Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       10-06-2016, 2:05 PM Reply   
Well It's nearing that time that I have to start putting on a wet suit. I bought a great Xcel Revolt 4/3 web suit that I used all of last year and it worked fine. At some points of the year though I would get a little chilly in the water and I would get cold upon coming back in the boat.

Now I'm considering a dry suit. Supposedly I hear you don't get cold at all since you can dress warm, and afterward your not wet. Sounds great!

Few questions:

1. I would need one for myself (6ft 180lb) and my Wife (5'2" 105lb). I am guessing I would need 2 different ones correct?

2. How do the seals work? I understand they are probably good enough to keep water out from just exposure to water. but what happens when you fall? I am ALWAYS trying to stuff when I'm out so I am most definitely falling. I understand if a few drops get in, no big deal. But if pounds of water are forced in, it kinda makes the suit pointless!

3. Anyone have any recommendations? I'm looking to get something that's high quality and will last, so budget isn't an issue, within reason. I've found recommendations from a thread from like 6 years ago, but I'm guessing (hoping) technology has improved since then....

Thanks!
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-06-2016, 2:59 PM Reply   
A drysuit will not keep you 100% dry if you are taking some crashes. You'll get some water up the arms or legs sometimes. I've taken some down the back of the neck doing a bit of a forward tumble. I ended up getting my rubber neck seal replaced with a neoprene one after ripping my rubber one twice. With dry suits if you are planning on using them quite a bit I would stay away from sharing. They are a bit delicate with the rubber seals. To me, the less you are taking it on/off the better. The issue I would potentially see with sharing would be the difference in neck, wrist, and ankle size. Your wife may not get as good of a seal being smaller.....again, potentially.

The benefit is you can dress warmer. You don't want to dress too warm otherwise you will be sweating your bag off inside the suit. I usually only wear a long sleeve T-shirt and a pair of jogging pants. I'd rather be a bit chilly in the water then cooking hot.

I have an OS Systems Suit. I know a lot of people like some of the O'neil suits as well. http://ossystems.com/surface/breeze/ Mines at least 6 years old if not older so I see they have made some changes since. If you rip a seal you can always send it back in for replacement.
Old     (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       10-06-2016, 3:16 PM Reply   
I will look at OS system suits.

What do you guys think of the following suit: https://www.amazon.com/ONeill-Wetsui.../dp/B001MTEPGS

About near the top end of what I am willing to pay, but still ok and I know O'neil makes quality stuff.

As far as sharing it goes. I have a friend that comes riding all the time with us. He's similar in size than me just skinnier. Will sharing the suit with him wear it out fast, or since the seals are neoprene its not a big deal?
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-06-2016, 4:10 PM Reply   
I've shared my suit as well. I personally just get nervous every time someone else puts it on. If you put it on wrong or have sharp nails you can put your finger right through the seal at which point you are done for the day. You should spray the seals after using it every time so the rubber doesn't get brittle or dry out. If you are both doing multiple sets it's just easier if you don't have to pull it off every time.
Old     (Andy_Mora)      Join Date: Oct 2012       10-06-2016, 4:51 PM Reply   
I think a thicker wet suit would be more suitable for wakeboarding. I ride with a 6/5mm Xcel wetsuit. People around here (Toronto area) use them to go surfing and riding right through winter so it is definitely warm enough. I think it's more durable then a dry suit and is better for crashes.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       10-06-2016, 5:43 PM Reply   
Drysuit is much easier and quicker on and off. Highly recommend. And you don't have to wear a life jacket.
Old     (on_wi)      Join Date: Feb 2013       10-06-2016, 6:09 PM Reply   
Drysuits are expensive. I bought a wetsuit, like you, and then bought my drysuit when I knew I'd want to really push the length of my season. I am willing to let my similar sized buddy borrow my wetsuit. But since the Boost suit was so expensive I am the only one to wear my drysuit.

I still wear a life jacket beneath my drysuit on top of the suspenders. I went once without the jacket and it was just a really odd feeling to me. I also burp as much of the air as possible so I don't have that to help out.

Also, where are you? In the pop thread didn't you say Phoenix. Do you guys really need a drysuit in Phoenix? How cold does the water get?

