Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-09-2016, 8:19 PM Reply   
Props to @russell.wake for being the 4th person to ever land a Moby Dick 7!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BI6QQtKh...y=russell.wake
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       08-10-2016, 12:24 AM Reply   
kids an animal right now! I've been bugging him to try a pete 7
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-10-2016, 3:43 AM Reply   
Correction: Apparently he's number 6
my b
Old     (Spotless)      Join Date: May 2016       08-10-2016, 5:02 AM Reply   
Outstanding!
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       08-10-2016, 7:12 AM Reply   
Somebody say dick?
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-10-2016, 7:41 AM Reply   
That was bolts too. Kids these days SMH.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-10-2016, 7:56 AM Reply   
awesome. Stomped.
Old     (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       08-10-2016, 10:32 AM Reply   
When a "pro" is working on a trick like this, does it take him tons of tries or do they only do a few tries to get it? I know they are going much faster and bigger, so falls gotta be brutal.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       08-19-2016, 5:44 AM Reply   
I have to say that it takes some brass balls to keep taking hits on a trick after a few concussions, strained ligaments or broken bones. I played college football and still have taken way more brutal and frequent hits behind the boat.
I used to ride with no fear. After 2 blown knees, and cervical fusion, and 2 disc surgeries (among countless concussions and MANY other nagging minor injuries) all from riding behind the boat I have a respect for what the possible injuries can mean for your future health.
I can't imagine the beatings that some of the pro's have taken.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-19-2016, 7:24 AM Reply   
I have rode and coached many old school pros. There are guys that never take hard crashes and guys that always take hard crashes to learn tricks. I have seen guys like Chris Dykmans land dozens of hard tricks on the first try or without taking a hard crash. I have have never seen Schwenne take a real bad crash. I have seen Brett "IKE" - Take a bad crash on learning a 900 and coming up with a facefull of blood and keep pushing hard. I have seen Robbie Struharik takes some nasty heaters and keep rolling. I think a lot of it is there air awareness - while they all have it, so are just better at getting back to a safe position.

Me personally, I take every fall hard and when I am working on anything, I can be sure of lots of gnarly crashes. Even going shorter and slower, the reality is a big dude equals big crashes.

The majority of the worst crashes I have seen over 20+ years are on tricks that people have done a ton of time. I have seen lots of concussions, knocks out, broken bones, and blown knees. Its almost always on a trick the rider has always done. I think there is something to being prepared to take that crash when you learn something new verses when you are just riding and get a little lazy.

Also I can't tell you how may times that "last easy set" of the day turns into disaster. The rider is going to take a late easy set and just cruise. Turns bad more times than I can count.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-19-2016, 7:25 AM Reply   
Whats up with the camera man? Thats all the excited he can get?
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-12-2016, 10:49 AM Reply   
When it comes to taking hard crashes. If you don't push the limits you probably won't take the smackers. But as I tell my son:

You mess with bull you are going to get the horns.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       10-13-2016, 12:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalow View Post
Whats up with the camera man? Thats all the excited he can get?
HA! he probably didn't even know what happened. My wife has been watching me wakeboard for 12 years, and when I land something new and I get super excited she gets excited, but then always asks, "so what made that different than the other stuff you do."
Old     (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       10-13-2016, 4:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalow View Post
I have rode and coached many old school pros. There are guys that never take hard crashes and guys that always take hard crashes to learn tricks. I have seen guys like Chris Dykmans land dozens of hard tricks on the first try or without taking a hard crash. I have have never seen Schwenne take a real bad crash. I have seen Brett "IKE" - Take a bad crash on learning a 900 and coming up with a facefull of blood and keep pushing hard. I have seen Robbie Struharik takes some nasty heaters and keep rolling. I think a lot of it is there air awareness - while they all have it, so are just better at getting back to a safe position.

Me personally, I take every fall hard and when I am working on anything, I can be sure of lots of gnarly crashes. Even going shorter and slower, the reality is a big dude equals big crashes.

The majority of the worst crashes I have seen over 20+ years are on tricks that people have done a ton of time. I have seen lots of concussions, knocks out, broken bones, and blown knees. Its almost always on a trick the rider has always done. I think there is something to being prepared to take that crash when you learn something new verses when you are just riding and get a little lazy.

Also I can't tell you how may times that "last easy set" of the day turns into disaster. The rider is going to take a late easy set and just cruise. Turns bad more times than I can count.
Very insightful.

I'm always wondering about this. I have been in sports my whole life and have never had any injury or than bumps and bruises (soccer,skateboarding,snowboarding, etc..).

Now I have been boarding for less than 2 years and I have had 2 rib injuries (1 I'm still nursing), a class 2 tear on my chest muscle, knee pain, & countless headaches. I'm always wondering if it's normal for someone that's pushing and always trying new things, or I just suck at recovering THAT BAD!

I've noticed that alot of pro's purposely seem to dive in head first when they see an impending fall. Any recommendations would help.
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       10-14-2016, 6:16 AM Reply   
If you have to work the next day especially if it's for yourself and it even effects your performance one percent, then you went to far. If your income continues when you don't show up to work for yourself o someone else,then keep going, if not you went to far.. Judge it that way and get more help and coaching and try to minimize it. Why do you think surfing has taken over? The people who can afford these boats have to show up on Monday and perform.

It's not like your the guys from Boulder boats keeping up appearances and their reputation as dealers who ride well and post great vids, there injuries are a badge of honor, but I guarantee the real money man who owns it doesn't care if they don't show up to work on Monday

Heard of the NFL and effects of undiagnosed concussions,it's no joke, so if your consistently ringing your bell, that's not good

Last edited by granddaddy53; 10-14-2016 at 6:21 AM.