Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (rolltidehack)      Join Date: Jul 2014       08-10-2014, 6:24 PM Reply   
Hey yall, so it's been almost a week now and I'm still pumping out oil that's mixed in the water (currently have water coming in from shaft seal). I think I have traced it to the drain plug on the oil pan.

My question, is the fixable or am I going to have to lift the motor? I can get my hands on it but of course no eyes on it. Ideas welcomed.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       08-10-2014, 7:32 PM Reply   
You can sometimes use a mirror and a shop light to see.
Old     (Bagar55)      Join Date: Aug 2013 Location: Mineral, Va       08-11-2014, 8:09 PM Reply   
Simple green or dawn dish soap will help break down the oil. Scrub and hose out the bildge and use a shop vac to get all the water you can find out. Reach under and feel around the bottom of your oil pan. You could easily have a hole developing from rust. You will be able to feel it if you do. Do you have quick drain oil hose coming off you drain plug. This could be the culprit also. The fitting could have rusted or the hose could have a small hole from rubbing against something. At the end of last season my oil pan rusted through and dropped all oil into bildge. What a mess and pain in the butt to clean up. I tried to use my phone and reach under and take pictures. Tried a mirror and a bunch of other things. The best way to really see under the motor is with a pipe camera or small inspection camera. Pipe cameras can be rented from most equipment rental companies or even some plumbing supply places. Google it if not sure what they are. You can fish the camera around and see anything you need to under the motor. If the pan is rusted through you will most likely have to pull the motor. Not sure what type of boat you have but almost any inboard wake boat you will at least have to raise the motor to replace the pan. I pulled mine and spent all winter cleaning, painting, and replacing all kinds of parts on motor and in bildge. It was a project and a lot of work but the motor and bildge look brand new and the boat runs awesome.
Attached Images

Old     (Bagar55)      Join Date: Aug 2013 Location: Mineral, Va       08-11-2014, 8:11 PM Reply   
You can probably pick out the hole from the pipe camera monitor pic.
Attached Images

Old     (rolltidehack)      Join Date: Jul 2014       08-13-2014, 8:00 AM Reply   
Thanks for the tips. Yea I have a quick drain oil house. I think it's the culprit as the pan bolts on the motor are all dry. I'll try to find a rental if I can. Again thanks
Old     (rolltidehack)      Join Date: Jul 2014       08-13-2014, 8:44 AM Reply   
Hey question for y'all. I researched and found that I could try getting a quick seal glue and kind of just rub it all over down there(kinky) and might give it a temporary fix till season over and I can lift up motor to fix properly. Thoughts?
Old     (jordanh)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-13-2014, 9:45 AM Reply   
Did you find the leak? If you didn't the glue is pretty pointless. Find the leak, assess the situation, then decide if the glue is the way to go to get by
Old     (rolltidehack)      Join Date: Jul 2014       08-13-2014, 10:32 AM Reply   
Not pin pointed yet, hopefully tonight with the camera.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       08-13-2014, 10:40 AM Reply   
You're not gonna be able to glue a hose in the pan or leaky drain plug. Nothing will stick to an oil surface and you ahve no access to fully drain/clean/ wire wheel the surface to even attempt it as a band aid. Check your front and rear main seal area as well as all around the pan to block gasket. Oil leaks from a little higher up may not be obvious but will find their way to the pan. Check valve covers and front and rear of intake too. Would be lucky if it's one of those.

I've been putting off fixing what I suspect is a rear main seal leak for a couple years. Not profuse but it'll dirty the bilge and discharge water can be a bit oily. I just scrub the bilge now and again and put a squirt of dawn in there from time to time so it sloshed around with whatever water gets in. Good enough for now given it's such a small leak, but hopefully this winter...
Old     (rolltidehack)      Join Date: Jul 2014       08-13-2014, 10:53 AM Reply   
Yea, I'm still gonna see what's going on around the while motor. I have given it a few looks over but one more won't hurt. If I do find it to be in the hose, I'll dry it up the best I can and get some seal on it. Might not work but never know till I try; if that's even the problem. It's such a small amount that I might be going the route you are in and drop some soap in from time to time just to clean gunk
Old     (rolltidehack)      Join Date: Jul 2014       08-13-2014, 4:19 PM Reply   
Got home and can't do much of anything as boat still has small leak( think drive shaft leaking) do it's all wet and oily(kinky, giggity) so I did the next best thing and tried the adding some dish soap and scribes it down and pumped it out. Guess I'm stuck with issue till I pull boat out of water for the season
Old     (rolltidehack)      Join Date: Jul 2014       08-16-2014, 8:37 PM Reply   
Anyone could help on what part this it's and the name. I think I found it to be leaking.Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1408246635391.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  40.7 KB
Old     (rolltidehack)      Join Date: Jul 2014       08-16-2014, 8:40 PM Reply   
I think it's a oil pressure switch but not sure
Old     (zimme)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-17-2014, 8:47 AM Reply   
Definitely looks like an oil pressure sensor/sending unit.
Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       08-17-2014, 9:04 AM Reply   
oil pressure sensor unit on V drive case. connected to red signal lamp.