Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jfergus7)      Join Date: Jul 2011       01-06-2016, 10:24 PM Reply   
Have an opportunity to purchase a 1998 Malibu Response with tower. It has a new Sacs Vortex Long block engine in it and has been completely redone top to bottom including fiberglass, paint and interior. Asking $9500 so could probably get a bit lower. Anyone have one set up like this or have thoughts on it?

Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-06-2016, 10:52 PM Reply   
It's a great ski boat for calm bodies of water.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-06-2016, 11:35 PM Reply   
Nice looking ride. What do you do? Wakeboard or ski?

You mentioned it has sacs... just keep in mind that boat already sits low and with added ballast will sit even lower.

All that said, I used to wakeboard behind Responses all the time. You can get an ok wake with some weight in there.
Old     (jfergus7)      Join Date: Jul 2011       01-07-2016, 12:41 AM Reply   
I mainly wakeboard and have behind this boat for a few years. It definitely does ride low and we have over the years taken on water but for the small like I am on that typically isn't a problem.
Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       01-07-2016, 8:08 AM Reply   
Was the exterior painted with regular automotive paint? That spray paint on the guide on poles looks the same color as the boat. That trailer probably needs a lot of work. This last one is nitpicking, but that bimini color doesn't match the boat at all.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-07-2016, 11:57 AM Reply   
Looks like a nice clean boat, but the wakeboard potential is limited.

My advice would be keep an eye peeled for a older used V-drive for a few thousand more and run with that.
Old     (jfergus7)      Join Date: Jul 2011       01-07-2016, 11:57 AM Reply   
No it wasn't regular auto paint. I know that he did that correctly. And he actually had a new bimini for it but these pics were taking right after it got put back in the water before the bimini arrived.
Old     (jfergus7)      Join Date: Jul 2011       01-07-2016, 11:59 AM Reply   
I have boarded behind it many times and though it isn't perfect for my level of riding it will work just fine and I know for my kids and all the friends skiing and tubing it will work just perfectly! I am not a huge fan of the color scheme but I can live with it and I could always get him to repaint it if I wanted or get it wrapped.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-08-2016, 7:30 AM Reply   
IMHO I'd look for something with more freeboard. I rode behind a Malibu sportster (similar boat) for years and if my budget were around yours id save up and find me a mastercraft prostar 205 or a nautique 210. Idk your financial situation but that's what I'd do. Better wake, the more you and your kids progress riding the better the 205 or 210 will be.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-08-2016, 7:34 AM Reply   
http://www.onlyinboards.com/1999-Mas...sey-51031.aspx
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       01-08-2016, 1:19 PM Reply   
its not the best for wake stuff. I like the MC a lot better. proven hull for wake
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-09-2016, 7:25 AM Reply   
how long did it take you to save the 9500? If it took 5 yrs and you really want to enjoy owning a boat and its clean and solid and will be reliable? BUY IT, if you have time and can save more quickly, then get something thats going to fit your needs and you will be thankful you waited. 9500 is a drop in the bucket in boat prices today. So it would be tough to find a lot of options in that price range that do not need totally overhauled. good luck