Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-24-2016, 8:58 AM Reply   
Is Anyone watching HBO's new series Westworld?
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-24-2016, 9:55 AM Reply   
Haven't watched it yet. Did you ever see the original movie?
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-24-2016, 10:04 AM Reply   
I have seen a couple of them. Hope it gets better. Never saw the movie.
Old     (doublemwa)      Join Date: May 2016       10-24-2016, 10:06 AM Reply   
I'm watching and liking it! Didn't know there was a movie but i'll be looking for it to download ASAP
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       10-24-2016, 10:17 AM Reply   
Watching and enjoying it. The original movie is from 1973 and I doubt that it will hold up to the test of time. You'd probably be better served by reading the book that it was based on.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-24-2016, 10:50 AM Reply   
Never saw the Orignal movie,

JJ Adams produces Westworld. For thoes of you who don't recognize the name, google him he has quite a large body of work. The latest Star Wars included.

Great glad others are watching. I hope it gets to the point where they have a Short "after segment" where the producers and writers discuss what's going on in the episode. Game of Thrones used to have it and it was quite helpful to fully understand what you just saw and helps you pick up on the nuances you may have overlooked.

Question; How do other "Guest's" recognize other "Guest's". How do people end up not blasting each other?
Old     (allzway)      Join Date: Feb 2014       10-24-2016, 12:13 PM Reply   
The original movie was awesome. I am liking this series too.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       10-24-2016, 12:30 PM Reply   
My assumption is that there aren't actual bullets but rather some kind of airgun-type thing so it's enough to sting the guests as we've seen but for hosts it triggers some kind of built-in squib-type reaction and their bodies react accordingly.

Have you read the William-is-the-man-in-black theory?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-24-2016, 2:24 PM Reply   
Wes: are you talking about the character Ed Harris plays the guy all in black who is a Guest?
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       10-24-2016, 2:27 PM Reply   
Yep that's the man in black. Is he William (the sappy white-hat-choosing guy) many years later?
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-25-2016, 6:20 PM Reply   
Just watched the first episode. Ed Harris (Black Hat guy) seems like he's playing Yul Brynner's character who was an android.

Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       10-25-2016, 6:40 PM Reply   
I originally thought he would end up being a special host that can't be killed by other hosts but there seem to have been too many inconsistencies with that theory the last few episodes...
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-26-2016, 8:40 AM Reply   
I've only watched one episode so it's confusing. I wasn't sure if he was "unkillable" because it was that girl's dream or if something else was going on. Like the guy who likes her came in on the train that I thought was for guests, but then appears to be an android.

Also digging the new Lethal Weapon show.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-26-2016, 8:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by pesos View Post
...but there seem to have been too many inconsistencies with that theory the last few episodes...
Hope they don't pull a "Lost" on us where every theory falls apart and they were just thinking it up as they go along.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-26-2016, 9:21 AM Reply   
Ed's character seems to have to much free will and at large properties to be a "Host" at one point he say's he has "been coming here for 30 years" OR he says 'He has been here 30 Times" cant remember which one. But you guys could be on to something? Sundays new episode looks like things heat up a bit.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-26-2016, 9:41 AM Reply   
I decided to search the net about the theories. What I found surprising is that no one is referring to the original movie. It's been a long time since I saw it. But the MiB (before Men In Black was a thing) was the central character and a host. It certainly seems like the creators of the new show tried to draw a parallel for some reason. But it also seems like the people who are watching the series now aren't even aware of the original movie. So the question is... are they drawing a parallel to throw us off thinking we'd draw conclusions from the movie, or are they drawing a parallel to because the MiB will be a host like in original movie?

Since 30 years ago was when they had their last catastrophic failure, maybe somehow the MiB has managed to evolve from that point and keep it under raps.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       10-26-2016, 10:49 AM Reply   
In ep4 another guest approaches him in awe and tells him his foundation saved his sister's life. MiB tells him to F off, he's ruining his vacation. Pretty sure he's a guest unless why're just spinning all this out for misdirection - but it seems unlikely. I'm not too concerned with the original movie because I think the source material is little more than a basic framework for this show.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       10-26-2016, 10:52 AM Reply   
I'm just chiming in here to say that I'm digging it. Daylight is short and that means trainer/roller season has begun on the bike. Westworld has proven to be a worthy distraction from the drudgery of grinding it out in the garage.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-26-2016, 11:55 AM Reply   
^ nothing sucks more than working out inside!
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-26-2016, 12:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by pesos View Post
In ep4 another guest approaches him in awe and tells him his foundation saved his sister's life. MiB tells him to F off, he's ruining his vacation. Pretty sure he's a guest unless why're just spinning all this out for misdirection - but it seems unlikely. I'm not too concerned with the original movie because I think the source material is little more than a basic framework for this show.
Yeah, maybe MiB's look is just a nod to the movie and nothing more.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-26-2016, 12:35 PM Reply   
Or maybe he figured out how to get to the real world.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       11-02-2016, 1:20 AM Reply   
Just got caught up - great episode.

