Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       05-03-2016, 4:31 PM Reply   
For those who still don't understand how 1 boat can ruin an entire slough like Vics at the delta, here is a pic to show you. See how there's absolutely no one in front of us, but rollers perpendicular to the slough itself that will just multiply on and on & follow the slough till the very end.

1 boat kills all that glass for everyone.
Attached Images

Old     (svnfightsvn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       05-03-2016, 6:06 PM Reply   
Looks like that could be caused by wind
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-03-2016, 6:27 PM Reply   
That's not what wind looks like on the Delta. Besides there was no wind that day.

It was pretty remarkable how those rollers traveled the entire way down the slough. Over and over. We were gonna call it a day, byt then the surfer left and 30 min later it was glass again.
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-03-2016, 6:34 PM Reply   
Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1462325663076.jpg
Views: 2780
Size:  25.4 KB
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       05-03-2016, 7:00 PM Reply   
Wind had a high of 3mph that day.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       05-03-2016, 7:11 PM Reply   
This was before the surfer showed up
Attached Images

Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-04-2016, 6:19 AM Reply   
As someone who has never ridden the delta, or similar style of water way ... what do you propose as the cure for this problem? Other people don't have fun how they please there?... or is there something those specific surfers did wrong?

I live on a public lake, M-Thurs its dead calm and glassy. Fri-Sunday it gets nuts since like 75% of the houses are vacation homes ... so three days a week I just have to deal with it, because it isn't my lake, and "the weekendsers" that ruin things have every right to be out there having fun just like me. Are wakesurfers the new tubers or jetskis?
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       05-04-2016, 6:55 AM Reply   
Nah he was just on 1 of the mainstays where all the wallys go. Kinda his own fault to be honest. We NEVER ride Vic's for that reason.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-04-2016, 6:59 AM Reply   
True. Vics Slough can allow 20 boats pulling Wakeboarders and Skiers a great time. Or ONE surf board can have fun......which will roll out the water for everyone else and make the water only useable for surfing, tubing, and Air Chairs I guess.

Locals understand the etiquette for the most part. Most people know to surf the river at the other end and leave Vics to the boarders and skiers. But some don't Nothing you can do.

"Are wakesurfers the new tubers or jetskis?"

Way worse. And I'm really not about hating on Wakesurfing or the people that do it. It's just a simple fact that they wreck the water like a yacht rolling through.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       05-04-2016, 7:08 AM Reply   
It's MY job to educate people out here!! Lol I get into almost everyday with fishermen jet skiers and surfers. People have zero etiquette. If you come around a corner and see wake skater getting a sesh back and forth don't park in the middle of a slough and fish then get mad when you get buzzed. Lmao with all the cammo on you can barely see these dudes!
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-04-2016, 7:13 AM Reply   
Over the years I have tried many things. I find if I get close enough to them sitting, I'll pull over share a adult beverage and see if I can convince them to switch sloughs. If they want to fight it, than its not worth it. If they were never wakeboarder or skiers they may not understand what it does to our water. So often times it is just educating them a bit.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-04-2016, 7:18 AM Reply   
Thanks for the info, I'm spoiled and honestly have no clue ... our lake M-Thurs is pontoons and fishermen but is large enough to work in harmony... it help that we're one of like 3 full time people who use the lake for watersports. The weekend is just wally-central so I usual use that time to surf or just idle around the lake ... no chance I'll wakeboard during that chaos.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       05-04-2016, 7:22 AM Reply   
Ha first I'll tell them the situation and ask if they'll bounce politely. Unfortunately a lot of them already hate us for 1 reason or another and often wanna be stubborn. But whatever it is what it is.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-04-2016, 1:40 PM Reply   
I remember a funny moment years ago when I was out on the boat with my sister-in-law (barefooter) and father-in-law (slalom). My sister-in-law was bitching out these fisherman for blocking "her" straight-away, and you could tell they had no idea what she was talking about and were like "whatever, b..." I kept my mouth shut, because could see both sides of the issue and didn't have a dog in the fight for that particular occasion. Although I prefer wakeboarding above all else, I've had plenty of fun in my life fishing, barefooting, slalom, 3-event, and whatever else can be done on or in water.

Anyway, it was all just an amusing reminder to me that, according to human nature, most people are going to perceive their own interests as being more valid and important relative to others with differing interests.

That said, certainly there is value in knowing the local customs/protocol and doing ones best to be considerate to others.

BTW, that is a wicked looking shot at the top of this thread. That must be from a drone?

Last edited by dococ; 05-04-2016 at 1:43 PM. Reason: typos
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-04-2016, 11:05 PM Reply   
I'd be more concerned with that hyacinth moving in and narrowing the channel.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       05-05-2016, 5:56 AM Reply   
^lol maybe it will keep "surfers" at the lakes.
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       05-05-2016, 6:08 AM Reply   
Unless they're doing power turns or something - please explain why someone surfing would mess up the water more than a wakeboarder? If you drive correctly, you should still only be throwing your wake toward the shore, no?