Last edited by on_wi; 10-06-2016 at 6:15 PM.
Old     (janzy)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-06-2016, 8:14 PM Reply   
I have a Bare Ultradry, and while it keeps me nice and warm, if I'm trying new stuff it'll always let a few drops in at the wrist seals. I never notice it until after I remove the suit tough. My first drysuit felt more like a wetsuit. Don't remember what model it was, but it was more like the O'neill Assault's bottom (not baggy). While the baggy suit is suited to more conditions (you can dress more or less underneath), the tighter suit felt more comfortable while riding.

I'll echo what others said before: you can share your drysuit, but it's not something I would do personnally. Putting the suit on and off is kind of a pain, and watching anyone else struggling with the seals would make me worry he's gonna damage them.
Old     (Summer225)      Join Date: Apr 2016       10-07-2016, 3:05 AM Reply   
I've been thinking about getting one for the winter months, I've never owned a dry/wet suit. Are they made specifically for women or are they all unisex? Our water temp I'm told will get into the low 60's anyone have any recommendations on a type and thickness so suit?
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       10-07-2016, 6:33 AM Reply   
for low 60s, I would go with a nice, high-end 3/2 wetsuit. low 60s really isn't that cold. The wetsuit will feel more natural than the drysuit and the newer ones do a REALLY good job.
Old     (YYCBoarder)      Join Date: Apr 2013       10-07-2016, 7:19 AM Reply   
I don't think there's much difference when you're riding using a dry vs. wetsuit but the biggest benefit is that you're not cold when you get out. I don't think twice about a second or third set with a drysuit but it's tough to get motivation when you're trying to warm up.

I also have a Bare Ultra and I never get more than a couple drops in it taking falls.
Old     (on_wi)      Join Date: Feb 2013       10-07-2016, 7:21 AM Reply   
Tom has it right. Low 60s is not cold enough to want more than a 3/2. That will keep you flexible and warm enough.
Wakemakers has a table https://www.wakemakers.com/resources...erature-chart/. I think its a bit conservative.
For reference, we are riding in low 60s here in SE Wisconsin currently. The drysuit is still put away and we are using 3/2 (purchased on sale for ~125 so not super high end) and are plenty comfortable.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       10-07-2016, 7:39 AM Reply   
I don't even wear a wet suit any more, straight from a heater top to the Dry Suit. It just so much more comfortable, they are bit awkward when you are floating in the water, but when your riding it's like having comfy snowboard outwear on. The main benefit I see over a wetsuit is when you are out and want to take multiple sets. In a wetsuit you have two choices, sit in a soaking wet wetsuit between sets or take it off, then put the wet and cold wet suit back on for your next run. In a drysuit, you can just unzip and tie the arms around your waist while your waiting for your next run. Like others have mentioned you do get wet from time to time, for me it usually up an arm on a crash as I usually stick my arms out when I fall in some kind of in born attempt to stop the impact. Small price to pay for being comfortable in the boat between sets. I usually bring an extra long sleeve tee with me so if I get one wet I can just swap out tees between sets.

I have a Adrenaline drysuit, hands down the best value out there for a Drysuit. I have really great luck with their customer service as well real fast turn around if you blow out a seal.

http://www.adrenalinewatersports.com...tID=8&SubID=17
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       10-07-2016, 7:58 AM Reply   
The drysuit initial expense and ongoing maintenance is the killer for me. I paid around $150 for Xcel Comp 3/2 wetsuit. Drysuit would be 3x the cost and then you have to maintain the seals. In some cases, send it out yearly for replacement.
Old     (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       10-07-2016, 9:07 AM Reply   
Thank you for all the suggestions guys!

Yes I live in Phoenix. Yes, the coldest it gets is generally 40 air, 50-55 water. Yes my 4/3 Xcel does an EXCELLENT job at making it possible to board during these temperatures.