Never get sick of Thandie Newton running around naked. Never, ever.
Old     (doublemwa)      Join Date: May 2016       11-04-2016, 8:52 AM Reply   
Here is a great theory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLli7Gc1ZBU

The basic concept is that the two story lines, William and Logan, and the Man in black are actually taking place 30 years apart but being shown as if they are in the same period in time. The shocker is at the end!
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       11-04-2016, 9:02 AM Reply   
That's what I said lol
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-04-2016, 9:42 AM Reply   
There's one thing that bugs me about the two time line theory. IIRC it was William and his buddy that were talking about the real world and Delores catches on. I'm thinking that the present is when the robots are starting to gain awareness of the "park". But this would have been 30 years ago.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       11-04-2016, 10:03 AM Reply   
That's what I thought to until the most recent episode and you can start to see how things may have been "pushed under" at some point and are now being recollected by the hosts - or new hosts are being brought into the fold etc
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-04-2016, 10:06 AM Reply   
Didn't they say that there was a issue with the androids 30 years ago? Maybe it was the self awareness thing back then too. I watched the original again the other night. Nothing really like the show except the basic premise.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       11-04-2016, 10:15 AM Reply   
That's what I mean... some kind of event/insurrection with Dolores/William/Arnold/etc that was put down and then digitally scrubbed (or so they thought) from the hosts or something (but the man in black would remember, and anything Hopkins of course)
Old     (allzway)      Join Date: Feb 2014       11-04-2016, 10:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135 View Post
Didn't they say that there was a issue with the androids 30 years ago? Maybe it was the self awareness thing back then too. I watched the original again the other night. Nothing really like the show except the basic premise.
That is what it seems to me. Nothing to really do with the original, unless some story line that is developing gets tied to the original.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-07-2016, 7:00 AM Reply   
Last nights episode was a good one and I caught the YouTube video that outlined the double storylines just in time. This weeks episode plays right into that Theroy of the Old or Orignal Westworld logo pops up when Bernard go's" downstairs" to acess a old computer.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       11-13-2016, 11:16 PM Reply   
I had written off the theory about B, instead thinking he was intended to show how robotic humans can sometimes be... but they were right!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-16-2016, 3:42 PM Reply   
Bernard was a Android!!!! WtH
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       11-16-2016, 9:24 PM Reply   
The question is, how long ago was he stepfordized?? And who else has been...
Old     (doublemwa)      Join Date: May 2016       11-17-2016, 6:17 AM Reply   
That is what I was thinking,

Whoelse is an Andriod
What did Ford mean by "the board test me from time to time" and could that point to Arnold disappearing
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-17-2016, 7:41 AM Reply   
I'm really enjoying this show.
Hopkins is such a great actor. I love the roles that he plays
Old     (chillinoj)      Join Date: May 2009       11-21-2016, 9:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
Bernard was a Android!!!! WtH
I was behind a few weeks, so hooked on the show after that twist.

It definitely seems like there could be two different timelines going on, but I hope that's not the case and there's an even better twist we don't see coming yet. But since (hopkins) can build his own androids really makes you wonder who is real and who isn't!
Old    deltahoosier            11-29-2016, 1:40 PM Reply   
You guys got me hooked...... Watched the series over the holiday. One more show. Not sure how they tie all this together. Kill off the famous actors and allow the series to continue with the "new story line"?
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-30-2016, 8:01 AM Reply   
Did the last episode show Bernard when he was first created (about 50 min in)? Because Robert didn't look much younger than his current self.
Old    deltahoosier            11-30-2016, 9:37 AM Reply   
Not sure. I thought they showed Bernard and Robert in the picture to show that Bernard was actually Arnold. Then let on that they did this more than once with Robert hoping each time that he would not command the woman to kill him. Finally he has grown tired of it and has him off himself.

Thing that gets me I guess is the dual timeline going on. The town with the church is buried in one part then it is not in the next. Is he saying he did this so history will stop repeating? They can not get down to the lower level to ultimately have the Bernard/ Arnold ending conversation with the church buried.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-30-2016, 10:00 AM Reply   
Yeah, I think they were pretty much establishing that Bernard is a android copy of Arnold. I don't mind them having dual timelines as long as they are consistent. But I'm thinking that they aren't consistent. Like when Logan stabbed Delores and she ran off, then woke up with no stab wound. I was thinking the "Park" picked her up, fixed her, then dropped her back off. But when it switches back to Logan and William it's obvious that not enough time passed for that to occur.
Old    deltahoosier            11-30-2016, 1:03 PM Reply   
I thing that is the loop they are in. She keeps making back to the town church. Heads to the lower level to talk to Arnold. I think sometimes she makes it and sometimes she does not make depending on the human interaction. At the end of one of the scenes she realized Arnold was not their because she killed him. Can't wait. Last episode is Dec 2?

Good news. Vikings is back on. I think starts again tonight?
Old     (chillinoj)      Join Date: May 2009       12-07-2016, 7:29 AM Reply   
Well you guys definitely called the dual timeline thing. But even seeing that coming I didn't see the rest of the twist with ford & all. What a great finale, tied up 95% of my questions but all the while getting me super excited to see where the go with the story next season. That might have been one of the best seasons of TV I have ever seen. Thoughts? or predictions out there?

Last edited by chillinoj; 12-07-2016 at 7:30 AM. Reason: Can't spell
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       12-09-2016, 12:27 PM Reply   
So is Ford dead or was that a Ford clone? Still want to know who cut the mole off William's face.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       12-09-2016, 12:32 PM Reply   
Ford is dead. You think they want to pay Anthony Hopkins for another season? Plus at his age he's probably got other things he'd like to do - filming for this series is brutal I heard.

I was totally wondering about the mole too lol
Old     (Airtime9)      Join Date: Dec 2016       12-29-2016, 7:32 AM Reply   
Who called that the man in black was William? I had read a fan theory but never thought it made sense
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       12-29-2016, 7:38 AM Reply   
It was pretty much all over the internet.