Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Chris5084)      Join Date: Jun 2016       08-18-2016, 6:50 PM Reply   
Need some help guys. My son is eaten up with wake boarding and i don't know where to go from here. He just started about 3 weeks ago and we have been going 3 to 4 days a week, and he's improving drastically. We are behind our tritoon, but have access to other wake boats. I'll attach some videos and greatly appreciate any tips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6KW...ature=youtu.be

https://youtu.be/fdHqFoSH7go
Old     (Chris5084)      Join Date: Jun 2016       08-18-2016, 6:58 PM Reply   
btw, i know NADA about wakeboarding. i just got up 2 days ago for the first time on my old man board (slingshot 150).
Old     (riderx77)      Join Date: May 2001       08-18-2016, 7:30 PM Reply   
Well, first I'd look at how much son is having and take that as a fantastic family bonding experience. I' not sure what you looking for: sponsorship, podium gold, more mobes than most; but there are definitely plenty of instructional and videos out there to improve. Enjoy your kid enjoying the time on the water with the family and not worry about the other implications or aspirations. Frame my response with wake boarding that was my passion for over a decade but now the dedicated dad of 3 (8 yo, 6, 4) who all can ride.
Old     (Chris5084)      Join Date: Jun 2016       08-18-2016, 7:42 PM Reply   
Should have been clear. Not looking for anything other than some tips (no sponsorships, podium golds or mobes). He's really been trying to catch a little air and I don't know how to instruct or help. Figured some of you guys would be able to help.
Old     (jward10)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-18-2016, 8:23 PM Reply   
Work on basics at slower speeds. He's riding good with good board control. Try some frontside and back side butter slides. Slide around to switch and work on riding switch a lot. He could probably get a decent wake on the toon to do some inside out jumps like he's doing. Just slow down a little more to make the wake a little bigger. An easy 180 is a toe side 1 wake 180. Here are some vids of my son that will give you some ideas.

Back Side 360
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gddIGTIamak

Back Side 180 off the inside out wake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOiDj9m09zk

Switch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QxjRDCZ96E
Old     (Chris5084)      Join Date: Jun 2016       08-18-2016, 8:47 PM Reply   
Thanks Justin! Appreciate your help. What speed do you guys work on basics? I'm pulling him at 16/17 in those videos, what's Yalls speed when riding?
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-19-2016, 7:27 AM Reply   
Also check out learnwake.com - great source.

Mainly just log as many hours behind the boat as possible and the rest will work itself out
Old     (gqjeff)      Join Date: Sep 2014       08-19-2016, 10:08 AM Reply   
My son at 7 was getting pulled about 14. Now at 9 we are running 18.5-19.5.
Old     (gqjeff)      Join Date: Sep 2014       08-19-2016, 10:09 AM Reply   
Not sure if a couple 400LB fat sacks would help increase the wake some for him to get some air.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-19-2016, 11:29 AM Reply   
Watch some utube video's for ideas and tips and get him out on those other boats especially if there are other riders. The more experienced the other riders the more goodies he will pick up. Enjoy it...soon you will be buying another boat.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-19-2016, 2:13 PM Reply   
JDUB hit the nail on the head perfectly. This is the perfect time to work on fundamentals of spinning and riding switch. Your son is having fun, and that is beautiful, but I think it is a mistake at that age to focus only on catching air. This is the same mentality that has older riders learning tantrums who cannot even ride switch. He can do tons of surface tricks and spins behind that boat with the right encouragement. For starters, make sure any removable fins are taken off his board. In this day and age, there is no point in having kids become dependent on fins only to later take them off and have to relearn. My son (8) has never ridden a board with fins. Also, it can be fun to set up a reward system with a chart, log book, stickers, or similar. Ronix kids' board a few years back came with a pack of stickers, and with each new trick a sticker was added to the board. This worked great as a motivator, and I expanded it with my own extra stickers for even greater emphasis on switch versions of basic tricks. Rewards can be given for counting out loud or saying a rhyme while riding switch, waving, touching the water switch, etc. Find language that your kid thinks is cool (e.g., my son thinks the idea of riding "cuffed" sounds tough, like handcuffs, so he's working on that). I'm not above bribes, so if he needs that extra push to try something new, then I'll challenge him to do it for a double scoop Baskin Robbins on the way home.

