
Meguiar's Flagship Premium Marine Wax once a year. I also cover the boat(everything but the windows and carpet) with 303 Protectant after every use.