Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-06-2016, 7:47 AM Reply   
Been out of the scene for a while having kids. I have a 2003 X2 right now but I think we are ready to move to a larger boat. I was wondering if anyone had advice on what to look for and what to avoid? Just starting our search now. We are pretty much set on an X star so please keep the recommendations to X star features. Located in California if that matters. Thanks, Mike
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-06-2016, 9:09 AM Reply   
Those boats were all pretty solid. The 8.1 big block had a lot of issues, and I think you would find the MCX motor under powered. I think they made a 6 liter that worked well. I think it was the LQ9?
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-06-2016, 9:27 AM Reply   
The 6 liter is what I think I need unless opinions point me in another direction.
I think it has 400HP.
The 310HP is not going to cut it for how I use the boat.

I may be old but I am not dead. I still like my big wake.
Old     (holdsworth)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-06-2016, 11:45 AM Reply   
We had an '04 with the 8.1L and had some issues with it. Previous owner before us actually replaced it not long before we bought it. Definitely go for the 6.0L motor, it's a beast. Can't go wrong elsewhere with the 2nd gen X-Star, one of the best wakes out there and a fantastic boat all around. We only got rid of it to get a new X-Star last year. Good luck with your search!!
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-06-2016, 12:53 PM Reply   
Great that is the info I was looking for on the motor.

How do you like the new X-star? That would be a bit large for my lake.
Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-06-2016, 2:43 PM Reply   
MCX works awesome with the new OJ v3 props. I have the full PWT ballast and MCX and zero complaints. Awesome boat.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-07-2016, 7:18 AM Reply   
When would you guys be concerned by hours? Seems like a lot for sale right at 500 hours.
I killed my other boat. 1600 hours and the boat ran great with 3k in weight in it. Maybe the exception, not the rule?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-07-2016, 7:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPMike0663 View Post
When would you guys be concerned by hours? Seems like a lot for sale right at 500 hours.
I killed my other boat. 1600 hours and the boat ran great with 3k in weight in it. Maybe the exception, not the rule?

500 hours wouldn't bother me.
Old     (hrwboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-07-2016, 8:19 AM Reply   
Hi Mike,

We have an '08 40th Anniversary Xstar. Recently plumbed in all of the ballast (750s in the rear/400s under the front two seats) and removed the timers on the ballast pumps and replaced with relays. Works great at the flip of a switch. I absolutely love the wake but it does take a lot of extra ballast to really get it to shape up so plumbing it in did away with filling all the sacks by hand. I personally do not care for the stock ballast wake.

Ours has the 400 HP engine and does take some time to plane out and then turns pretty hard RPMs. I wouldn't even consider one with 310 HP if you plan to load it down.

Overall, we've had a lot of issues with the boat itself. With that being said, it really comes down to how well it was taken care of throughout the life of the boat. A boat with 500 hours that's been meticulously cared for can definitely be a better buy than one with fewer hours that hasn't been cared for so well.

Our boat previously sat in a lift and was ran everyday with enough weight that the windshield wouldn't close. Now it has stress cracks in the bottom of the hull. So maybe when you're looking around that's something to think about as well.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-07-2016, 9:59 AM Reply   
MY buddy has the 40th anniversary boat as well. He has about 1000 pounds of battery weight and a thousand pounds of the lead and the wake is really nice. It does take a little while to get on plane. I wont be messing with 310HP.
Cameron,
Can you describe some of the other problems you experienced? I had rough time with my X-2 when I first bought it but after the first year it purred like a kitten, even with 3000 pounds in it until just recently. I just replaced the motor but my wife and I think it is time for a bigger boat with our family.
Old     (holdsworth)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-07-2016, 10:07 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPMike0663 View Post
Great that is the info I was looking for on the motor.

How do you like the new X-star? That would be a bit large for my lake.
Absolutely love the new one. Loads down a bit differently but it has a really awesome wake and I love driving it around the lake when we're not riding. Love the all-digital dash too, the three screens is a sweet setup. We have gen2 on it as well, and the triple-tab logic with the autolaunch is worth it's weight in gold. Tried planing out without the auto launch and it wasn't happening, but it hops right up with the use of the three tabs like it's not even weighted. Only reason we would get rid of it is to get a newer X-Star
Old     (hrwboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-07-2016, 3:10 PM Reply   
Mike, I believe that's a good call on the smaller engine.

Most of our issues can be traced back to the dealer causing more issues than helping. Outside of those problems we've recently replaced the throttle position sensor and just had the occasional maintenance issue - blew a hose on the external oil filter and dumped oil into the bilge, nut on the backside of the shaft came out and prop slid into the rudder (at low speed thankfully!)... But like I said I think a lot of that has to do with the boat not being maintained as well as it should have been early in life.

If your buddy has the 40th I'm sure you're aware that they are LOUD. I personally don't mind at all but I do hear that comment from some others who aren't used to riding behind it.

As far as being a bigger boat... I think it rides better in rough water than either the 210 or the 230. The wake is tremendously better than the X-25 and I would honestly rather ride behind it than the G23.. But that probably has a lot more to do with me being used to the wake...
Old     (jafo9)      Join Date: May 2012       09-11-2016, 11:28 AM Reply   
i thought the MCX was 350hp?