Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (CHern5972)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-07-2014, 9:16 AM Reply   
I dont think people shy away because of my rules. Hell its pretty damn simple. Repsect my **** and we are cool. I like to throw down with the best of them and love a good time. Whats the deal.... Stop grab his/her board... shake it, wipe it and throw it in the rack. someone hands a towel... have a cold one, talk **** and the next is almost ready.... to me its not that hard... May i just have a kick ass crew that has always brought food, drinks, snacks, and always have a great time and killer surfing and wakeboarding.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       08-07-2014, 9:32 AM Reply   
I like the people that call me for rides every season using my boards,vests and wet/dry suits. Then they say they're thinking about buying a board,then you tell them how much they cost and they say that's too expensive.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       08-07-2014, 9:43 AM Reply   
Our usual crew is not real big. My gf and I, and a buddy and his gf. They also have a 5yr old who is kick ass.
We always have a blast, but I think I'm pretty lucky as they are awesome to boat with.
He helps me with the maint on the boat, while the ladies cook up some grub. Always helps with the wipe down while the ladies tidy up and empty trash.
Just last week we went out shopping and he bought a vest, and a new surf rope for the boat. Also a new nav light as mine was loose a bit from it being stepped on.
Always bring food and beer, never leaves the tank without a few bucks in my pocket. And they even tow the boat every now and again.

Not all my friends are like that though. I have the buddy that wants to plan the lake trip and invite people before even the boat owner knows. As said earlier in the thread. Who wants to bring people and show up empty handed, because "he has a boat, he can afford it"
No thanks. Not today buddy
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       08-07-2014, 10:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaSurfer View Post
you're a dick...
My buddy's a dick. He's clearly drinking a beer while surfing!
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-07-2014, 10:55 AM Reply   
I don't ask for gas money at all because most of the time if friends didn't come out I wouldn't have enough people to ride, and it's always a better time with friends. That's not to say I don't accept the money when they offer, but I never ask. When I go out on my buddies boats I usually don't give them any cash since they will eventually be on mine and I wont be getting any from them either.

In some of the other examples on this thread like you have a core group of people that board day in day out on your boat, that's a different scenario.
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       08-07-2014, 11:09 AM Reply   
Wrong thread Bryce..........lol

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showt...highlight=dick
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-07-2014, 12:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by pad1tai View Post
lmao!
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-07-2014, 1:34 PM Reply   
I feel bad for the guy, not being allowed to bring his drink on the boat . . . .
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       08-07-2014, 3:20 PM Reply   
I am on both sides of the fence.. I guess it just depends what group is with you that particular day. I have friends that invite themselves, use my equipment, drink my beer, don't help with anything... Those are the people I make chip in on gas. I also have friends that will go so far out of their way to help it is unbelievable. Those are the people get a pass on my boat. A little effort goes a long way as far as I'm concerned. If I'm out on a friends boat I help no matter what and offer to chip in on gas. Usually no one takes money, but when they come on my boat I won't let them either. It all comes back around when you have a good crew.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       08-07-2014, 3:59 PM Reply   
I think the people talking about gas really need to re-watch this video.
Old     (scott)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-07-2014, 9:35 PM Reply   
My two cents!

I can say that we never hit up our guest for money. When I was young taking my parents boat out for the day on the delta, you bet money, beer, and food was always always a concern. My friends would never go out for the day or weekend without filling the tank and bringing enough beverages, or food without me even asking. Now that I have my own boat and lake house, same thing applies. Then and now they always help me wipe the boat down at the end do the day. Every other week or third week, I pull the seat apart and give a good cleaning, hitting all the areas where mildew starts. My Sanger is a 2006 and looks like it did the day I brought it home. I unfortunately will not buy a boat every four year because I was to lazy or didn't take care of the boat because it's just a boat and dammit just use it till it falls apart. Then buy a new one so it looks killer that first ride and and then don't worry about cleaning it because damn I'll buy another $80k-$120k boat beacaue I'm to cool to clean it or take care of it. Yes I agree to use it and have a great time but if your friend can't pitch in and take care of your ride then maybe find some new friends or take their ride.

Okay I'm done!
Old     (AlbertaSurfer)      Join Date: May 2014       08-08-2014, 6:09 AM Reply   
Just because an owner doesn't make friends help clean, or ins't a junk food nazi, or let's people in wet doesn't mean they let their boat get run down, wrecked and worn out.

I always wipe down my boat, put some water absorbers down and cover it after a day at the lake. After a weekend, I get between the seats, vacuum the floor and suck water out of the ski locker. It's my hobby. I like bringing people along, and I want them to have fun. I've never had any stains, crumbs, or wet carpet I couldn't handle with minimal effort.

My friends bring fuel, snacks, bevy' or whatever. Mostly because we're adults... The boat is mine, so I take care of it. If a friend needs a ride to the airport, he doesn't have to wash the bugs off my truck after. If I'm standing in the parking lot at the lake, wiping my boat, sure, grab a rag... But I would never expect anyone to follow me home and do a cleaning, especially when some of you guys do a full cut and polish after every use. Your boat OCD shouldn't transfer to everyone who was to sit in a seat.
Old     (cedarcreek216V)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-08-2014, 7:38 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott View Post
My two cents!

