Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (axeman)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-09-2012, 11:51 AM Reply   
Anyone know if the roll bar mount will work on a wakeboard tower? I'm got an 08 SAN 220. Boat is in storage so don't have diameter of the tower handy.

Any other places you would mount the GoPro to record people wakeboarding other than on the person wakeboarding?
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            08-09-2012, 11:56 AM Reply   
I know its going to come up...but video shot from the boat is not great bc you cant zoom in.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       08-09-2012, 11:59 AM Reply   
rope mount
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=789200
Old     (axeman)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-09-2012, 3:09 PM Reply   
I'm not too concerned with getting perfect video. Just want to be able to record what I'm doing right/wrong to help me progress... Can't be that bad right?
Old     (lakeskater)      Join Date: Sep 2009       08-09-2012, 5:28 PM Reply   
You will barely be able to see the rider. Heres a screenshot of GoPro video. The camera is mounted backwards on the drivers helmet and 60 feet from the rider.

I think the best way to shoot with a GoPro is from a towable tube using a GoPole, with the tube's rope about 7 feet shorter than the rider's.
Attached Images

Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-09-2012, 5:48 PM Reply   
I use go pro from my boat on the ski pylon. Works good for monitoring your riding.
Old     (AndrewC)      Join Date: Jan 2011       08-09-2012, 6:55 PM Reply   
The go pro 2 has a narrow field if view option and works fine from the tower. I have a 07 SAN 220 but do not use the roll bar mount. Instead I use the suction cap mount just in front of the tow point. The bar is about 3-4" flat across the top which works well
Old     (axeman)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-09-2012, 8:49 PM Reply   
That pic right there is good enough for me to see the form of a rider when hitting the wake. AndrewC, I hadn't thought of mounting it there. I will definitely try that out as soon as the suction mount comes in the mail.
Old     (axeman)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-09-2012, 8:50 PM Reply   
For the record, can't do the tube thing when it's just my wife and I. It's always one person riding and one person driving so no option for having a camera man/woman...
Old     (lakeskater)      Join Date: Sep 2009       08-09-2012, 9:44 PM Reply   
Using the suction cup mount and setting the FOV to narrow will probably be the best way to go. If it's too narrow and you ride out of frame on the flats you can try 127 degrees in 1080p and that will enlarge your image a little. To compare, the picture above is 170 wide angle, the picture below is 127.
Attached Images

Old     (axeman)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-10-2012, 1:49 PM Reply   
Another question. Any ideas on how to improve video in low light conditions? My test video last night was really grainy. Is this normal? 720p 60fps setting and 1080p 30fps setting did the same.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            08-10-2012, 1:52 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by axeman View Post
Another question. Any ideas on how to improve video in low light conditions? My test video last night was really grainy. Is this normal? 720p 60fps setting and 1080p 30fps setting did the same.
Do you have gopro or gopro2?
Old     (axeman)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-10-2012, 2:18 PM Reply   
GoPro 2
Old     (axeman)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-12-2012, 9:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewC View Post
The go pro 2 has a narrow field if view option and works fine from the tower. I have a 07 SAN 220 but do not use the roll bar mount. Instead I use the suction cap mount just in front of the tow point. The bar is about 3-4" flat across the top which works well
I tried this yesterday but it didn't work. The suction cup mount ended up falling off. I don't think it's wide enough. I ended up mounting it on the windshield pointing backwards. It works somewhat. I wish with that view I wouldn't get the driver in the FOV as well but oh well. At least from there I don't have to get up to start/stop the recording.
Old     (lakeskater)      Join Date: Sep 2009       08-12-2012, 10:46 AM Reply   
Maybe the adhesive flat surface mount will work. Or the large flat mount that the GoPro is shipped on could be ziptied to the tower.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-11-2012, 4:11 PM Reply   
The rollbar mount will work on a round tube tower. Yes you can see enough to see mistakes etc, is it ideal? no.