I do both, as do most of the guys around me.. I've never suddenly seen rollers going down the cove - but then again, we all know how to drive.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-05-2016, 7:32 AM Reply   
Wakesurfing has a similar effect to power turning with a much further carry. Wakesurf wakes follow the boat, whereas a wake generated from a fast moving boat pushes the wake out to the shore. Different trajectory. I don't know why, but I do know that a surf boat at slow speeds is displacing a lot more water.

The surf boat upsets the water so bad in the narrow channel that it carries a mile down the channel. The wakes bounces off the shore, return toward the middle, and the process starts. They also push through the plant divider of the two channels and destroy the other side as well.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       05-05-2016, 7:37 AM Reply   
But then again.... Even Gertrude can do it!
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-05-2016, 7:48 AM Reply   
CIE is right. All wakes move on an arch and not straight to shore. The surf waves are so slow that the arch eventually turns straight down the line. Surely, you have noticed that when you pick up your wake surfer and continue the same direction that you get caught in your own rollers. I live on a river and it is a big problem. I'd rather share my river with 3 power turners than 1 wake surf boat. That said, our part of the river is pretty secluded so we still have a lot of good water. You just know that at about 2pm on Saturday, SURF's UP! and roll with it or just roll to the party island.
Old    cheesesteak            05-05-2016, 7:51 AM Reply   
Well - it is generally accepted (with some unproven dissent) that all boat wakes follow the Kelvin Wake Pattern.

http://www.math.ubc.ca/~cass/courses...n/Mainpage.htm

That said - I have a hard time believing a boat surfing with 1000 pounds of ballast (my boat) makes a larger, more damaging wake than a G23 with 2000 pounds wake boarding.

Maybe I'm wrong - but some of these massive wakeboard boats are making huge wakes.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-05-2016, 7:58 AM Reply   
Those rollers are for real and they do screw up the water. I've noticed if you're surfing down river or with the current, the rollers dissipate WAY faster than if you're heading upstream and they aren't as large either. Not sure if there's any current caused by tidal changes at Vic's. If so, you could teach them to surf with the current. Or you could just go all Yosemite Sam on em and shoot holes in the floor of their boat. Looney Tunes gave us many solutions to life's problems......
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       05-05-2016, 8:26 AM Reply   
Lol!!!^ that would be awesome
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-05-2016, 8:55 AM Reply   
Cheesesteak, I think it has more to do with the speed of the rollers. The momentum pushes them out a longer distance before they turn. Just based on experience, surf rollers stick around longer and bulge the river up and down. Wakeboard wakes just bounce right back to the middle.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-05-2016, 8:58 AM Reply   
What is comes down to is this; This body of water does not exist solely for wakeboarding. So it needs to be shared.

I think spreading the word (in a respectful manner), that they are making it difficult to share is a good thing. But in the end they have every right to use the water as they wish. That goes for wakesurfers, fishermen, tubers, skiiers, etc...
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-05-2016, 9:04 AM Reply   
Cheesesteak. You aren't understanding. A wakeboarding wake is moving outwards and away from your line where as the surf wake follows your line. As noted above if you ever run a line surfing and then turnaround and go back the same way you came your boat will be bobbing up and down. If you've never noticed pay attention next time. I can totally see how in a channel like the majority of the Delta it could ruin a spot quick.

I do agree with the other remarks above as well about everyone and their own agenda. I used to be the guy yelling at tubers to get the F away from the wind sheltered calm stretch of water so I could wakeboard. Well, I don't wakeboard as often anymore so now I'm the one running that line surfing sometimes. That being said if someone is wakeboarding I try and stay out of the way as to not wash out their line.

It also does come down to some common sense and knowledge of the area. If I ever got down to the delta I wouldn't know where I should be going to wakeboard or surf so I could easily become "that guy". So with that being said I think that's why it would be important to at least try and approach that problem boat on the friendly or educating tip then coming out yelling and screaming.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       05-05-2016, 9:08 AM Reply   
^i agree more often then not people are just ignorant to etiquette
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       05-05-2016, 9:25 AM Reply   
Cheesesteak - The reason I posted that Picture is to show you & the rest of you here who still don't seem to get it. So maybe the picture can finally clear your confusion. Do you see the rollers lined up perpendicular to the slough? The rollers that my boat is driving directly over(you actually see the splash of my bow from hitting between the roller & about to slam again)? Do you see those rollers going the same direction as my boat and the same direction of the slough itself? Those are the rollers of the surf boat. They are NOT LIKE THE ROLLERS of the wakeboat which are traveling to the left and to the right of the boat into shore on the right side & to the tully's(grass) island on the left. Those wakes from my boat will disappear within 10 seconds after my boat passes.
AS YOU CAN SEE, the rollers of the surf boat are following my boat and following the slough & stretch the entire width of the slough. Those rollers will continue to multiply & run over a mile until the very end of that slough. Therefore that entire run is ruined for anyone trying to wakeboard, ski, slalom on it for a very long time.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       05-05-2016, 9:32 AM Reply   
Here let me help you see it more clearly if you are still confused.
Attached Images

Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-05-2016, 9:38 AM Reply   
Looks like an endless double up to me...haha. I used to think it was funny when wakeboarding was getting popular and the single skiers got mad at us for big wakes and ruining the water. I don't think it's too funny anymore with wakesurfing's rise.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-05-2016, 9:41 AM Reply   
I don't see the problem. Just endless double ups.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-05-2016, 9:41 AM Reply   
LOL we both wrote that at the same time.
Old     (larry1167)      Join Date: Jun 2010       05-05-2016, 10:28 AM Reply   
You can literally tell how deep those rollers are by the white water spray outside the wake. Look how far out the spray projected. Definitely frustrating.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       05-05-2016, 10:34 AM Reply   
^Exactly
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-05-2016, 10:51 AM Reply   
I am also still baffled at how wakesurfers dont understand the difference of the wake trajectory. But then again, I also dont understand the joy of wakesurfing.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       05-05-2016, 11:00 AM Reply   
I just like the way you called it what it is,wakesurfing. It's not surfing or even close to surfing.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-05-2016, 12:35 PM Reply   
That would be a special version of hell for a wakeboarder

sounds like Heaven:
ballasted Nautique - check
sunny - check
glassy water - check
tunes blasting - check
Vics slough on an uncrowded day - check

but wait
endless rollers preventing any sort of riding - ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, why didn't I go to church more
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-05-2016, 1:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by migs View Post
Here let me help you see it more clearly if you are still confused.
Migs, you forgot to continue your red lines through the tullies over to the other side.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-05-2016, 1:27 PM Reply   
I never ask anyone to leave or try to lecture them on etiquette. I've never ever seen that lead to a good outcome. I don't like that one boat of surfers is okay (or just unaware) with stopping a dozen or more other boats from having great water. But I also believe everyone has the right to use the water however they want.

If you want to bring you quad out to the motocross track, do your thing.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-05-2016, 1:28 PM Reply   
Definitely caused by a wakesurfer. Have any of you seen the ghost rollers on vics in the afternoon?
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       05-05-2016, 3:25 PM Reply   
^^^ Yup you gotta love the Ghost rollers. Even when the wakesurfers are gone, their rollers are still around for another 20-30 minutes.
Old     (Bam6961)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-05-2016, 4:09 PM Reply   
@Jarrod I noticed that too. Water is higher now in the spring.

Vics is almost turning into Twins! haha!
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-05-2016, 6:57 PM Reply   
Good thing is that most wake surfers have no idea what a triple up roller looks like when it's being created 😜
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       05-05-2016, 7:42 PM Reply   
OMG...those rollers are as big as the feelings of entitlement in this thread!
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-06-2016, 12:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstroop View Post
OMG...those rollers are as big as the feelings of entitlement in this thread!
^^^Best post of this thread!
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       05-06-2016, 5:50 AM Reply   
I love how everyone is arguing with the physics explained in cheesesteak's link... a surf wake doesn't 'turn'.. and it doesn't 'follow your line'. That isn't how physics works.

Outlining it in the picture doesn't support bad science.. it supports bad driving.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-06-2016, 6:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator View Post
I love how everyone is arguing with the physics explained in cheesesteak's link... a surf wake doesn't 'turn'.. and it doesn't 'follow your line'. That isn't how physics works.

Outlining it in the picture doesn't support bad science.. it supports bad driving.
Actually, it's not being argued. His link SHOWS the swell. It's the black lines that go from one side to the the other. A boat half-way on plane exaggerates it greatly. Anyone that's been boating around yachts that typically cruise with the stern of the boat very deep in the water will tell you that this absolutely occurs without question.

Last edited by boardjnky4; 05-06-2016 at 6:07 AM.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-06-2016, 8:03 AM Reply   
Best part of the delta... We can just go to a different slough! I have not rode vic's in two years because there are tons of other great sloughs that are not used. With over 1,000 miles of waterways, there are plenty to choose from. I spent the majority of the last two decades on Vics and filmed delta sessions there, but got sick of the idiots out there. There is nothing better than having the afternoon there all to yourself in my mind, but for the other days there are too many idiots to deal with.

What if you had a tee shirt gun and shot tee shirts at the Wakesurfers with a big ass smiley face on it.
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-09-2016, 7:49 PM Reply   
Yep, Vics on busy summer weekends is a hot mess! I think we were all just surprised to find out the summer started in April this year.
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-22-2016, 9:13 AM Reply   
Yeah, it drives me crazy out there on Vics and Railroad when this crap happens. Power turners screw it up too. We try to tell people when we see it happen but no matter how polite we try to say it, they always take it personally and continue to drive like idiots.