Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (bmock50)      Join Date: Feb 2011       10-09-2013, 1:42 PM Reply   
Yesterday, the woofer part of one of my pro 80s stopped working. I didn't really think much about it, thought it was a loose connection or something. Today I went out, and neither of the woofers are working, and the horns sound like crap.

My system goes rca input to ws420 to ht4 to pro 80s. I've deduced that its not the ws420, or headphone cord, I have yet to try different rcas, but I think its either something with the amp or crossover in the speakers themselves.

If I change the x over on the amp from hi to full, theres no change, and from full to low, nothing plays.

I'm trying to think if anything unusual has happened recently, but can't think of anything.

Any ideas?

Last edited by bmock50; 10-09-2013 at 1:49 PM.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-09-2013, 3:00 PM Reply   
I find it odd that 2 speakers have gone out one day after the other. I think the problem is upstream of the speakers themselves. How have you determined its not the EQ? Swapping the in-boat and tower RCA cables at the EQ will tell a lot.
Old     (bmock50)      Join Date: Feb 2011       10-09-2013, 3:52 PM Reply   
I completely bypassed the eq and went 3.5mm headphone to rca to amp and had the same problem, I used the same rcas that were used before though.
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       10-09-2013, 3:56 PM Reply   
Have you put the amp outputs onto different speakers? Or tried the Pro80s on a different amp..like your interior amp?...
If that doesn't make a difference, open up the pro80 and make sure the crossover is intact...
Old     (bmock50)      Join Date: Feb 2011       10-09-2013, 4:04 PM Reply   
I don't have any other speakers/amps. I have them pulled apart, and everything looks good. No corrosion on the crossover or missing wires or anything.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       10-09-2013, 4:06 PM Reply   
It would be possible but rare that something upstream in the signal path would allow just the horn tweeters to play but not the midbass speaker, and be common to both channels.
You can substitute a temporary speaker or pull the Pro80 midbass speaker out and access it's terminals directly thereby bypassing the internal passive crossover (please do not do this with a tweeter). This will quickly confirm if the problem is within the speaker or prior to the speaker. This will also bypass the speaker's internal passive crossover and either confirm or eliminate this as a cause.
Keep this in mind. A speaker with a badly burnt voil coil CAN heat up and play until it cools then never play again. If both midbass drivers have burnt voice coils, then this would fit your description. Usage is what they would have in common.
Btw, a horn tweeter, or any tweeter for that matter, played in isolation (all harmonics and no fundamentals) will sound awful. So if the tweeter sounds uncomfortable playing alone that would be expected and by itself means very little.
If you suspect the EQ, however unlikely, simply reverse the inboat and tower zones.
Make sure you confirm good audio grounds on all components and confirm voltage. While these issues may not be the reason for today's inoperative components, this can contribute to problems.
Old     (bmock50)      Join Date: Feb 2011       10-09-2013, 4:15 PM Reply   
I'll try plugging in a speaker i have laying around and see what I can come up with. I wouldn't think the vc's would be burnt from my usage, but who knows.
Old     (bmock50)      Join Date: Feb 2011       10-09-2013, 4:25 PM Reply   
It looks like I threw all my old speakers away, or hid them way too well. Any other way?
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       10-09-2013, 6:59 PM Reply   
Yes, run a jumper from the tower amplifier output to one of the inboat coaxials to verify fullrange operation.
Old     (bmock50)      Join Date: Feb 2011       10-09-2013, 9:53 PM Reply   
That'd work except I don't have any inboat speakers. I may just pull a speaker out of something tomorrow and try that.
Old     (bmock50)      Join Date: Feb 2011       10-10-2013, 1:16 PM Reply   
So I went out and hooked just one of the speakers up, and the woofer played for 5ish seconds and then stopped, and I couldn't get it to play again. So I unscrewed the crossover from the housing, and pressed play with just the woofer part of the speaker hooked up. Weirdest thing ever, I could faintly hear the song playing from the crossover. I don't know if thats normal, but I've never heard of that happening.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       10-10-2013, 2:13 PM Reply   
Well, there is a series inductor in the lowpass section of the Pro80 passive network. Have you had a lot of metal dental work?
Old     (bmock50)      Join Date: Feb 2011       10-10-2013, 3:12 PM Reply   
Haha nope, I actually haven't had any.