Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-06-2011, 7:02 PM Reply   
So I finally have a Tige dealer in my area. Looking to check out these two boats and wondering what the differences are. From my search I have found that the R20 is the base model. Same hulls tho. Also the 20 has a limited option list. Unfortunately the dealer is a runabout dealer and can't really tell me jack about the boats or the wake . Stuff as options and what not. They just regurgitate the sales pitch they learned from the clinic.

Really liked the revamped 20 v and its big water ride. Currently own a 2000 Xstar with about 2400 lbs of ballast. Have about 5 inverts and would say a solid intermediate rider. Have a young family. Wife and both girls 4 and 6 board. Live on a small private lake. We board 60-70% of time and surf the rest ( everyone is goofy footed) tho slaloming is making a comeback more and more for me. Currently debating a used 07-08 Nauty 210, used Nauti SV211, New Moomba Lsv, and the Tige
I have been in the industry so I know the quality differences between the mentioned boats. However I have no info on the newer Tige lines since they revamped thier hulls. Their wake pesky or mellow? How will the R20 surf compared to my 205v/xstar/x1? How will it ski?

I am looking must have options of biggest balast package, hydraulic taps, pp, carpet. Probably stick w base engine as I am sure its plenty with the right prop. Basic stereo as I will keep al my wetsounds stuff out of my current boat.

Is the carpet/ vinyl a cheaper grade than Rzr? Amy other main differences?

I have been in both on the showroom floor. The lack of drivers throttle armrest is a huge issue. The observers storage area was a pita to open as was the rear walkthrough hatch. It seemed the vinyl was different quality between the two. My biggest issue is that I won't be able to test drive it before I pull the trigger unless I fly somewhere out of town due to weather, so am looking for info before I do that.

Also any main upgrades from 2011 til 2012. I was actually shocked by the MSRP at first . Thought the basic R20 with essentials would be 50 msrp, however it was 63,000 and a nicely equipped Rzr was 84 k if I recall. Also the msrp between the r20 and Rzr base was like 8k. You really didn't seem to get much more performance oriented stuff for the base differences

Last edited by xstarrider; 12-06-2011 at 7:09 PM.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-06-2011, 7:14 PM Reply   
Here was the rest of my thoughts from my Tige post after getting in and rummaging through the boat
Some of it may be a repeat from post above. Just easier to cut and paste

. I really really liked the fact they still use aerator pumps and each has it's own pick up. Such a simple cost effective design. Aerators run much faster as well and have way less issues from my experience. Only thing I noticed was that they were attched to pvc valves. I thought anything below the waterline required brass shutoff valves per regulations. The standard driver's seat was comfy and the view was super clear. No dash parts that rise up and inhibit the view.

As far as the R20 vs the RZR the diamond stitch on the RZR is sharp. Also loved the grab handles and rubrail. Really liked the fold down platform as well. Tige touch was a breeze to flow through. I could go either way on the tower. Neither one screamed at me more than the other. So there were some questions I had that the dealer couldn't answer. 1) is the standard tower bimini an over the top bimini as well? 2) The RZR had these corner cushions that flipped over and had carpet on the other side. They were super unstable at first try upside down with carpet up. I could see a ton of people as well as my daughters wiping out. Was that standard on the RZR or an option? 3)Seems like they used a bag and not tanks up front. Anbody know what bag it is? Is it a fly high integrated bow sac or something similar, or is it 2 seperate bags on each side of the bow? I thought I saw 4 through hulls and pumps, but I cant recall.

There were 3 major things I really didn't like in both boats tho and am curious what you owners have to say. In order of importance to me... 1) There is no driver's throttle armrest. I was lost with my throttle hand. Was weird as heck 2) the storage compartment acess layout. While the bow compartment and the long benches in the rear were easy to access.....the observers seat as well as the engine storage compartment with the fiberglass lid were a pain to get in and out of. It took a ton of contorting that observer seat to get it free and rise up. The glass section of the engine hatch would not stay up with the single gas shock. Also both rear hatches realy put huge amount of pressure on the rear center engine hatch vinyl when open. It really smushes it down. 3) both batteries are all the way in the rear. This kind of makes it hard to run all the stereo stuff. Also on my current boat and previous (6) those hatches back there get water from people coming in and out so often. Is that an issue?