I can say that we never hit up our guest for money. When I was young taking my parents boat out for the day on the delta, you bet money, beer, and food was always always a concern. My friends would never go out for the day or weekend without filling the tank and bringing enough beverages, or food without me even asking. Now that I have my own boat and lake house, same thing applies. Then and now they always help me wipe the boat down at the end do the day. Every other week or third week, I pull the seat apart and give a good cleaning, hitting all the areas where mildew starts. My Sanger is a 2006 and looks like it did the day I brought it home. I unfortunately will not buy a boat every four year because I was to lazy or didn't take care of the boat because it's just a boat and dammit just use it till it falls apart. Then buy a new one so it looks killer that first ride and and then don't worry about cleaning it because damn I'll buy another $80k-$120k boat beacaue I'm to cool to clean it or take care of it. Yes I agree to use it and have a great time but if your friend can't pitch in and take care of your ride then maybe find some new friends or take their ride.

Okay I'm done!

Or just find friends that are considerate and don't need rules to operate by and will naturally respect your property. Smart people, even non-boaters that are first timers, will observe others, mainly the owner, as do as they do without the need of a laminated rules sheet upon boarding.

I think we all have good friends and all, for the most part, respect our boat more than we probably should. We just get there in different ways that work for each of us.
Old     (Blueliner)      Join Date: Sep 2013       08-10-2014, 6:02 AM Reply   
Established adult with wife and kids here, not rich...just comfortable. I have so far refused all offers of gas money from guests whom we invite. Once my boys are old enough to ride with a regular crew of their choosing on their own then I think its different. My two have to be reminded constantly about the garbage though, the other day it was their friend who came running back and helped me pick up without asking.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       08-10-2014, 6:08 AM Reply   
Why are you making fun of my "laminated rules sheet"? You're so mean. That was funny. Thanks.

Actually, Before anyone can step onto my boat I make every rider buy (then I hand it over to them) one of these t-shirts from me for $24.95 plus $5.95 shipping and handling.
Attached Images

Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       08-10-2014, 11:16 AM Reply   
At the beginning of every outing, I have my girlfriend pass around each guest the laminated sheet of boat rules and regulations, while I proceed to the bow, with my handy wetsounds PA system.
I proceed to go over each and every rule, along with exit strategies, and location of personal flotation devices and fire extinguishers.
After each guest has signed a waiver, and the rules sheet.
Each guest is then assigned and given a towel, and a towel deposit is taken.
And finally before we commence on our outing, plastic is laid through the entire boat, and the fuel fee is paid.

I also have a handy SQUARE credit card processor on board, in case any of our guests would like a beverage.

Then we wish our guests a happy time!

Last edited by Jmorlan; 08-10-2014 at 11:19 AM.
Old     (rockballer)      Join Date: Jun 2014       08-10-2014, 12:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmorlan View Post
At the beginning of every outing, I pass my girlfriend around to each guest while I proceed to the bow to grab some handy wipes to clean each load off of her chin.
I proceed to go over each and every rule, along with exit strategies as they enjoy her personal flotation devices.
Each guest is then assigned and given a clean up towel.
And finally before we commence on our outing, condoms are handed out and the fee is paid.

I also ensure atleast one male has a tight bum on board, in case any of our guests surf both sides.

Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       08-10-2014, 12:09 PM Reply   

Last edited by Jmorlan; 08-10-2014 at 12:12 PM.
Old     (cedarcreek216V)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-10-2014, 1:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmorlan View Post
At the beginning of every outing, I have my girlfriend pass around each guest the laminated sheet of boat rules and regulations, while I proceed to the bow, with my handy wetsounds PA system.
I proceed to go over each and every rule, along with exit strategies, and location of personal flotation devices and fire extinguishers.
And finally before we commence on our outing, plastic is laid through the entire boat, and the fuel fee is paid.

I also have a handy SQUARE credit card processor on board, in case any of our guests would like a beverage.

I love it.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-14-2014, 1:47 PM Reply   
Baitkiller describes the kind of person on my boat and lakehouse but I never ask or gas, food, help it just seems to come. Part of the experience is enjoying the day and company, not being all wound up about about a cleanable surface. Maybe you need to be the type of person you want on your boat and invite those who you enjoy being around because they are probably a lot like you. To manage the process then enforce all the rules to the point of not having a good time...re-evaluate.

Most people are respectful of my stuff and if they are not they just need a little coaching on the whys and hows. Hey Gary the sundeck cannot handle all the weight of you and the kids. Later on Gary tells someone else the same thing. Of course there are some who never get invited back. A close friends wife is useless at helping but she is fun, happy, positive and a joy to have around. My other fiends wife works like a machine but bitches to much. Who do you want around.

I could fill my boat and fridge every time on the generosity of others but if I am at the gas station or grocery I just do it and good things seem to take their course. Somewhere down the line it pays off in spades with an invite somewhere as payback or some business opportunity for my company.

Drying off on the platform? You have to be kidding me. Sunlotion - I don't expect you to burn but I will explain why to keep it off the handle. Clean up - I only have to give some direction when asked what can I do to help.

Last edited by srock; 08-14-2014 at 1:50 PM.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       08-14-2014, 2:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by srock View Post
A close friends wife is useless at helping but she is fun, happy, positive and a joy to have around. My other fiends wife works like a machine but bitches to much. Who do you want around.

Whichever one looks best in a bikini
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       08-14-2014, 2:58 PM Reply   
True That!
Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       08-14-2014, 3:16 PM Reply   
We try to avoid red juice (bloody marys are exempt) and spray sunscreen as it stains plastic and aluminum. I have plenty of lotion for those without it. Other than that it’s pretty much have fun and don’t be a d_ _k. I never ask for fuel or anything else. Usually when we’re out it is close friends that we vacation together, BBQ with, or our kids play sports together. We get each other back as needed and have different income levels so some give more than others but it always works out. They always ask “What can I bring?” My answer is always the same as is theirs when we are BBQ-ing or whatnot “Nothing, I got it or a couple bags of ice”. What comes around, goes around. As far as cleaning goes, the girls usually clean up the inside and gather up towels, trash bags, etc. while I wipe it down and my buddies usually jump in to help. For the deep cleaning that’s on me.

