Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       02-01-2013, 3:50 AM Reply   
How easy is the transition between these 2 i've been wakeboarding for 6 years now. Only really got time to be serious last year. I would say i'm low intermediate at wakeboarding. Going snow boarding for the first time a week from today. Just wondering how easy the transition is. Or any tips or tricks that could help me out.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-01-2013, 6:46 AM Reply   
Tip 1 - Keep your weight on your front foot.
Tip 2 - Take a lesson.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-01-2013, 7:34 AM Reply   
What John said. If you have good edge control and edge transition on your wakeboard then snowboarding will be easier. The main difference is that wake is pretty heavy weighted on the back foot and snowboarding is much more neutral. Snowboarding is different but IMO almost more fun, the freedom to pick your line and ride all day is liberating.
Old     (augie_09)      Join Date: Mar 2011       02-01-2013, 8:41 AM Reply   
ditto front foot. The snowboard will flex torsionally (sp?) when initiating a turn with your front foot, ie changing from heelside edge to toe side edge and vice versa, and the back foot edge will follow.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       02-01-2013, 8:52 AM Reply   
try and get a few hours on a skateboard before hitting the slopes.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-01-2013, 9:30 AM Reply   
Snowboarding is similar to wakeboarding if you are riding at a 15mph type speed like if you were practicing your surface spins or slides where you are using your edges more. Weight is more front foot. There is also a close similarity to surfing as far as your hip movements controlling weight distribution back and fourth for turning. Most people will usually spend a day or two on their butt before you learn the basics of turning heelside and toeside. Once you have that it's just a matter of being comfortable with it and adding speed to it. The faster you go the less work you have to do to turn as you can just rock from toeside to heelside.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-01-2013, 11:02 AM Reply   
I found the transition to be very easy but I had skied most my life previous to taking up boarding. Be sure and wear a helmet as you'll catch an edge and slam your head quicker than you can imagine.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-01-2013, 11:45 AM Reply   
I was in a similar boat a few years back, although I had been wakeboarding for a much longer time. Like the others have said you will put much more weight on your front foot as compared to wakeboarding.

Take a lesson. Heelside will be super easy for you but transitioning to toeside will take some practice. The best tip I got that made it click for me was to really turn my body (chest, hips, everything) back towards the mountain when initiating that turn from HS to TS. Over-exaggerate that turn at first...just trying to turn your hips may not be enough to get into a good TS edging position until you get the hang of it. Good luck and have fun!
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       02-01-2013, 4:54 PM Reply   
I tried it after wakeboarding for several years and snow skiing for even longer. I spent one day on icy conditions and didn't like it. I picked up the healside turns very quickly but the toes were tough. The scariest part for me was just coasting not turning and it seemed like out of no where I would catch an edge and eat it hard. Good ski pants and gloves are a must or your butt, knees and hands will be soaking wet and cold. After that day I put my skis on and haven't looked back.
Old     (jfergus7)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-01-2013, 10:32 PM Reply   
I went out last year and bought a snowboard without ever going before and gave it a shot. Actually found it to be much easier then I thought it would be. I think for me the biggest thing is making sure to stay on edge. Trying to ride flat and you will quickly catch and go down hard. I didn't get a lesson or anything but after a few runs down the hill I realy figure out keeping your weight on your forward foot really made a huge difference. I have already gone a few times this winter and hoping to go again next week. I am totally hooked now!
Old     (Anaru)      Join Date: Jan 2012       02-02-2013, 1:52 AM Reply   
I actually like snow boarding more then wakeboarding. Problem is I'm better at wake boarding lol
As said before toe side is much harder then heal. I made it my mission and went down the mountain toe side so I could get used to it. Now I'm as good toe side as I am heal. So I'd suggest work on your toe side first as heal will come more naturally.
Def get lessons to teach u the basics.
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       02-02-2013, 4:55 AM Reply   
I've gotten mixed messages on whether or not to take a lesson. So i'll give it a go the first half day and then go enroll in a lesson if i'm not picking it up too quick.. Is a helmet really necessary?
Old     (jfergus7)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-02-2013, 6:27 AM Reply   
I would wear one. No reason not to. Catch one edge and you will go down hard. Unless your in powder.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
Old     (Anaru)      Join Date: Jan 2012       02-02-2013, 12:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhartt3 View Post
I've gotten mixed messages on whether or not to take a lesson. So i'll give it a go the first half day and then go enroll in a lesson if i'm not picking it up too quick.. Is a helmet really necessary?
Just book an hr lesson won't hurt to do it.
I never wore a helmet, then one day in blizard like conditions I couldn't see an icy hill, board slipped out under me and smashed my head hard. Next day I had a helmet lol. Tbh the give u a little more confidence to go harder I think...
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-02-2013, 2:19 PM Reply   
Jess, never give up on snowboarding! Too many people think snowboarding is not good the first time the try it, but they are not really snowboarding. Learning how to snowboard is like learning how to get out of the water when wakeboarding. If you decided not to wakeboard because you could not get on top of the water it would be the same as deciding not to snowboard because you could not cut or stop healside and toeside, learn how to carve before you decide if you like it or not.
Old     (02ssv)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-04-2013, 7:31 PM Reply   
Very helpful tips as my wife is on her 3rd day learning and I had her read this thread and she is pumped to go back again and keep the weight on her front foot.
Old     (PureWakesurfing1)      Join Date: Sep 2012       02-04-2013, 8:50 PM Reply   
Definitely invest in a helmet, impact shorts, and wrist guards. You're going to fall until something clicks where it just comes to you, even then you're still going to fall once you get good and then it'll be at a faster speed. On a busy day you'll see at least a few people icing broken wrists from being out of control and thinking that putting your arms out to stop you is good idea. Lesson's will definitely benefit you, especially if you get a good coach. Lesson's are usually are really cheap. Most of the snowboard instructors are guys (or gals) who can really shred and it'll be a fun experience. Snowboarding is almost effortless once you realize what the board is doing under you and you'll be able to control the direction of the board with the smallest changes in weight. It helps to talk to some people about your size and see how they set up their bindings and stance. What works for one person won't for another, but if you're settings are all jacked up you'll fight the board. For example if you're stance is set 1" forward or backwards on a twin tip board, your weight is going to be off. Back to the beginning, don't be afraid of protective gear! I've been riding for close to 20 years, after being broke up from all kinds of sports I ride with full upper armor/back protector/lid/shorts/wrist guards. Nobody can tell, it doesn't slow me down, and it gives me the confidence to charge it and feel safe. Get some good googles too. I find that it's easier to see the dips or bumps in the snow better with amber or iridium style visor which in turn enables me to pick a better line at speed - but to each their own.