Here is barefooting longline this is using a suction cup mount off the back of the boat. Narrow setting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwJNNlrQtd0
Old     (annq42)      Join Date: Mar 2006       10-22-2012, 4:53 PM Reply   
You can get a good shot from the boat... but I will say its not as good as you hope... Here is a shot from the boat, then a tube. On the tube they have it on a pole with a float attached. I think you will agree while both are cool, the tube is a much better shot of the rider.

Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-27-2012, 3:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeskater View Post
Maybe the adhesive flat surface mount will work. Or the large flat mount that the GoPro is shipped on could be ziptied to the tower.
This is what we've done, 220 so same tower, stuck the flat mount to the underside works fine.
Just remember to set the camera to record upside down ;p
Old     (axeman)      Join Date: Aug 2009       11-30-2012, 7:07 PM Reply   
Thanks for the replies guys! I ended up using the suction cup mount on the fiberglass piece right in front of the engine hatch. That seemed to work pretty good and a closer shot of the rider. Nonetheless, the tube view is probably the best although it doesn't work if its just my wife and I!
Old     (zenxteninc)      Join Date: Oct 2013       10-20-2014, 7:52 PM Reply   
you can use this setup it rides on the rope...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yZY...Cw8jNylfU3wO1Q
Old     (PN)      Join Date: Sep 2010       08-31-2015, 9:46 PM Reply   
I just bought a Yamaha Tower cam mount and installed it on my tower. I had to add some tape strips to get it to fit tight enough on my tower roller, since it was made specifically for a yamaha tower, but now it works great. It is cheaper and more simple than the Wakeye and works great. Here is the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Tower...-/140905084005
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       09-01-2015, 10:42 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by PN View Post
I just bought a Yamaha Tower cam mount and installed it on my tower. I had to add some tape strips to get it to fit tight enough on my tower roller, since it was made specifically for a yamaha tower, but now it works great. It is cheaper and more simple than the Wakeye and works great. Here is the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Tower...-/140905084005
$189?????? that's ridiculous. You can get a GoPro rollbar mount for $30 and rig it up the same way. I mounted mine to the lower tow point because I was slalom skiing, but same premise would apply to the tower mount.

And way to bump a thread from 2012.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       09-01-2015, 10:44 AM Reply   
And to the original point of the thead (mounting a gopro to a tower). one of the cheapest and easiest is using a wrist mount:

They can be had for $5 to $10 all day long on ebay. I put some grippy shelf liner on the bottom of mine so it doesn't slip on the tower.
Old     (Orange)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-11-2015, 10:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by axeman View Post
I'm not too concerned with getting perfect video. Just want to be able to record what I'm doing right/wrong to help me progress... Can't be that bad right?
Agree. GoPro video shot from the boat is perfectly fine when used as a training device. It's not particularly interesting video if you are looking for cool video for memories or for posting/bragging to others. My boat used to have a camera mounted on the tower that tracked the rope (I didn't pay for it, believe me... it was already attached to the boat I bought used). The camera had roughly the same POV as a GoPro - maybe even slightly more zoomed. The video was *really* boring but was useful for seeing what I was doing right and wrong (mostly wrong).
Old     (Jibbo)      Join Date: Apr 2013       10-07-2015, 12:40 PM Reply   
Wakeye have just released a Gopro attachment specifically for Wakeboard towers , looks pretty cool.

Last edited by Jibbo; 10-07-2015 at 12:42 PM.
Old     (zenxteninc)      Join Date: Oct 2013       04-26-2016, 7:49 AM Reply   
Hopefully a rope mount will be available someday.. lots of folks workin on one..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0J8iJwLkEw
Old     (opers13)      Join Date: Feb 2016       06-01-2016, 2:29 PM Reply   
I'm using the wrist strap that came with the Hero3 on the tower. Works ok..but like others have said it's kinda far away
Old     (opers13)      Join Date: Feb 2016       06-01-2016, 2:30 PM Reply   
this: