Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (jcon44)      Join Date: Aug 2012 Location: denver, NC       09-30-2014, 6:40 AM Reply   
A friend sent me this yesterday, looks like they are trying to create new no wake zones in certain coves on Lake Norman.

The WSIA has issued this via the Water Sports Alert Network about the possible prohibition of wakeboarding and wakesurfing in certain coves of Lake Norman, NC. Please forward to anyone you know in the Charlotte area who would be interested in attending this meeting and making their voice be heard.

Posted: 9-29-14

The Water Sports Alert Network (WSAN) is your ALERT system to let you and your
dealers know what is going on in their area and in other parts of the world that could affect
them. This network comes to you via courtesy of the Water Sports Industry Association
(WSIA). It may be the most important information you share. Please forward this
document to your dealer network that supports the Lake Norman, North Carolina
area.

WHO: Wakeboarders, Wakeskaters, Wakesurfers, and all power boat enthusiasts

WHAT: Prohibition of the activity of wakeboarding and wakesurfing in certain
coves of Lake Norman

WHERE: Lake Norman, North Carolina

WHEN: Lake Norman Marine Commission meeting is October 13, 2014; 7:00
pm; Charles Mack Citizens Center

WHY: Dock owners and property owners have complained to the Lake Norman
Marine Commission that wakeboard/wakesurf boats are causing shore
erosion and property damage. They are seeking to have “no wake zone”
signs posted in certain coves. At this time, the WSIA does not know the
names of the coves in question. It is in your best interest to attend the
above meeting so your voice and concerns can be heard. Do not expect
someone else to do your bidding. In order to protect your rights to use
Lake Norman for wakeboarding and wakesurfing, you must attend the
above meeting.
Old     (lhlocal)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-30-2014, 1:49 PM Reply   
Do some quick research. The same thing was going to happen on our entire lake. A 12 mph wind will do far more damage than a boat wake. A 12 mph wind is a series of waves battering the shore/dock fir hours on end. A boat wake is 5-6 rollers and then gone. I'm sure it's a deeper issue than erosion. This was the case for us.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-30-2014, 2:41 PM Reply   
If they had a natural shoreline then they most likely wouldn't be having erosion problems.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       10-01-2014, 8:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhlocal View Post
Do some quick research. The same thing was going to happen on our entire lake. A 12 mph wind will do far more damage than a boat wake. A 12 mph wind is a series of waves battering the shore/dock fir hours on end. A boat wake is 5-6 rollers and then gone. I'm sure it's a deeper issue than erosion. This was the case for us.
This is a very, very good point. It most likely is some other issue though. Such as those that have houses there are devout slalom skiiers/barefooters and wake sports = the devil!
Old     (TomH)      Join Date: Jan 2014       10-01-2014, 9:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Such as those that have houses there are devout slalom skiiers/barefooters and wake sports = the devil!
Really? How do you come up with that when they're asking for a no wake zone in the particular coves.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       10-01-2014, 10:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomH View Post
Really? How do you come up with that when they're asking for a no wake zone in the particular coves.
By them doing this and hoping that by them getting this through, they will have a foothold to try to expand it. They will be able to say, "See, how well this worked here, it's all because we stopped the wakeboats from coming, we should do something like this everywhere and stop these big wakes"

It's the frog in the pot of boiling water scenario.

We have areas around here that have ridiculous restrictions that started off slow like this.
There are some areas where you can't have a boat over 21'0" total, even if it's a 21' class boat.
You can't have boats that have hulls designed to make a bigger wake, this is to be determined by the lake's inspector.
You can't have any wake enhancing devices, no wedges, sacks, tanks, lead, cement, etc.
You can't put every on your boat in one side to make the wake bigger.
You must have everything that could do all this removed or permanently disabled, and signed off by the lake's inspector.
Breaking any of these or trying to circumvent it, results in a fine. Doing it again will get you another fine and your boat removed and banned from the lake.

I could be looking into it more than it is, I don't know the specific lake, so it could be an area where there shouldn't be any wakes in the first place. But then again...
Old     (burban89)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-01-2014, 11:08 AM Reply   
I use to live on that lake and now live on a lake down the river. I believe the issue stems from the surfers and wakeboarders that go into the small coves and ride. I mean coves that you can hardly turn around in and you are way to close to docks by law.

I am a wakeboarder more so than a surfer and try to respect people by not going into those tight coves on any lake. I have seen and heard of plenty of stories where the bouys (styrafoam etc) under the docks come loose due to large wakes passing so close. If those are the areas they are talking about you have to understand it is most likely illegal to ride there any way.