And yes my boat gets wet. Not sure why some of you guys that don’t want your boat wet bought one in the first place.
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-14-2014, 4:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimewarranty View Post
Whichever one looks best in a bikini
Tim hit it on the head. I'm not rich by any means but my boat runs on good vibes. I take like minded people out on my boat. And even if they're not the best at helping out but they are respectfully enjoying the day, it's all good. If you have all these anal rules and you don't yet have kids, please don't reproduce. If water in your boat sets your OCD off, you'll lose your mind with some of the things kids do. I'm here for a good time. Not a long time.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-14-2014, 5:03 PM Reply   
It seems like most people on here aren't worried about getting gas money and that's cool but on top of all the other boating costs that would kill me. I have a close group of friends and we stop at the gas station on the way back and divide the bill there. If a friend invites a guest then they either pay the guests way or let the guest know how much to contribute. When we used to have a lot more new people back in the day, one or two of my friends would "spontaneously" organize getting gas money from everyone.

I don't think it's rude at all to tell new people coming on your boat to plan to bring a towel, sunscreen, snacks, liquids and gas money. I've lost no friends over this.
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       08-14-2014, 6:46 PM Reply   
Sounds like most people have pretty standard rules. But the drying off on the platform is really weird to me. I mean really no water in the boat? That reminds me of someone I took out and got mad when they got wet. If you're in the boat expect at anytime you could get wet.
Old     (jordanh)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-14-2014, 7:00 PM Reply   
I have a serious question. For those of you who think drying off on the platform is crazy.. Do you have a newer boat with snap in carpet? If not, please please please, tell me how you keep your boat from smelling like mildew? If I am out on the water on a Sunday night and my carpet in my 95 is wet,and I cover it up at night and pull it home I have to take the cover off and let it dry out the next day or it friggen stinks like mildew. One Sunday night we did a few sets and the carpet got soaked from riders, and ballast bags. That night I pulled it home. It rained Monday to thursday. I work 50 hr weeks so it's hard to find a few hours to air it out. On Friday i was scrubbing nasty **** off the carpet. I wish i didn't care about drying off on the platform... But keeping the carpet as dry as possible works best for me. PLEASE give me advice.

(I realize I have very bad run on sentences. But I'm on my iphone and tapatalk so I'm about to rip my hair out)
Old     (rockballer)      Join Date: Jun 2014       08-14-2014, 7:19 PM Reply   
My boat gets absolutely soaked from people. Not to worried about ut because it only gets used on nice sunny days. That means the nights are usually hot as *** and I just leave it uncovered for the night and it's usually dried out by lunch the next day. If it rains the next day all just vacuum it up. No worries. Have more important things to worrie about on a boat like drunk people drowning to be concerned about water in the boat . . . JM2C
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       08-14-2014, 7:22 PM Reply   
I don't have snap in carpet but I keep my boat inside storage so if it's wet I just leave the cover off.
Old     (jordanh)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-14-2014, 7:47 PM Reply   
See that's where I get screwed. I do not have a means of storing my boat indoors. Also in minnesota it can easily be blue skies and sunny at 6pm, and pouring at 8, and rain for 2-3 days after. I would rather ask people to quick towel off then not take the boat out. I guess everyone I ride with just does it so it's cool and I'm by no means a pain by asking for that. But any other pointers would be welcomed!
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-14-2014, 8:00 PM Reply   
Jordan, I have carpet through my boat and i could care less if it's constantly wet, it will eventually dry out. That not to say after a while it doesn't stink but it's the price I pay to have fun.

Pressure washer is key to getting the stench out, I keep washing until it comes out clean.
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       08-15-2014, 12:53 AM Reply   
Anybody know of a good mildew cutter for carpet? Also for those of you joking about card readers, I have a buddy who actually brings one with his boat and swipes people per set/amount of weight in the boat. I've been swiped for like $18.75 before because he seriously calculates it out and is a hardass about it. I get that gas costs money and all of the costs involved, but its laughable sometimes seeing him break it down like that. I'm glad to throw 10 or 20 when I'm out, but sometimes I just don't get it.
Old     (jordanh)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-15-2014, 3:21 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmaxymek View Post
Anybody know of a good mildew cutter for carpet? Also for those of you joking about card readers, I have a buddy who actually brings one with his boat and swipes people per set/amount of weight in the boat. I've been swiped for like $18.75 before because he seriously calculates it out and is a hardass about it. I get that gas costs money and all of the costs involved, but its laughable sometimes seeing him break it down like that. I'm glad to throw 10 or 20 when I'm out, but sometimes I just don't get it.

Now that's pretty crazy... I started the whole toweling off on the swim platform because another buddy of ours who use to own a boat started doing it. Doesn't affect our fun in the slightest amount. I guess for me it's actually easier to do that. When we get our DD loaded up it gets pretty cramped in there. If its a Saturday morning I usually don't care and even I jump in the boat soaked. If it gets closer to the end of the weekend, or it's overcast and a bit chilly when I know we will be leaving i try to keep it a bit more dry. So you guys take a pressure washer directly to your carpet to clean it then let it dry out?
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-15-2014, 4:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
I have a serious question. For those of you who think drying off on the platform is crazy.. Do you have a newer boat with snap in carpet? If not, please please please, tell me how you keep your boat from smelling like mildew? If I am out on the water on a Sunday night and my carpet in my 95 is wet,and I cover it up at night and pull it home I have to take the cover off and let it dry out the next day or it friggen stinks like mildew.
I had that problem in my old boat when I first bought it. PO didn't seem to give a crap about cleaning the boat and it smelled like pure funk. The problem is the mold is in there now. I ended up soaking the carpet in dilluted starbrite mildew and mold cleaner and just let it sit for awhile. After that I steamcleaned it with a standard steam cleaner rental and used some fabric softener after. Worked great and I did it every year before I winterized after that. Never had the problem again. Would just standard pressure wash it every few weeks which is the easiest way to clean carpet anyways imho but the initial clean got the funk out. Do you have any vents in your cover?

