Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Luger)      Join Date: Jun 2015       06-08-2015, 12:36 PM Reply   
I have a 2008 Calabria cal air direct drive, steering easy one way the other very difficult ??? Any ideas???
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-08-2015, 10:45 PM Reply   
The rudder may be tuned for running a slalom course. The shape is changed slightly to preload the rudder with tension one direction to keep the boat steady through the pylons.
The other possibility id that the rudder is bent or that the tracking fins might be bent.

When the boat is stopped is the steering easy both directions?
Old     (Luger)      Join Date: Jun 2015       06-09-2015, 10:48 AM Reply   
yes, seems fine
Old     (Luger)      Join Date: Jun 2015       06-09-2015, 10:53 AM Reply   
can i correct this???
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       06-09-2015, 11:36 AM Reply   
..its the cable going out.... The rudder is a assisted by the prop wash in one direction making it easy in one direction
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-09-2015, 11:48 AM Reply   
Cable. When the grease inside starts to get sludgy, it's usually easier for the helm to "pull the cable" (one steering direction) rather than "push" it (the other direction).
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-09-2015, 12:36 PM Reply   
buy a new cable
Old     (Luger)      Join Date: Jun 2015       06-09-2015, 9:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luger View Post
I have a 2008 Calabria cal air direct drive, steering easy one way the other very difficult ??? Any ideas???
Thanks , getting new cable
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-09-2015, 9:40 PM Reply   
If the rudder is 'tuned' to preload the steering you might see an adjustable tab on the rudder or you might see grinding marks on one side at the back.
To tune a rudder you take off some material off the back of the rudder on one side. Normally the rudder on a wake boat is fairly square on the trailing edge. If you take material off the port side at the back of the rudder the water flow past it pulls the back of the rudder to the port side and your boat turns more easily to port and is harder to starboard. You have to do this in small increments as it is much harder to add material to a rudder than it is to remove it.
My Sanger can be steered with one finger at any speed, in either direction. It's got a stock rudder and that's how they decided to build their boats. My rudder is also offset from the centerline of the driveshaft intentionally. Not all manufacturers to that.

When you are cruising, on plane, does the boat steer itself to one side? That could be the rudder tuned or bent, or the tracking fins bent.
If it runs straight but the steering is stiff one way but light the other it could be a cable issue. The difference should not be huge. There is no difference on mine with over 400 hours. A cable can definitely make a difference. Bent parts can be hard to notice. It could also be the bushings on the rudder that become harder to move one way than another when they are loaded.

Just keep trying to find when it happens and when it doesn't.