Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 18, 2006

Old    mike_schauman            06-06-2006, 4:12 PM Reply   
how much rope do you use when u wakeboard? How fast do you tipicall go?
Old     (ozwest)      Join Date: May 2006       06-06-2006, 4:45 PM Reply   
Lots of factors to consider...boat, wake, water conditions, etc. I generally prefer between 21-23 depending on how choppy the lake/river is. As for line length...depends on which boat I'm behind and where it puts me in the wake. I use a main line that's 65 feet and have up to three 5 foot sections I can add on. Most of the time I'm somewhere between 75 and 80 feet.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-06-2006, 7:01 PM Reply   
yeah Mike, kick us down some more info so we can help you.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-06-2006, 7:03 PM Reply   
I ride 23 mph at 80'... behind a Super Air. And 22 mph at 75' behind a Malibu.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-06-2006, 7:04 PM Reply   
@ basically all this is factored on weight, depth of water each typically rides in and just where I feel like being that day. It's something you should play with.
Old    mike_schauman            06-07-2006, 5:57 PM Reply   
well im about 140 lbs and gotta supra lts loaded with ballast so if that tells you anything?
Old     (sixeye)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-07-2006, 6:23 PM Reply   
Mike,
Just experiment at different lengths and speeds. As "M" mentioned, there are a lot of factors involved. Wake shape, height, your skill level and what you are trying to do for example.

I ride at much shorter lengths than mentioned here because I am not able to clear W2W at 75-80 feet yet. I'll get it but for now, I'm at 65 ft at 22-23 mph and trying different tricks (early intermediate ones!) at that level. I will continue to push it during the summer, extending the rope to 70, etc.

There is no one answer here. Your best bet is to experiment and find what you like. And then if you want to push further, do so. I could be content at the level I'm riding I suppose but I want to continue to advance, so I will push a little more each week. I'm getting some good coaching so far early this season, so perhaps I will master 70-75 feet this summer. We'll see.

Do what works for you and take it beyond that if you are inclined to push further. Whatever works!
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-07-2006, 7:00 PM Reply   
If I were to ride behind your boat I would ride between 80 and 85 at about 24 or 25 mph.