Quote:
So you guys take a pressure washer directly to your carpet to clean it then let it dry out?
I used to all the time. I did notice that if you use the pressure washers at the car cleaning places you need to be super aware of how close the nozzle is. I blew a spot up off the floor not paying attention once. We decided to get a lower pressure cheap power washer at the house just to clean the cars and the boat and kept our big boy for the house.

Last edited by williamburell; 08-15-2014 at 4:27 AM.
Old     (jordanh)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-15-2014, 6:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamburell View Post
I had that problem in my old boat when I first bought it. PO didn't seem to give a crap about cleaning the boat and it smelled like pure funk. The problem is the mold is in there now. I ended up soaking the carpet in dilluted starbrite mildew and mold cleaner and just let it sit for awhile. After that I steamcleaned it with a standard steam cleaner rental and used some fabric softener after. Worked great and I did it every year before I winterized after that. Never had the problem again. Would just standard pressure wash it every few weeks which is the easiest way to clean carpet anyways imho but the initial clean got the funk out. Do you have any vents in your cover?

I used to all the time. I did notice that if you use the pressure washers at the car cleaning places you need to be super aware of how close the nozzle is. I blew a spot up off the floor not paying attention once. We decided to get a lower pressure cheap power washer at the house just to clean the cars and the boat and kept our big boy for the house.

No i do not have vents in my cover. That is something I should probably look into. What's the best spots in the cover for them? My carpet is actually pretty nice and clean. It's just when I don't let it dry out completely the next time I take the cover off it smells a bit musty. Usually goes away pretty quick though.
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-15-2014, 6:59 AM Reply   
They make vents that attach to cover poles. My MC cover has a few vents on the sides
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       08-15-2014, 7:43 AM Reply   
Here are some tarp vents on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...vents&_sacat=0
Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       08-15-2014, 8:08 AM Reply   
Try tea tree oil marine cleaning and storage products. They naturally kill mold, mildew, and leave a fresh scent without any chemical residue or odor. Can’t remember the brand but I used to buy them at the boat show every year for my old Supreme with full carpet. Here’s a link. I don’t think this is the brand I used but its very similar. Worked awesome and that’s from someone who is not a granola, organic, Birkenstock guy. http://www.forespar.com/ttpower/
Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       08-15-2014, 8:15 AM Reply   
To clarify I use regular cleaning products for day to day (Babes, Boat Bling, 303, etc) but used the Tea Tree stuff for winter storage or if the boat ever had to be put away with lockers, carpet, etc still damp. I’m afraid if you keep your boat outside in a moist climate you will be cleaning it before you put it away and again when you want to use it even if kept covered.
Old     (jordanh)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-15-2014, 9:12 AM Reply   
Awesome, thanks for the idea on the vents. I'm going to pick a few of those up.
Old     (TomH)      Join Date: Jan 2014       08-15-2014, 9:25 AM Reply   
If you've got power close by, throw a small fan in the boat under the cover as well.
Old     (TC_Mastercraf_X5)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-15-2014, 9:31 AM Reply   
My biggest complaint is when people dive into the boat with their shoes on.
Old     (brianl)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-15-2014, 10:43 AM Reply   
In the past, I was very anal about my boat. I had one guy just light up a cig one time on my boat took a couple drags, he finally looked up at me and said, do you care if I smoke? I asked him if its cool if I used his towel to wipe my ass...he never lighted up again on my boat.

I seldom need to ask for gas money because my friends offer, but I do establish the rules before the boat touches the water.

What I am shocked about is the freak who crap's in the Lake. Who freakin does that? I'm 40, grown up on Lakes and I can say that I have never seen a single person crap in the water. If I even saw someone crapping in any lake, I would pull up next to you, and pull a Super Fly Snooka and elbow you in your face. You my firiend are just wrong!

I do take that back I did see one person crap in the Lake..good story tho. A Newbie just learning to ride try's to jump wake, she (yea she) lands on her ass. It was an ass slapper, we get back to her and she says, "I hit the bottom of the lake". I said no way the depth finder says it is 282 feet here. She reaches back in her shorts to show us the rocks in her shorts, and they were poo pellets. I have never let her live that down
Old     (Indyxc)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-15-2014, 11:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedarcreek216V View Post
Being old enough to have a wife and family and expecting gas money for pulls is unthinkable to me. I can see it if you are 25 and single and you take the boat ownership leap so your group of buddies can get on the water, but if you need or want money for pulls as an established adult just seems off to me. The most enjoyment we get is getting new people out to experience the lake life we have grown to love. Can't imagine doing that, having a great time then sticking my hand out for gas contributions for the day they just spent enjoying part of our life.
Sure, but it's all about reciprocity. I don't ask for money either, but ask that the person somehow reciprocate the favor. They may not have a boat, so maybe they can't take us boating, but they can invite us over for dinner, can bring beer for everyone, can bring food, can bring gas, can do a lot of things.

You putting your hand out at the end of a weekend, is no different that a person always coming over to put their hand out to ride. It's all about reciprocity.
Old     (Indyxc)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-15-2014, 11:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorlan View Post
at the beginning of every outing, i have my girlfriend pass around each guest the laminated sheet of boat rules and regulations, while i proceed to the bow, with my handy wetsounds pa system.

