Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (J_Swelly)      Join Date: Aug 2014       10-22-2014, 9:27 PM Reply   
Anybody have any recommendations for Slingshot boat boards? I've been looking into the Recoil, the Hooke, and the Lyman. Anyone have any experience on the 3? I'm wanting more vertical pop off the wake so I'm kinda looking specifically at 3-stage boards. There isn't anywhere around here to demo SS behind the boat, so does anyone have any experience? Any other 3-stage board recommendations?
Old     (J_Swelly)      Join Date: Aug 2014       10-22-2014, 9:50 PM Reply   
After doing a little research, are the 2013 Hooke and the 2014 Lyman the same board? I know they discontinued the Hooke, but did they just put a new name on it? They at least look to be the same shape
Old     (kevSML)      Join Date: Jun 2014       10-23-2014, 12:32 PM Reply   
I only have experience riding the Recoil. Great board...I did an earlier post on it. If you do a search for slingshot recoil, in sure you'll find it. After just looking at some pictures, I think the big difference is the rocker degree, bottom channels, width of board. I believe Recoil has the largest width and rocker of the three. Also, the Recoil has basically zero bottom features, which makes you rely on your edges more. The Hooke and Lyman have some features on the bottom. Probably helps on air tricks or edging at the cable.

Just depends what you need. If it's for boat, I would lean towards Recoil
Old     (kevSML)      Join Date: Jun 2014       10-23-2014, 12:35 PM Reply   
Also. It looks like the Recoil will have the medium flex. Lyman with a stiff flex. And the Hooke is somewhere between the two.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       10-23-2014, 12:50 PM Reply   
I have a 14 Lyman and a 13 Recoil. They both have 3 stage rockers. You nailed it though, the Recoil is softer and the Lyman is stiffer. The recoil also comes in a larger size (146), which has considerable surface area compared to the Lyman.

I like them both, but I think I am leaning toward riding the recoil for boat AND cable, even though I intended to buy the recoil for cable park duty.
Old     (J_Swelly)      Join Date: Aug 2014       10-26-2014, 8:52 PM Reply   
I have a Windsor for the cable so I'm really only concerned with how they do behind the boat. I've always heard good things about the Recoil, but I'm afraid it's just a little to flexy for behind the boat. I'm leaning towards a Hooke if I can find one or the Lyman
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       10-27-2014, 6:24 AM Reply   
I prefer the Recoil to the Lyman, take it for what it's worth. I'm not a great wakeboarder, and I've been riding flex boards ever since I started wakeboarding seriously (3 years ago), so maybe I'm not the best person to ask. But the 146 size rides nice and fast in the water, it pops hard and lands soft.

Frankly, I'd entertain an offer on selling my 142 Lyman (2014)
Old     (J_Swelly)      Join Date: Aug 2014       10-27-2014, 11:17 AM Reply   
Tom, what don't you like about the Lyman? How does it ride in comparison to the Recoil?
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       10-27-2014, 11:59 AM Reply   
I don't dislike anything particular about the Lyman, I think it's a great board. I've been talking it up the entire summer to everyone who's asked me about it. I just happen to like the Recoil a little bit better. I tend to think that I like the Recoil better due to its size (146 vs 142). It seems to pop really well and land very soft.

Both boards have a 3 stage rocker. The Lyman has some minor bottom features, where the Recoil is featureless. The Lyman is a bit stiffer, Recoil a bit softer.

If you're looking for more information on the Lyman, I would recommend considering 2013 Hooke reviews to be equal as well. The Lyman is basically just a 2013 Hooke.
Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-27-2014, 6:10 PM Reply   
I've ridden the Recoil, Hooke/Lyman, and Shredtown behind the boat. I like the Recoil the best, personally. The Hooke/Lyman is a bit faster with the bottom features but also stiffer.
Old     (J_Swelly)      Join Date: Aug 2014       10-27-2014, 9:46 PM Reply   
Thanks for the feedback guys. I have a friend that has a recoil and he's going to let me try it out this week.