Overall the boats made great impression on me. Drove like a dream. Blew the current X2 out of the water handling wise and ride wise. Couldn't ride the wake at all as I have 17 anchors that were just drilled in my shoulder for a completely 360 degreee torn labrum and torn bicep. Was also extremely impressed with rock solidness of the the standard tower. They actualy had a video of both boats side by side on the water in a race. The 343 barely and I mean barely edged it out. I am guessing just like most companies base and next level up engine the torque curves on the low end are almost identical. Its only noticeable at the very top end.

Wasn't expecting a 63k msrp price tag on the standard R20 though with basic options. Snap in carpet, taps 2, depth finder,cover,bimini,standard trailer. Just kind of surprised me ALOT. As well as the 88k tag on the RZR optioned out. While I know again its MSRp still caught me by surprise. A decked out X2 isn't even that much. Just my thoughts so far. Like I said though......really impressed at first glance. Just got some thinking to do and most importantly take the boss/driver out for her test drive and first look. Last
Old    MChase            12-06-2011, 8:06 PM Reply   
Have you considered a F21 from MB Sport? They will be cheaper than the RZR and will have similar if not better quality. Has a huge stock ballast system which fills in 60 seconds. The wake is best in industry. I have a 230 Super Air Nautique and regret not saving 30000 and buying a F23 from MB Sport.
Old     (bspot5)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-06-2011, 8:21 PM Reply   
I have a 2011 RZR and love the boat. I looked at the X2, VTX, MB B52 TWB all before purchasing this boat. After driving and checking all all those boats the RZR was the best fit for me. Handles great, has a great wake and has great fit and finish. Managed to log 65 hours this summer with no issues except a wetsounds amplifier crapping out. The prices you are talking about are definitely suggested retail price but should be selling for much cheaper than that!
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-06-2011, 8:23 PM Reply   
As far as other models n mfgs. Mb is def not in the equation. No dealer network anymore here at all.

I worked in the industry and have been to factories and pretty much been behind almost every boat from every mfg except the newer Tige and current newer body MB's. I do know the quality of the newer Mb's and their value. However just not an option.

My Skiers choice/Nauti dealer is top notch. Always take care of me. So am kind of bias already on the switch. However I am partial to the 20 ft boat range due to space and a 21 ft size limit on my lake. So the fact Tige grabbed a dealer here has intrigued me a bit.

As far as msrp for sure just msrp. But the actual cost is based off that msrp. Just seems awfully high for their 20 ft boat. Again just surprised me a bit. I have found they were going mid 45's on avg. Found a couple left over 11's with my options for sub 40 k. Even at 20% which I consider a good deal you are at 50k. Again just thinking out loud more or less.

Last edited by xstarrider; 12-06-2011 at 8:30 PM.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       12-07-2011, 7:56 AM Reply   
Sending you a PM

Last edited by tampawake; 12-07-2011 at 7:57 AM. Reason: meant to send this as a PM
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       12-07-2011, 3:51 PM Reply   
i would expect to be around <60k for a well optioned RZR, 50 ish for r20 if your looking at a 210 maybe check out a z1?

the wakes have some good buck to them but can be toned down with taps if youre all about a mellow ramp. It surfs great goofy or reg, the wakeboard wake is wide and i would say a little on the softer side of wakes, but this is an advantage when you ride with the wake as steep as you can get it like me, doesnt feel like crap on the knees. That said its not soft enough where youre going to punch thru the wake.