I also have a handy square credit card processor on board, in case any of our guests would like a beverage.

epic!! :d
Old     (ers906)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-15-2014, 12:00 PM Reply   
Those that think that other people's rules are so harsh that they are losing friends, can't find a third, etc, be thankful that you do not have to ride on their boat. Whatever rules they have work for their crew regardless of what you may think. While I do not have people dry off on the swim step, I certainly have thought about it. Most of the rules I have on my boat is to teach my kids to respect others property. If they learn proper etiquette (even if to some it looks like it is insane), then I have more faith that they will continue it into adulthood. The friends of theirs that come onto the boat and do not respect that it is not their property, have the parents that do the same. If the worst thing that I do as a parent (step-parent actually), is teach the kids to respect their property and the property of others, without hindering on their fun on the water in the slightest, then I feel like I have done a pretty good job of things. The kids dad never took care of his boats, cars, house etc and now he is bankrupt and has none of the toys, yet continually promises them to the kids. I would never speak down about their father, however, if I can show them that taking care of property and being fiscally responsible will help them in their future, that is my choice regardless of those that think that my rules are too strict. Just my 2cents
Old     (kimper)      Join Date: May 2008       08-15-2014, 12:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by baitkiller View Post
Example:
My good friend is pretty loaded and 6 years younger than I. He has a 3+M house in FL. and a 1+M vacation home in TN with an X2 and a dozen ATVs where he summers with his family. I dont make 10% what he does. When we go visit I grab the pile of jerrys from the barn and go fill them all up. On the way up the mountain I stop at the grocery store and stock a weeks food for 12 people including all the beer I can drink in a week plus extra for him.
I help cut fire wood and fix the ATVs or boat when there is a problem.
Am I ever asked to do any of this? Should I be asked? No> It gives me joy to be useful and I am grateful for the situation that he has created and i am enjoying.
I never ask to visit but am not surprised when I get the "when the hell are you coming up?" text.
I think that all us boat owners ask, be we rich in money or not, is that we be appreciated for our efforts. Nobody likes being taken for granted. Not helping with the gas and or boat is taking the situation for granted.
You sir are invited to the lake house with me anytime! I have a similar situation as your prosperous friend. I never ask our many many guests for anything. I feed them steaks and pull them for hours behind my boat... But it sure as hell goes a long way when the guests pitch in.
We used to invite this one couple with us all the time. It was actually an easier weekend when they came than when we went solo. They always brought one or two meals for us all, drinks, gas, wiped down the boat and cleaned their sheets and bathroom at the lake house. We miss them now that they have their own place at the lake.

Anyway, I do have some simple rules on the boat. No shoes, and no drinks/snacks that stain.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       08-15-2014, 1:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by phathom View Post
Wow. Some of these people seem either really new or really inconsiderate. There are definitely a few things everyone should understand even without boat experience.

-No shoes. A lot of people have a no shoes in their house. Why is it that unheard of when you're barefoot on the boat anyway? The only preferable type of boat shoes are flip flops, because they come off quick and easy.

-Gas money. If you're going to ride and aren't just going along to chill in the boat and flag or take pics for everyone, pay up. If you go out for a set, chip in at least $20 or 5 gallons. Boats don't run off hopes and dreams. It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if everyone did this and the owner actually rode for free for taking you out on their boat. When I get pulled by someone, if they won't take my gas money, I will stash it in their glovebox and tell them about it after the fact.

-Keep your garbage organized. If there is a boat garbage for your cans, wrappers, etc. Utilize it. If not, stash it in your bag or something and pack it out with you. Don't go riding on someones boat and leave your crap everywhere for them to clean up.

-Offer to help any way you can, whether it be helping with trailering and loading, cleaning out the boat, getting stuff setup for riding, and wiping the boat down. Be a help on the boat, not a burden.

-Don't get everyone and the boat soaking wet or dirty. Normally this applies to drying off on the platform or sun pad that everyone is referring to. If you do, clean it up, you brought a towel for a reason.

-Bring your own food/drink, maybe some stuff to share.

All the other stuff seems to be pretty specific to certain owners and boats, but that's what I think should be pretty universal and all of it just comes down to respect.
Desi rides on my boat quite a bit. He's pretty much our most frequent regular. There was one night where after the two guys chipped in, that I "only" spent $13 on gas to fill the boat back up. I nearly jumped for joy!

And yes, Desi actually puts in as much or even more work as "crew" than I do as owner sometimes. He's typically the guy that's literally jumping to get boards racked, get ballast bags out and pumps going, etc. I don't have to tell him what to do, he knows what's needed and jumps on it. It really takes a load off me and I VERY much appreciate it. And it makes it so that he's always on the top of the invite list...
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       08-15-2014, 2:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Being old enough to have a wife and family and expecting gas money for pulls is unthinkable to me. I can see it if you are 25 and single and you take the boat ownership leap so your group of buddies can get on the water, but if you need or want money for pulls as an established adult just seems off to me. The most enjoyment we get is getting new people out to experience the lake life we have grown to love. Can't imagine doing that, having a great time then sticking my hand out for gas contributions for the day they just spent enjoying part of our life.
Quote:
$150 hit for a day we can all enjoy is not a big deal. If it is you are playing the wrong game. Like I said above, our friends have other interests we don't have and when we tag along with them to participate in what they enjoy, the gas money is more than paid back. Should I also ask for a fee for staying at our lake house when we invite them since they don't have to pay for a hotel. Come on man, you gotta be better than that. My friends are some of the best people we know and no one in our group ever frets over a couple bucks worth of fuel money. We are fortunate enough to have a boat and a few vacation properties, what fun are they if we don't have friends along to enjoy them with?