Your boat is not conducive to catching air, so why make that the measure of accomplishment? My son rides on Saturdays with my competition slalom crew behind a 196 with tiny wake, so we make the wakeboarding goals line up with the boat and the conditions. We do land training to work on eye and head position (eyes ALWAYS on horizon, knees bent, tug handle and press to the small of your back, etc). Years ago Mike Schwenne showed me a spin trainer he invented ($6 home depot lazy susan swivel sandwiched in between an old deck and a plywood base, then you attach a rope and handle to something solid, put a bit of bungy cord in the line for stretch), and let him spin his little head off on land. I made one and it has been helpful. I've also just dragged him around on the grass while strapped into his board to trouble shoot body position issues.

I do agree with whomever said get him out with other riders on other boats with real wakes, this will keep him motivated and also exposed to diverse instruction and influences. When we occasionally get up to the delta and ride sacked out, then it is a whole new exciting dimension, but the fundamentals are there. Now even when he is working on boosting air off a legit wake, he doesn't crash nearly as often because his board control and balance are so much better.

These are just a few ideas that have worked for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHI-...ature=youtu.be
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-19-2016, 4:40 PM Reply   
Your kid is going to have a wicked ollie, BTW! Looks like overall he's doing great for where he's at.
Old     (Chris5084)      Join Date: Jun 2016       08-22-2016, 3:32 PM Reply   
thanks guys. tons of good info. let me soak all of this new info up.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       08-23-2016, 9:48 AM Reply   
As a long time rider and official I'm always trying to remind beginners that there's so much more to do on a wakeboard than airs. I occasionally make a point to ride for people with the caveat that "everything I do once I get up is a beginner trick" to show them how much more there is than trying to get air. Build the fundamentals and everything gets easier.

A good resource can be found in the wakeworld archives http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showt...errerid=152211

Last edited by eternalshadow; 08-23-2016 at 9:51 AM.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-23-2016, 10:48 AM Reply   
The Book Beginners disc is a solid one for working on edge technique and learn proper form. Couple drills to build balance and get started off on the right foot. I think you can buy the discs separately, but if he's into like it sounds, I'd buy the whole set. Not that $$
Old     (Chris5084)      Join Date: Jun 2016       08-23-2016, 6:18 PM Reply   
I'll check that post and those disks out. we went for a ride after school and had him take his fins off. he was loving it!
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-23-2016, 7:05 PM Reply   
^

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showt...ighlight=zucky

Last edited by dococ; 08-23-2016 at 7:12 PM. Reason: added information
Old     (Chris5084)      Join Date: Jun 2016       08-23-2016, 9:00 PM Reply   
thanks for the link. I'll have to show this to Liam. His mind will be blown!
Old     (Connolly_Crew)      Join Date: Mar 2016       08-26-2016, 4:18 AM Reply   
The Book video series will be helpful. You can also check out learnwake.com or wakemd app. All will give you things to work on to help him progress
Old     (Chris5084)      Join Date: Jun 2016       08-26-2016, 6:37 AM Reply   
Thanks man! I am about to pull the trigger on the book box set. There is the regular box set and the mobile box set. Any difference in the content or is it just resolution?
Old     (Connolly_Crew)      Join Date: Mar 2016       09-18-2016, 5:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris5084 View Post
Thanks man! I am about to pull the trigger on the book box set. There is the regular box set and the mobile box set. Any difference in the content or is it just resolution?

I didn't even know there was a mobile set! Ha!