Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (SMLWinds)      Join Date: Sep 2014       08-21-2016, 6:03 AM Reply   
I am looking for a new wakesurfer. I have a Liquid Force Fish that serves as a nice beginner/intermediate board and I am now looking for a skim style board that will allow more tricks and maneuverability.

Not to be snotty, but money is of no consequence so don't worry about cost--factor that out. Furthermore, I know some folks will say go demo them and that is a fine recommendation but I would rather buy several than have to take the time to go somewhere and demo the boards.

So, if you were looking for a professional/advanced caliber skim style board on an unlimited budget, which ones would you be most strongly considering? I realize this is an opinionated question but your opinion is important so just let me know your personal recommendation for a surfer that can handle professional caliber tricks.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       08-21-2016, 6:05 AM Reply   
Inland surfer, soulcraft would be my top two
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-21-2016, 6:08 AM Reply   
For a skim board I'd look to victoria.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-21-2016, 7:28 AM Reply   
Phase 5 for skim
Old     (SMLWinds)      Join Date: Sep 2014       08-21-2016, 7:50 AM Reply   
Thanks guys! Any specific models I should look most closely at?

Also, just to make sure I am on target, a skim style board is what I want for spins and tricks, right? I will get more boards as I get better, but I wanted something different than the Liquid Force Fish that I got to get started.

Thanks!
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-21-2016, 9:11 AM Reply   
Any of the high end carbon fiber boards from Victoria or Phase 5 will be hard to beat IMO.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-21-2016, 9:14 AM Reply   
How much do you weigh?
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-21-2016, 2:02 PM Reply   
What tricks are you wanting to learn ?? A skim is going to be world's different then the fish. If you are wanting to do airs 360's and such a custom surf style board is what you want. For surf style soulcraft is my recommendation. With money no option I say get both.
Old     (SMLWinds)      Join Date: Sep 2014       08-21-2016, 3:35 PM Reply   
Thanks for the responses. As for weight, I am about 155.

I was under the impression that surf style boards were good for cutting and carving but if you want to do do 360's and spins that you wanted a skim style board. Is that not correct?

Is it fair to say that wake surfers are sort of one dimensional or are there "jack of all trades" boards? I am not at all opposed to buying a couple boards with different strengths. Which ones would you guys recommend?

Correct me if I am wrong, but the Liquid Force Fish that I have is pretty much a beginner/intermediate board that probably is not the "best" board for any specific tricks or moves, right?

Thanks for helping!
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-21-2016, 7:43 PM Reply   
Yes the fish is a beginner board for surf I would get in touch with soulcraft https://www.soulcraftboarding.com tell them your size and what you want to do and have them build you a board. Then shop around and get yourself a phase 5 skim you should have both styles anyways it's fun to switch it up http://phase5boards.com/boards/2016-diamond/
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       09-03-2016, 5:44 AM Reply   
Have a allaround board is never the best thing Because you gonna have an average board for both style instead of 1 beast for each. With my experience i'll prefer surfstyle. I've been riding for 5,6 years now, trying lots of boards, friends stuff or buying and return it the day after. For my opinion the best skimmer is phase 5 danielo. And the best surfstyle is the ronix koal Powertail. Money is not always the highest the best and tallest the best neither. The good thing with the power tail (i ride the 4,5" im 6ft 185lbs) is the fins option. Its a damn good board for air tricks and slashing and if you remenisce the good old spins you can put 1 center fin for skim. Its not a really good skimmer but when you already know how to 360 it does the job. Money is no problem and you like skimmer go with a phase5 diamond cut its the best choice and wont regret it.
Personaly i bought a soulcraft perfect for surfstyle. Slashing and make all the air tricks. Before custom a board its really important to know what you very like because their not such good re-saler their expensive and built on your size and needs. Me, I would not custom a skimmer, its kind of a "simple" board. You gonna have pretty the same for less money and for me im getting tired of skim really fast. But its my opinion good luck!

Last edited by Mike88; 09-03-2016 at 5:49 AM. Reason: Tapping error
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-03-2016, 11:11 AM Reply   
Check out Chaos Surf Company, better boards and accessories for all your needs.

As you progress it is best to stay away from wakeboard brands. You are paying hundreds of dollars for cheap $100 boards made overseas.

Yes, the fish is a beginner board. Not the most common as some people have trouble riding it, but it is easy to sink and pop up, but not really good for much else beyond light carving in the pocket.

Nick