To each their own, but people that put their hand out for contributions are part of our group of friends, those that do might suck.
I'd like to roll like that. And to some extent I do try. I love to host our friends and family but I'm also not on a baller budget. I bought my boat for $10k and financed 1/2 of it. It's my first boat. I've spent a few grand upgrading and maintaining it, and I notice that my boat eats my savings.

When I would only burn $35 an outing on gas, it really wasn't a big deal. But now that I pretty much always go $50 to $100+ every time we go out because we're a lot more into surfing, it got to the point where that was unsustainable on my "disposable" income. Last summer I was shocked when I burned through $700 to $800 in a month. I'm sorry, but I just don't have that kind of extra money laying around.

I'm not going to sell my boat. The fun and memories are fantastic. But I do have to watch my budget and accordingly I do accept gas money. I pretty much always say that "it's not expected, but it's very much appreciated". I prove that you can have a blast on a "budget" wake boat and we certainly share it as much as we can.

That said, we ski/snowboard all winter long, and if we bring friends with us in our car up to the mountain, we never ask for gas money (even though I'll burn the same $35 in gas going to/from the ski area).

Really accepting the money for gas simply allows me to keep functioning as the boating host. the majority of the time that money is "reinvested" into the boat in the form of upgrades or maintenance that make it better for everyone in the future.

Most of the time, people that don't own a boat have no clue the magnitude of gas that I'll burn through in an evening. Once they realize, they are typically happy to chip in.

As far as rules, the "no shoes" is pretty much commonplace and applies in mine. I try to have people use common sense with spray sunblock.

Now when I'm on someone else's boat, I'm MORE THAN HAPPY to throw them $20 to $30. Honestly, I couldn't imagine ONLY spending that much to take my own boat out, so it's a DEAL for me. And I have so much less responsibility as a passenger, it's like being on vacation.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       08-15-2014, 2:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanh View Post
I have a serious question. For those of you who think drying off on the platform is crazy.. Do you have a newer boat with snap in carpet? If not, please please please, tell me how you keep your boat from smelling like mildew? If I am out on the water on a Sunday night and my carpet in my 95 is wet,and I cover it up at night and pull it home I have to take the cover off and let it dry out the next day or it friggen stinks like mildew. One Sunday night we did a few sets and the carpet got soaked from riders, and ballast bags. That night I pulled it home. It rained Monday to thursday. I work 50 hr weeks so it's hard to find a few hours to air it out. On Friday i was scrubbing nasty **** off the carpet. I wish i didn't care about drying off on the platform... But keeping the carpet as dry as possible works best for me. PLEASE give me advice.

(I realize I have very bad run on sentences. But I'm on my iphone and tapatalk so I'm about to rip my hair out)
I don't cover my boat for trailering. the vast majority of the time I trailer 15 minutes to/from the ramp. One trip we did was 3.5 hours to the lake and sadly it was raining when we left. I found out quickly that my cover does more damage while towing than protection. So I just put the snap on bow cover in place and towed it in the rain. It was dry by the time we launched the next morning.

I will often leave my boat uncovered. It lives in the open RV parking beside my house. And when we're having a streak of nice weather, I leave the cover off. I figure it's a trade off between letting things breathe vs. having it out in the sunshine. Plus it takes me about 10 minutes to get the boat all covered up with poles and bungee cords keeping everything tented up perfect so the rain won't pool.

This fall I'm hoping to get a metal carport built in the back yard that I can back the boat into for the winter. MAYBE I'll even use it during the summer if I modify my fence so the gate opening is wider. Right now I've only got a couple inches on each side if I were to back the boat through the fence.
Old     (cedarcreek216V)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-16-2014, 5:12 PM Reply   
I think at the end of the day we are all pretty much operating under the same pretense, just have fun and be respectful. If someone has a consistent group that rides and only one person has a boat, then for sure contribute financially, mechanically or however you have means to. By no means did I want to come across as an a hole who doesn't respect or appreciate the fact that people have rules or expectations.
Old     (Thrall)      Join Date: Oct 2010       08-17-2014, 10:48 AM Reply   
I think it boils down to some people are just clueless while others "get it".
We have moved around the country a lot so we tend to get new friends coming out with us probably more than most.
A lot are boat noobs but it's pretty easy to take your shoes off, help with duties and just have a good time.
Friends come over and help with maint sometimes. One buddy helped install my tower on the old boat, tow to the lake, etc.
Have a long time friend that seems him and his family never get it.
We used to take an annual trip with friends to the Ozarks. 3-5 families, 3-4 boats.
These folks never got a boat and don't intend to (they do have the means and really enjoy it, just too cheap or not a priority to them). Either way it's all good, to a point.
This is the guy that will throw down once in the week to fill up one of our boats and think he's chipped in enough when we are burning $300-400 per day in gas between all the boats. Used the rationale one year that he brought 2 dinners for everyone so that was his contribution! Hello??
Every family dropped $500 on food for the week, not just you!
Shoes.... Took years but they finally got that one figured out!
Catching the dock or holding the boat away from the dock, is a separate request everytime. Still working on that one....
It's frustrating because it's not like we are boat nazis. Food, drinks are a plenty on the boat.
I cringe a little at Cheetos but I like them too so the kids just gotta eat them on the back deck. Pretty much anything else is fair game.
That said, thy are good friends and that is with more than I little boating ignorance.
Old     (WheelerWake)      Join Date: Mar 2013       08-17-2014, 1:07 PM Reply   
This is all interesting reading. We really don't have any of these issues, mainly because just about every guest we have on our boat is one of our daughter’s friends. Our boat rules are pretty relaxed (safety related mainly) and wouldn't expect/ask the kids parents for money since we invited them. Any kid usually only goes with us 2-3 times in a summer and they all do just what they are told without question.