However I am not a fan of the initial few minute cold shock (even though we started using the hot shower to fill up the wetsuit first and that helped). I am also not a fan of being soaking wet for a while after. None of it is a big deal and I would most definitely continue to use it if there was no other choice. But we are always looking for better, aren't we!
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       10-07-2016, 9:10 AM Reply   
50-55 range definitely starts to make more sense to go drysuit!
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-07-2016, 9:27 AM Reply   
The only other thing I would say and it really depends how often you get out when the water is still that cold. A dry suit definitely allows me to get on the water earlier in the season. That being said I usually only wear my dry suit 2-3 times before I can switch to a shorty wet suit. If it's still quite cold I will wear my heather top and my shorty. The combination of the two is a lot of insulation for the torso. To the point that sometimes I'm still dry in spots.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       10-07-2016, 9:44 AM Reply   
Anybody want to buy mine?

http://www.themalibucrew.com/index.p...t-size-l-r325/

I've always though the seals were a little loose because I always get just a little wet in it (a cup or two of water) but from the sound of folks here maybe it's just not going to be as dry as I expected it would be. Anyhow, I've determined that I'm a fair weather guy, so the dry suit isn't getting used.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-07-2016, 11:17 AM Reply   
Drysuit all the way. Of the 30-40 days I ride per year, at least half are in a drysuit (very cold here in the mornings and evenings when I ride, even in summer). I love it. If you can wait, wakemakers does a Black Friday sale and everything, including the Boost drysuit, is like 20% off. Pretty significant on a $450 suit.

I've never had a drysuit that is totally dry. Over time, water will start leaking through the seams. You also take a little water in here and then in the neck on falls. Probably get 5-6 years of fairly heavy use until I need a new one. Wear my wicking thermals underneath and the little bit of water doesn't affect your ride much at all. Highly recommend.
Old     (Summer225)      Join Date: Apr 2016       10-07-2016, 6:29 PM Reply   
Thanks for the suggestions Tom and W.S. .......I'm gonna start looking for a 3/2 wetsuit for some winter riding. Good info, thanks.
Old     (badluck)      Join Date: Jan 2009       10-07-2016, 9:28 PM Reply   
You can't pee in a drysuit!
Old     (Summer225)      Join Date: Apr 2016       10-08-2016, 5:47 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by badluck View Post
You can't pee in a drysuit!
Lmao, gross that's one thing, I don't think I could ever let someone borrow my wet suit....it's like sharing underwear right? gross!
Old     (on_wi)      Join Date: Feb 2013       10-10-2016, 7:41 AM Reply   
I don't pee in any suit. I let others use my old wetsuit, but we always wear underwear and/or shorts.
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       10-10-2016, 10:04 AM Reply   
I love my baggy style drysuit from BFI (Barefoot International)... check them out... plus being baggy you can layer underneath accordingly.
Old     (ttduncan)      Join Date: Jan 2008       10-12-2016, 1:49 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
Anybody want to buy mine?

http://www.themalibucrew.com/index.p...t-size-l-r325/

I've always though the seals were a little loose because I always get just a little wet in it (a cup or two of water) but from the sound of folks here maybe it's just not going to be as dry as I expected it would be. Anyhow, I've determined that I'm a fair weather guy, so the dry suit isn't getting used.
ya, sent PM
thanks
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       10-14-2016, 9:09 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brhanley View Post
Drysuit all the way. Of the 30-40 days I ride per year, at least half are in a drysuit (very cold here in the mornings and evenings when I ride, even in summer). I love it. If you can wait, wakemakers does a Black Friday sale and everything, including the Boost drysuit, is like 20% off. Pretty significant on a $450 suit.

I've never had a drysuit that is totally dry. Over time, water will start leaking through the seams. You also take a little water in here and then in the neck on falls. Probably get 5-6 years of fairly heavy use until I need a new one. Wear my wicking thermals underneath and the little bit of water doesn't affect your ride much at all. Highly recommend.
Agreed. I bought my Oneill Boost Drysuit from wakemakers on black Friday at 20% off, and the wife bought hers from them the following year at 20% off.

I am 5'10 and 165 and she's 5'2 and a size 8. She wears a small and I wear a medium. Yeah, we could share a medium, but it's nicer for her to have her own. She did use my medium once.

The only thing that takes some getting used to is the neck seal. On the oniell it's neoprene and works well, but it feels like the tightest turtleneck you've ever worn.

For me the full 3/2 wetsuit is good until the water gets below 60. We went out on Wed night and the water temp had just dipped to 59. It was so freaking rad to be wearing some active pants and a tshirt and just getting right into the drysuit and being DRY afterwards. Made the transition from my set to my wife's set a lot quicker. After the wife was done (she actually chose to wear her full suit) it took her a lot longer to change into dry clothes.

