Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wjanikies3)      Join Date: Aug 2014       08-24-2014, 8:41 PM Reply   
I was wondering what speed i should be boarding at. I usually wakboard at 26.6mph but don't know if its to slow or to fast for my skill level. I ride a malibu wakesetter 2008 with a collapsible tower. I am a decent boarder that knows some tricks and gets about 4 or 5 feet of air on average. Also what speed i should use when learning a new trick.
Old     (Orange)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-24-2014, 10:18 PM Reply   
First, you should find a gps and check that the 26.6 you think you're riding is accurate. Paddle wheel speedos can be off by many mph so its possible you think you are going 26.6 but are not. Second, you would need to give more detail about your skill level... what do you mean by "some tricks"? Are you going full wake to wake?

I can say that 26.6 is freaking fast... way faster than anyone I've ever ridden with. I've had some really good riders on my boat and the fastest speed anyone has ever asked for (and they were training for a competion) was 24.5. Most of the really good riders on my boat (and by that I mean they can consistently land multiple flavors of inverts and spins) ask for between 21-23.5 mph. The more "recreational" riders (confident wake to wake jumpers, maybe can add a couple simple grabs or 180s) usually are in the 21-22 mph range.

I'm a proponent of the lowest speed you can get away with. High speed crashes hurt and can be dangerous. If anyone on my boat asked me to pull them 26, I'd refuse unless I knew they were REALLY freaking good.

As for the other part of your question, a lot of riders on my boat will drop 1 or even 2 mph off their normal speed if they are working on some new trick or skill and they have a strong feeling they will bite the dust. I've even had a few drop 3-4 mph to do skill drills. They usually go back to their normal speed as soon as their confidence is up to get the timing and feel down.

Good luck.
Old     (JArthurSquid)      Join Date: Jul 2013       09-04-2014, 6:23 PM Reply   
If you have an iPhone, I recommend the Ride My Wake! app for locking in your speed.
Old     (kevSML)      Join Date: Jun 2014       09-05-2014, 5:51 AM Reply   
I say do whatever is comfortable. If you like 26, then why change that? If you went just a little faster, you'd be the next Vandall. I personally do 24 most of the time, and bring it down to 21 if I'm trying new tricks. Can't take falls like I used to
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-05-2014, 7:39 AM Reply   
In my opinion 26 is way to fast. Especially if you want to learn new stuff. But most speedos are WAY off. 26 could be 23 for all you know.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-09-2014, 12:28 PM Reply   
it really depends son you and what you are compatible with like been mentioned as well as the type of PPass you have and most important IMO how myuch weight is in the boat.. we always have to ride faster the more slammed a boat is , that does sound fast..

On the most slammed VLX ive ever ridden I ride about 23.5-24.5

stock plus wedge and a little added weight 22-23
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       10-09-2014, 12:46 PM Reply   
On a VLX I would ride 22-22.5 @ 70feet rope length. As others stated, check with GPS. I use the Sea Tow app which was dead on the speedo of my car.