It does suck cause as mentioned it could spread across to all areas of the lake. I think if some riders were more respectful of their surroundings it would be less of an issue. But we cannot fix that problem either.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       10-01-2014, 11:17 AM Reply   
^Exactly. It only takes a few inconsiderate people to ruin stuff for everyone.
From your account of the lake, it sounds like it's in areas that are already illegal to ride in by being too close to the docks in the first place, but just aren't marked. It sounds to me like they are just trying to get it marked to get people to pay attention to it. If that is indeed the case and it stays there, not the entire lake, then more power to them getting it put in.
Old     (jcon44)      Join Date: Aug 2012 Location: denver, NC       10-01-2014, 1:09 PM Reply   
Currently the rules are 50yrds from shore, other boats or structures. I agree with the above that its probably people not following these rules that are the issues. I live in a cove narrower than 100yds so its by law a no wake zone, we had bouys but as of a few weeks ago they are gone. Its amazing how many people just don't know the rules.. It will be interesting it hear what is said at this meeting as the information above is vague at best.
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-02-2014, 6:10 AM Reply   
Everyone who rides on Lake Norman should attend this meeting. If they start to ban riding in certain spots, those spots will expand, year by year. It's the nature of these types of restrictions. Once a waterfront property owner has a no riding or no wake zone in front of their dock, their neighbors will want one as well. Before you know it, all the coves, i.e., all the best spots, will be off limits.

I have done several posts/threads on the issue of ballast bans and wake restrictions, arguing that giant-sized wakes will eventually kill the sport because they are viewed as a nuisance to every non-riding boater and landowner on the waterway, but for the most part people just say "The bigger the better man!" and tell me to pound sand. If riders don't start to have a realistic view of their impact on other boaters and property owners, the future of our sport is bleak.

Does anyone know if an organization exists to combat restrictions like those proposed on Lake Norman? An entity funded by boat manufacturers that could come to a meeting like this with real data would be a terrific resource.
Old     (LNMCExecDir)      Join Date: Oct 2014       10-10-2014, 8:48 AM Reply   
Good morning,

I am the Executive Director of the Lake Norman Marine Commission (LNMC), and would like to take the opportunity to dispel the misinformation circulating here and on other social media. The allegations and assumptions about the LNMC considering restricting certain boating activities on the lake for erosion or any other issue is NOT correct.

The LNMC has worked diligently to improve communications with ALL interested parties on matters pertaining to Lake Norman and the LNMC is disappointed that it was not contacted for comment prior to the release of this misinformation on social media and on this & other web sites and forums.

The LNMC is steadfast in its’ commitment to ensure that the rights of ALL boaters on the waters of Lake Norman are protected. With that said, the LNMC is just as steadfast in its’ position that ALL boaters adhere, respect and obey the laws and regulations regarding safe boating operations. Among these laws and regulations is the state mandated No Wake law for Lake Norman:

§ 75A 14.1. Lake Norman No Wake Zone.
It is unlawful to operate a vessel at greater than no wake speed within 50 yards of a vessel launching area, bridge, dock, pier, marina, vessel storage structure, or vessel service area on the waters of Lake Norman. (1997 129, s. 4; 1997 257, s. 10; 1998 217, s. 49; 2006 185, s. 1.)

There exists a LNMC ordinance pertaining to No Wake buoys, an application and process for obtaining No Wake buoys, and a specification sheet for No Wake buoys, all of which can be found on our web site, www.lnmc.org . No Wake buoys that are approved by the LNMC are an affirmation of, a delineation of, and serves to provide a visual cue of the No Wake zone that already exists as defined in the State statute above . . . the buoys do not create new No Wake areas.

As mentioned by other posts, Lake Norman has a number of wake boarders and wake surfers that are inconsiderate of the safety of others boaters & swimmers, property, and laws & ordinances regarding safe boating operation by operating in coves that are too narrow to do so and too close to other boaters and structures. Unfortunately, a few bad apples are giving the conscientious members of your sport a bad reputation and black eye.

The LNMC encourages and welcomes attendance and participation of the public at our meetings, and looks forward to hearing comments and concerns regarding Lake Norman. It is unfortunate however the basis for the call to action heard here and on other social media sites was not confirmed prior to being distributed, and is based on false information. It is hoped that as much effort being put forth by the wake boarding/surfing community with this call to action is reciprocated with the same efforts toward self policing to insure that the safety, respect and common courtesy toward all users of Lake Norman is first and foremost in everyone's thought process.

Thank you and safe boating,
Ron Shoultz
Old     (burban89)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-10-2014, 9:02 AM Reply   
Nice! I am all for safe boating and that is a great post. I am sure it is like that on every lake with a few bad apples spoiling the fun for all. That can be fishermen, tubers, surfers, wakeboarders, who ever. Respect the lakes and the law and we can wakeboard and surf forever.

Thank YOU!