The only issue I've ever had is parent related. It's happened a couple of times. We might have a 2 hour "window" of time to go out and a parent is close to an hour late dropping off their kids. These don't get invited again.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-17-2014, 1:36 PM Reply   
Not a boat owner but a damn good third on two different boats and always chip in on the gas.

Every time this discussion is up, I like to draw this analogy... If you invited you buddies golfing, they probably would not expect you to pick up the greens fees. If you get together with another couple for dinner, they probably don't expect you to pay for theirs. I can't figure why so many people expect the boat owner to pay the cost of everyone's fun for the day.
Old     (rplogue7)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-17-2014, 3:06 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebrdjay View Post
i like the people that call me for rides every season using my boards,vests and wet/dry suits. Then they say they're thinking about buying a board,then you tell them how much they cost and they say that's too expensive.

word.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       08-17-2014, 4:02 PM Reply   
The 2 hour window thing...oh my....I had a guy, that is actually a great winter friend of mine, we snowboard tons together, actually come over to my house come out into the back yard and ask me why I hadn't already gotten the boat out of lift and everything loaded before he got there. Because you know - he is on a tight schedule.

I told him his $5/per run, which includes gas of course, and board / binding rental, using my life jackets, and my wet/dry suits....did not include that level of service. You gotta actually help.

He actually came over today, saw that it looked like it was going to rain and left right away. Some of my better friends actually would hang out have a drink and chill for a while before and after.

You can tell who your real friends are by how fast they leave after you take them out on the boat.

Last edited by scottb7; 08-17-2014 at 4:05 PM.
Old     (jayson_49)      Join Date: May 2007       08-17-2014, 4:29 PM Reply   
I used to take a bunch of friends snowboarding (when we used to have snow in tahoe). They'd pitch in for gas but I never asked and I also never paid for their lift tickets either..pulling riders costs money especially loaded up with ballast. I can't see spending over $150-$200 for everyone else's fun..
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       08-17-2014, 5:13 PM Reply   
Good analogy guys... But I wonder if you owned the golf course, ski resort or restaurant, would these peeps expect you to pick up the tab?..
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       08-17-2014, 7:39 PM Reply   
Of course the socialist bastards would - if you owned the golf course, ski resort, or restaurant would EXPECT you to pay. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/From_ea...ng_to_his_need
Old     (lakeboyz)      Join Date: May 2005       08-17-2014, 8:33 PM Reply   
in response to mildew odors in boats, my wb boat is 15 years old when u pull cover back it still smells brand new. Heres the secret....#1 I am a 30 year water damage restoration veteran
# 2 buy a small $60 air mover or Patton makes steel fans for around $50 or best if it can be afforded is a $ 200-250 air mover. Take your towels throw on carpet while unloading and cleaning up. Gets a little more water out. Then put cover on and preferably put large air mover or at very least a high powered fan and let run for 2 days. Should be bone dry. If it still smells like mold, power wash and shop vac until carpet shows no colored particulate moving in water while power washer (350psi min.) May have to spray and suck 5 to 10 times then spray with antimicrobial liquid. (lowes home depot) Unless boat is trashed this works. Large air movers will use a dollar a day in electricity, 20 times to the lake 20 bux to keep interior perfect. Also Microban is a antimicrobial found on many websites for $25/gallon and easily last a couple years. Would spray a 20 foot boat 10 to 20 times with a gallon. Even if u don't have odors, a fan in the boat covered after use keeps interiors the best shape.
Old     (TundraA22)      Join Date: Jan 2014       08-18-2014, 3:25 AM Reply   
We don't except money from anyone.. But we all ride with each other so it all comes around. Prior to me getting a boat though, I rode behind my buddies boat. I would offer gas money and he would never take it, but I am one hell of a good boat cleaner. He said his boat never looked so good, I am very OCD so I would clean areas of the boat most would skip over. I also went and bought a shop vac FOR HIS BOAT. We also have campers on permanent sites and eat dinner together. We all pitch in for dinners. I am known in 4 states for the best French Frys, I have the potatoe cutter mounted to the tree! Who doesn't love fresh cut frys???

The key to mildew free carpet (also clean). We do not keep water out of the boat. There are tons of kids on and off all day and that just seemed like a daunting task. Sooo I bought the Shop Vac and every time we get off the water, I fire the shop vac up and you would be amazed at how nice your carpet will stay. It sucks all the nasty dirt and water out and leaves with a mostly dry carpet. For an added bonus to all the water in your boat just put a drop of dawn dish liquid in the bottom bilge kicks it out and gets rid of any slime
Old     (Lopott)      Join Date: Apr 2014       08-18-2014, 5:19 AM Reply   
2013 mc x30
Adults can wear shoes, kids no
Cheetos everywhere, but graham crackers are the worst
A few dogs
Don't care about gas money, gauge doesn't work, nice job mastercraft

My REAL pet peeve

Anal mothers and their 9 million bags of crap for their overly cared for children. I have a big boat and these women are filling up every storage space because junior may get cold, have asthma, break a leg, need a nap, want to hear Elton Jon in concert (thats the baby grand). These are things that teach a kid to be a bad boat guest. Rant over but still got some pent up angst. Better go suck my thumb.
Old    dbrayton1            08-18-2014, 8:09 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopott View Post
My REAL pet peeve

Anal mothers and their 9 million bags of crap for their overly cared for children. I have a big boat and these women are filling up every storage space because junior may get cold, have asthma, break a leg, need a nap, want to hear Elton Jon in concert (thats the baby grand). These are things that teach a kid to be a bad boat guest. Rant over but still got some pent up angst. Better go suck my thumb.
Amen, you just described my lovely wife ;-) I go to the dock with my boards, one towel and a credit card for gas, ice, drinks, snacks. My son is fine with that approach. When she and other moms join we look like we are prepared to survive on the water for days!

