Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (TyTimp)      Join Date: Oct 2014       10-06-2014, 5:01 PM Reply   
I’m an intermediate rider looking for a board entirely for boat use. I used to wakeboard all the time when I was a lot younger but don’t get out too often anymore. The last board I bought, which is my current board, is a 2006 Hyperlite Parks. Those of you who know the board know how aggressive and unforgiving it is. Plus, it’s like riding with cement blocks on my feet compared to how lite todays boards and bindings are. I’ve been wanting a new board for years but couldn’t justify it since I don’t ride too often anymore. However, I recently tried a friend’s 2013 Ronix Quarter Til Midnight and loved it. It fits my riding style so much better than my old Parks board. After years of saying I need a new board I’m finally going to get one. I just need some input on what board to get. I’m on a budget since I don’t ride much anymore. The way I like to come off the wake is more of the ramp style than the explosive vertical pop. It keeps me on balance.
I’m looking at the Ronix Bill (which is the QTM), Ronix William (Stiffer Bill) or Slingshot Recoil (found a good end of season deal). I think I’d like the William because the added stiffness may be better suited to my aggressive riding style but its way above my budget. I loved the Bill/QTM. Nice Speed and soft landings. I’ve heard so many good things about the SS boards but I’m afraid of buying without trying. Because of where I am I cannot demo the boards unless it’s a friend’s board. My concern with the Recoil is that it won’t be very forgiving due to the thin stepped down side profile. Also, I don’t know how loose it will feel with a featureless bottom. I want a board that tracks well. Last year I tried a friend’s Ronix One and hated it due to how loose it felt.
I am a fairly aggressive rider so I do want a board with really good edge hold but still be forgiving and have soft landings. How flexible is the Bill compared to the Recoil? Any advice on what board would be best for my riding style and needs would be appreciated.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-06-2014, 6:06 PM Reply   
The Recoil is probably too loose for you. Judging from the sound of it, you would like the SS Lyman. If you ever get a chance to ride a Slingshot, then do it. They are not for everyone but most like them. Dont worry about the thin profile. I haven't noticed it being less forgiving. I don't have any advice about the Ronix boards.