The one negative of the boat is that the hull has such a large rocker that it can porpoise given the conditions so keep the taps plate around 4/5 when boarding, 2/3 when cruising.

in terms of build quality the whole boat feels really solid and well put together, youll notice this in rough water.
The fiberglass is easily the same thickness as my buddies MC x-25, build quality is of no concern.

no issues with the boat at all, just a clogged fuel filter from some bad gas (my fault, i caught something from a dirty ol' can)

hope that helps i have wake pics if you PM me
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       12-07-2011, 4:14 PM Reply   
and there is an arm rest? i dont know why there wouldnt be one? and in terms of the observers seat just push down on the edge of the bench seat and the observer pops right open
Old     (bspot5)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-07-2011, 7:15 PM Reply   
There is an armrest on my RZR?
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-07-2011, 9:03 PM Reply   
Is the rzr the same hull as an 03 20v?
if so imo you really need to wake board the boat before ordering one, coming off the 205v hull I think you could be disappointed with the wake performance.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       12-08-2011, 7:00 AM Reply   
it "evolved" from that hull but i understand it has deeper v, narrower beam, more rocker and wider beam throughout.
if you test ride it make sure you have the ballast full and the taps set at 4
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-08-2011, 12:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph View Post
Is the rzr the same hull as an 03 20v?
if so imo you really need to wake board the boat before ordering one, coming off the 205v hull I think you could be disappointed with the wake performance.
The RZR/R20 hull is an entirely new design. Its not a reworked version of an 8 year old traditional nosed 20 ft boat updated in order to be a pickle-fork bow. I don't even think the last production year of the 20V was the same hull as an 03.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-08-2011, 12:50 PM Reply   
Tamp, got your pm. Thanks

There is def no armrest on the throttle wall on either model. There is like a 3/4 inch lip but that is it. Like I said was my major concerns. Especially being behind the wheel all the time. It's weird to say the least.

almost all comp boats porpise,at some point. My 205 v will as well. Fig the taps would allow you to eliminate that tho by adjusting it down.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       12-08-2011, 4:32 PM Reply   
I would think in the long run the RZR would make you the better of the two boats.This is based on what you owned and what your looking for.I got better than what you mentioned off my RZ2.Deal,deal,deal!
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-08-2011, 5:57 PM Reply   
They recently put a z1 on the floor as well. Is that an older hull or is that also a newer designed hull in past 4 yrs. I

I have a 21 ft restriction. Its loose being that it can be 21 and change. So kind of stuck between a R20/Rzr and Z1. However that z1 cockpit w 100 inch beam was huge. No one really in the past 10 yrs ever sits in my bow. So the extra bow room isn't too big an issue........However I am sure that 100 inch beam will need @&#ton of weight
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       12-08-2011, 6:01 PM Reply   
ive seen a z1 but never ridden one, it has less freeboard but i believe the wake pumps up big with the same steep shape. you can get 2k lbs in it stock... so thats cool, and i think the price will be right around the same as an rzr.

ps after 108 hoursbehind the weel that lip is more than enough arm rest.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-08-2011, 6:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstarrider View Post
They recently put a z1 on the floor as well. Is that an older hull or is that also a newer designed hull in past 4 yrs. I

However I am sure that 100 inch beam will need @&#ton of weight
The Z1 was introduced for the 08 model year and the hull was new from the ground up.

For boarding, the 900 lb ballast produced a decent wake, but the boat needed more up front. For surfing, the Z1 is one of the best out-of-the-box surf wakes ive seen. With no ballast and only a driver and passenger, the wake was easily surfable. It responded well to ballast.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-08-2011, 7:25 PM Reply   
The z1 has a better surf wake than the RZR and R20.
Old    MChase            12-10-2011, 9:30 AM Reply   
You can get a better boat in an F21 for much less money than a Tige. Why would it even matter if there was a local dealer? You'll pay 20 thousand extra for less boat just so you can have a dealer nearby?
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-10-2011, 11:21 AM Reply   
First off an f21 is not 20k less than a Tige, don't know where u got that from but your source is way off. Apparently MB is the new Sanger/wakecraft/Epic/Axis boat bandwagon of the year. As stated not an option.

Ever tried to get warranty work covered by a non mfg dealer, good luck. Ever to try to get your boat serviced from another mfg dealer? Guess what u get bumped to end of line, There are huge benefits supporting your local shops, My dealer takes care of me big time, discounts on gear, gets my boat done prpronto. Goes the extra mileo to get things warrantied. Trust me I have been the guy without a local dealer a while back with a boat that needed warranty work. The company made me drive 400 miles to the nearest dealer for the work to be done by an authorized dealer. nothing but nightmare for and my family. The,water time lost was a ton. We all know the time will come for some kind of warranty work.