And I'm with you on the rules. Mine are primarily focused on keeping kids from falling out or getting in the way/hurt when docking. Mainly because my wife won't let me be a jerk about the other stuff ;-)
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-18-2014, 8:25 AM Reply   
For me it is simple - it is a matter of respecting me, my time and my boat. You don't, you won't be back. We won't fight or argue. No different rules for the rest of my life with friends or employees- Respect me, my time and my life or you will not be a part of that. For that I will do the same. I have zero tolerance for less than that -- I don't keep riding partners or friends that do not respect my time or lift. Life is too short to put up with drama or hang with people that you don't care for.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       08-19-2014, 3:56 PM Reply   
So, I was out on the boat last night. I had my 8 year old son and my buddy brought his 8 year old son and 10 year old daughter. His kids are admittedly a handful but between the two of us we did our best to keep things in check.

That said, I was bringing the boat straight from work to the launch, so stopping somewhere and grabbing my son and I a quick dinner wasn't really feasible. I told him to let me know if he was stopping anywhere. He said he already had snacks, but offered to stop by Burgerville (it's a pretty awesome Portland/Vancouver burger chain) and get us some food.

We were on the boat pretty much all evening, getting in at dark. He jumped off and backed the truck down, and then did all the wipedown of the boat. After everything was said and done, he said thanks and palmed me some gas money. I really didn't even look at it until I was driving away when I realized he threw me $50! I was blown away. Especially since we only went through $25 that night. We did more swimming/floating than anything. And we threw in a quick surf set, but with minimal ballast so not much gas was used.

I text him that night and told him that I was WOW'd and thanked him for his generousity and told him that he was welcome on my boat ANYTIME.
Old     (rockballer)      Join Date: Jun 2014       08-19-2014, 6:11 PM Reply   
WOW.... sounds like someone should be giving out hand jobs... quick hand job and you could turn that 50 into a quick hundy.....

LOL solid story... wish I had guests like this... I need new friends....
Old     (jordanh)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-19-2014, 6:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by trayson View Post
So, I was out on the boat last night. I had my 8 year old son and my buddy brought his 8 year old son and 10 year old daughter. His kids are admittedly a handful but between the two of us we did our best to keep things in check.

That said, I was bringing the boat straight from work to the launch, so stopping somewhere and grabbing my son and I a quick dinner wasn't really feasible. I told him to let me know if he was stopping anywhere. He said he already had snacks, but offered to stop by Burgerville (it's a pretty awesome Portland/Vancouver burger chain) and get us some food.

We were on the boat pretty much all evening, getting in at dark. He jumped off and backed the truck down, and then did all the wipedown of the boat. After everything was said and done, he said thanks and palmed me some gas money. I really didn't even look at it until I was driving away when I realized he threw me $50! I was blown away. Especially since we only went through $25 that night. We did more swimming/floating than anything. And we threw in a quick surf set, but with minimal ballast so not much gas was used.

I text him that night and told him that I was WOW'd and thanked him for his generousity and told him that he was welcome on my boat ANYTIME.

Wow, thats awesome!

On the flip side, I had arguably the WORST day of boating on saturday. Our usual crew is a good female friend of the couple, my wife, and I. my brother in law was also joining us later in the day. The weather said it was suppose to be about 9-10 mph winds all day. We only get weekends so its what we have to deal with. We figured we'd just hug the sheltered side of the lake and make the best of it. We got out at about 11am and it was pure glass! the riding was great. at about 2 we were taking a break and I was messing with some stuff in the boat. Then I seen a couple putting up to us in a small john boat. They introduced themselves and asked if I would swap a case of beer for a few pulls. I have never had a stranger on my boat before, but reading stuff on here I figured id give it a shot and said sure. He said he would be back on the lake at 6 to meet up. In the mean time it got reeaal nasty. high winds and started to sprinkle. the weather held out and six rolled around so we picked up the couple to go out. i asked for their shoes at the dock and they loaded on the boat with no towels, no jackets(i have extra), my beer, and their bottle of malibu. he says he hasnt been on a board in about 8 yrs. he got up first pull and was pretty shaky. he eventually caught a toe edge and fell. I pulled him up the second time, he cut out hard, edges in and busts a tantrum to belly flop. at this time i was pretty concerned he was going to hurt himself. i asked him to come in and take a breather. he asked if his wife could give it a shot as she had never been out before. we handed over my wifes board and she got in the water. looong story short it ended up with him yelling at her, her almost in tears, and mean about to lose it. I was so focused on her in the water that i didnt see my bro-in-law and him polish off that whole bottle of malibu. she got back in the boat and I was trying to make up excuses to get back to land. he asked for one more pull and i agreed. this was before i realized how drunk he was. he went to get my board out of the rack and dropped it on the gunnel of my boat so first pull, falls on face, second pull, falls on face, third pull, falls on face. this is when i realize hes smashed. I got him in the boat and rushed for shore. we pulled up to his dock and the two put their shoes on and started climbing out my bow. after that we started to leave and i see he also drank 5 beers out of the case I got for payment. to top off the night we got back to our local dock and had a run in with a drunk on a pontoon. thankfully his wife was there to shut him up!