Because the neck is tight, after my set I had them unzip the back and I took my neck and arms out of the drysuit and just wore it like pants with the internal suspenders while I drove. it was great.

It is a little weird getting used to how the water displaces any air in the drysuit. when my wife first tried it, a bunch of air ended up in the legs and it gave her mega buoyancy on her legs when she was getting up on the surf board. And likewise when I was finished wakeboarding, all the air went to the top of the drysuit as I sunk in the water, so the suit was raisined on my legs and I looked like a marshmellow man on my shoulders and chest.

With the full boot bindings on my wakeboard my feet are plenty warm even in water under 50. however, surfing I need gloves and booties for water that cold. but gloves are cheap (get kayak gloves) and booties aren't too much either--but they really take away from the feel of the surfboard under your feet.

The most I've ever got was a damp collar on my shirt, and sometimes damp ends of sleeves and pants. But I've taken full wakeboard and surf sets forgetting my cell phone in my pocket of my boardshorts and it was bone dry for the core of my body.

Also, if you're worried about the crashes and water getting in the suit, I would think that REALLY doing a good job burping all the air out of the suit would likely help a little. Also Oneill makes the Assault drysuit that is basically a "dry" wetsuit from the waist down and the more baggy drysuit from the waist up. my buddy is a slalom skier and swears by it. not having the bagginess on the legs is a big deal for him. he says he doesn't get wet at all in the legs.

Last edited by trayson; 10-14-2016 at 9:14 AM.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       10-14-2016, 10:28 AM Reply   
shameless plug -- I put mine on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/262668558511...84.m1555.l2649
Old     (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       10-15-2016, 10:49 AM Reply   
All right, it sounds like everyone that is OK with paying the bigger price is pretty dang happy with theirs.

I think I will wait till it gets a little colder and buy the O'Neill Boost suite. From my understanding, my wife should still be able to try mine out but it will just feel really baggy on her, correct? So if it works for her and she likes it we will get her one too.

I'm 6ft 180lb, I am guessing I need a large correct?

Thanks for all the advice guys.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       10-15-2016, 5:06 PM Reply   
Tough call, you might feel like the large is too big...others can weigh in...the medium is pretty big...
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-16-2016, 12:54 PM Reply   
Drysuits? Barefooters know drysuits beat wetsuits hands down. We wear it all. We wreck it all. A drysuit can last years so the cost can be ammortized. We usually keep a cooler with warm water in the boat to warm our hands and feet and ski in 40 degree water...

[tube]JgwEZqa7XuU[/tube]
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       10-17-2016, 3:38 AM Reply   
lol I wear a 3/2 when the water and air are both 50

Get a 5/4 you'll probably be happier and as mentioned you can have some surfers delight.
Old     (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-17-2016, 10:14 AM Reply   
I've tried the O'Neill Assault Hybrid and Boost and MUCH prefer the Assault. It's a lot more comfortable, especially around the neck, and I like the fact that it's not baggy around the legs. If you have a chance to try them both on, do so.

Also, thumbs up for the O'Neill 1.5mm Psycho DL Glove. You know how those wet hands can freeze up in the cold wind.
Old     (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       11-01-2016, 1:29 PM Reply   
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger today on an Assault Boost. Seems like from what people have said I need either a medium or large. Anyone else have input on medium VS large.

I'm 6ft 170lb -190lb (depending on time of year and gym status!)
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       11-01-2016, 1:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelinex View Post
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger today on an Assault Boost. Seems like from what people have said I need either a medium or large. Anyone else have input on medium VS large.

I'm 6ft 170lb -190lb (depending on time of year and gym status!)
5'10 and 165 to 170. I'm plenty comfortable in a medium.

The boost is the full baggy one (that's what I have). The assault is the baggy on top.

Also, since we're in November, remember that Wakemakers typically has 20% off for Black Friday weekend.
Old     (DrewLongshore)      Join Date: Oct 2016       11-01-2016, 1:34 PM Reply   
I've worn an O'Neill Boost drysuit for the last 4 years. I'm 6'3 and weigh 180lbs and the XL is the perfect size. I absolutely love it compared to my wetsuit.
Old     (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       11-01-2016, 1:52 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by trayson View Post
5'10 and 165 to 170. I'm plenty comfortable in a medium.