I like being involved in the sport. I usually end up driving boats for demo days and comps for my dealers I have bought boats from or been affiliated with. Just like getting to the events and helping people out. Owning a boat you can buy in area, and fet people to experience with an opportunity to buy has appeal to me. Owning a boat noone will ever be able to purchase or have no oportunity to pick up has zero appeal to me.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-10-2011, 11:02 PM Reply   
Swatguy, you should really put the mb f21 on the top of your list. Its hands down the best boat on the market. The big three used to be at the top of the wakeboat pyramid, but now its just the big one= mb. It has the best wake, best ballast system, best graphix, best vinyl design, best tower, best surf wave, best handling, best turning, best dash layout and drivers helm, and the engine runs on hope and dreams. Also the ballast fills in less than 60 seconds. Fun fact u may not know, mb has the best quality control and manufacturing process, so ur boat will never need servicing or repair, which means you do not have to worry about the far away dealer.

I really wish that all manufacturers would stop making their over priced crappy boats and just make f21s and f23s instead... that way uninformed consumers such as yourself who obviously didnt do their homework and have no idea what they want in a boat would stop making mistakes such as buying anything other than an MB. And then guys like mchase, bless his little mb heart, would stop hijacking every thread pushing his mb propaganda on us. But i digress, best part is they have sweet tribal graphix that match all my high school football players tribal arm band tatoos...
Old    9Drozd            12-10-2011, 11:21 PM Reply   
FYI the whole wake industry is Personal Preference. There is absolutely no boat/board/whatever, better than the other. It all boils down to personal preference, as in what works best for you. If his local dealer is a Tige' dealer and that dealership has a great reputation, by all mean go for it. The OP asked about the characteristics of the two said boats, not about another brand of boats.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       12-11-2011, 10:03 PM Reply   
Yea chase your way off here in this thread. im all about brands like MB, Tige, axis,and Supra/moomba bringing more and more value to the market with all the gadgetsand style of the big boys with a more bang for your buck kind of price but the shameless whoring can only go on for so many threads. besides if you think an MB compared to a tige price is 20k youre miles off, my dealer let go a well loaded z1 for about 58k last season right on par with most f21s and a22s...
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-12-2011, 11:20 AM Reply   
Simple, let me explain something to u that only mb guys seem to understand: yes the z1 was loaded in the 50s, like an f21, yes it is 21' like the f21, yes it has 2000 lbs of ballast like the f21 (albeit with an inferior fill/empty system) and yes it has speed control, tandem trailer, high quality vinyl and interior, and a wake plate that both helps with planning but also shapes the wake and wave... the only problem is that the z1 is NOT an MB like the f21 is, its a TIGE. Who wants to pay the same money of an MB for a boat that is not an MB?

Get it now? Cuz i dont.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       12-12-2011, 11:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_defacto View Post
Simple, let me explain something to u that only mb guys seem to understand: yes the z1 was loaded in the 50s, like an f21, yes it is 21' like the f21, yes it has 2000 lbs of ballast like the f21 (albeit with an inferior fill/empty system) and yes it has speed control, tandem trailer, high quality vinyl and interior, and a wake plate that both helps with planning but also shapes the wake and wave... the only problem is that the z1 is NOT an MB like the f21 is, its a TIGE. Who wants to pay the same money of an MB for a boat that is not an MB?

Get it now? Cuz i dont.
It's just someone that's stoked on what they own.I'm sure you realize i can relate to that.Ring Ring
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-12-2011, 1:53 PM Reply   
Lol robert... im glad u have a good sense of humor about it. Mchase says he doesnt even own an mb, says he has a 230. So no, hes not genuinly stoked on something he owns, just stoked on his paycheck from "mb boats" just kidding. But seriously, i would not doubt it
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       12-12-2011, 2:32 PM Reply   
my simple mind does not understand.