The boost is the full baggy one (that's what I have). The assault is the baggy on top.

Also, since we're in November, remember that Wakemakers typically has 20% off for Black Friday weekend.
Do you wear a life vest inside of it? I definitely plan on wearing a life vest and its pretty bulky (ronix vest)
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       11-01-2016, 1:58 PM Reply   
Quote:
Do you wear a life vest inside of it? I definitely plan on wearing a life vest and its pretty bulky (ronix vest)
Depends. for Surfing I'll often skip it. The drysuits are so buoyant that lots of people skip for surfing. That said, yeah, I wear a vest for wakeboarding. I've done it both ways. My normal vest is a Ronix One comp vest. I wore it over my drysuit last time and that was a mistake. It really constricted my breathing. Not comfy. I am pretty sure I'd have plenty of room to wear a vest under the drysuit. I've also just went up a size or two and used one of my other vests on the outside.

I guess just try what you like and go with it. But the drysuit should have room for a vest inside, especially if you go for a large vs. a medium.
Old     (on_wi)      Join Date: Feb 2013       11-01-2016, 2:48 PM Reply   
I wear a ncga inside the drysuit under the suspenders. I am just used to riding with a vest on - I don't like the feeling without it. I also push out as much of the air inside my suit that I can though. Others I ride with keep a lot of air in the suit making them float. Its a preference thing.
Old     (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       11-01-2016, 3:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by on_wi View Post
I wear a ncga inside the drysuit under the suspenders. I am just used to riding with a vest on - I don't like the feeling without it. I also push out as much of the air inside my suit that I can though. Others I ride with keep a lot of air in the suit making them float. Its a preference thing.
What size did you buy and whats your height/weight?
Old     (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       11-01-2016, 5:01 PM Reply   
Ordered a Large. I'll let you guys know how it fits.

Thanks
Old     (on_wi)      Join Date: Feb 2013       11-05-2016, 3:40 PM Reply   
Quote:
What size did you buy and whats your height/weight?
Sorry for the delay. I'm 6'1" 185lbs and I wear a large. Love it. Hope your's works out.
Old     (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       11-07-2016, 11:11 AM Reply   
I wore the dry suit this weekend and loved it! SO much easier to put on.

The water was 72 degrees so I probably could have still gotten away with wearing just a slicker top. But it was pretty epic having 3 sets and being completely dry the entire time with no initial cold shock.

I definitely realized that things like a sweater will most definitely be needed though when the water really cools down. You are completely exposed to the coldness of the water, you are just not wet. At the current temperature that coldness was refreshing, but I imagine it will not be at 50 degrees.

Lastly, the fit was perfect. It's big enough for my bulky life jacket underneath but the seals are still very tight. In fact, it even fit my 5.2" 105lb wife! She looked like a sumo wrestler with it on and the seals were't as bulletproof on falls, but it did work, which is amazing for the opportunity of having the occasional guest on the boat. We will be buying her a small this week!
Old     (on_wi)      Join Date: Feb 2013       11-07-2016, 11:55 AM Reply   
I was in 55 degree water on Sunday and sweating. 65 air with 2 layers on beneath the drysuit was to much. Falling into that cold water was refreshing.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-10-2016, 9:18 PM Reply   
You do want to let air out of the drysuit...too much air and you risk blowing a hole in a seal...I've seen it plenty. Be very careful to not let anyone with fingernails try putting it on or taking it off...must put whole finger in to stretch around feet and hands and head. Fingernails go right through seals.

No wetsuit can really even compare to a drysuit.
Old     (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       11-14-2016, 9:52 AM Reply   
Wife and I both wore our drysuits yesterday. It was perfect.

I've had 6 or so runs in mine so far. Yesterday was the first time I got some water in mine, but it was barely any.

So far it's been great, but we will see how it is when it is 50 degree water.

Thank you all for the advice.
Old     (on_wi)      Join Date: Feb 2013       11-15-2016, 7:18 AM Reply   
When the water gets cold just throw another layer on. I ride in sweat pants and a long sleeve shirt. When the temps drop down to the 50's I add a thermal base layer on top and bottom. Ride hard and then when you fall you feel good to let some of the body heat be pulled away by the cold water.