Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (brithunsicker)      Join Date: Jan 2014       02-08-2014, 5:40 PM Reply   
Trying to decide on which thickness I should get for a wet suit. Of course being warm is what I want, but I don't want to sacrifice movement abilities. I'm trying to decide between the 4mm/3mm wet suit compared to the 3mm/2mm wet suit. Most of my buddies ride with 3mm/2mm suits, but I figure I may as well get the 4mm/3mm if I can still have the same movement.

Let me know what you guys think, from experience or hear say.

Thanks in advance!
Old     (Boonejeepin)      Join Date: Oct 2012       02-08-2014, 6:12 PM Reply   
I wear an ONeil 4/3 and I stay very warm. No real complaints about movement.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       02-08-2014, 6:17 PM Reply   
if you tend to be a cold puppy, get the 4/3...
Old     (brithunsicker)      Join Date: Jan 2014       02-08-2014, 6:27 PM Reply   
You guys don't have any movement issues? I have been in both a 3/2 and a 5/6. 5/6 was definitely warm but horrible on movement. No real complaints with the 3/2 on movement, but would like to get the 4/3 if movement is good.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       02-08-2014, 8:25 PM Reply   
A 5/4/3 is also a good choice.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/QUIKSILVER-S...item5d45f7874d
Old     (brithunsicker)      Join Date: Jan 2014       02-08-2014, 8:42 PM Reply   
Thanks for the input guys. I ended up going with a 4/3 Quicksilver syncro suit. And was luckily able to find it in a Medium Tall, on back order, but no hurry all the lakes here are frozen ha ha. It's tough to buy a wet suit and get a good fit when I am 6'1 and weight 145 lbs. Hoping for a good fit though when I get it!
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-09-2014, 12:06 PM Reply   
You might want to check the size chart....being 6'1" you might have a hard time getting into a medium tall. It's better to error on the side of a little big over a little small. Go by the height chart over the weight chart.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       02-09-2014, 12:11 PM Reply   
I wear a 2mm shorty at the beginning and end of the season. I find I have decent mobility in it, but I can definitely tell my movement is restricted compared to going sans suit. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable or enjoy myself in anything thicker.
If it's too cold for a 2mm (I go into 49 degree water in that just fine, even though it is brisk) , you probably want a dry suit anyway.
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-10-2014, 6:44 AM Reply   
For wakeboarding, I think the type of material is almost more important than thickness. Smoothskin keeps out the wind much better than regular neoprene. You definitely want smoothskin on the chest.
Old     (brithunsicker)      Join Date: Jan 2014       02-10-2014, 2:33 PM Reply   
Thanks guys, I think the medium tall will fit good because the height was right and I was still under the wight category too. Plus all my chest and hip and waist measurements were almost perfect if not a little smaller. It's a smooth skin chest. I've had multiple people tell me the new suits are so stretchy now that the movement isn't much of a problem. Dry suits are too expensive and seals go bad every few years if not used enough or stored properly. I ski in low 40 degree water with a wet suit so that's a main reason I went with the 4mm/3mm.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-10-2014, 3:57 PM Reply   
I have the 4/3 Oneill Psycho 3, and love it. No movement issues for me. I feel just as flexible in it as I do in my 3/2 Oneill.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       02-10-2014, 4:09 PM Reply   
Oneil Psycho 4/3 here and don't find it overly restrictive. You obviously know you're wearing it but I don't feel like it gets in the way or bothers me. Keeps me warm enough even in low 40s water it has been fine and takes a pretty hard spill to get any water inside. I'm 6'4" and 190 lbs and the Large Tall fits me well. In warmer water high 50s low 60s it can be a little too warm at times or back in the boat if it's a warm day but colder water. I may get a cheap shorty suit eventually for when a full 4/3 is a bit much and a heater top doesn't quite cut it. No regrets on going 4/3 though, easier to peel the top part off in the boat or let a little water in if I'm hot than it is to warm up if I'm cold.
Old     (BenHolloway)      Join Date: Aug 2012       02-10-2014, 4:26 PM Reply   
Material makes all the difference in the world, cheaper wetsuits usually mean cheaper materials and construction. The more high end wetsuits are 100% stretch, and the panels are designed for maximum mobility. Look into wind/kite suits as well because they tend to allow better motion in the arms and are made mostly of smooth skin and that's a huge help when you are out of the water as it tends to cut down on the "evaporative cooling effect" The only thing to be cautious of is smoothskin is more fragile.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-11-2014, 1:21 AM Reply   
Brit,

I've gone as low as 45 deg in my suit, same one as you just bought Syncro 4/3 GBS. Was fine but wore 2mm neo socks in my boots cause my feet were aching from the cold. It was 70 deg that December day in 2012 so that helps too.... You know I carry a bit more natural insulation that you do, we'll see how it works come March unless it snows unitl May like last year in KS/MO.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       02-11-2014, 7:04 AM Reply   
I rock a 3/2 XCEL. Good for early spring and fall riding here in New England, I run it when water or air temps are in the 50s and I'm always perfectly warm after that initial but of water seeps in
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       02-12-2014, 5:40 AM Reply   
I use a 3/2 excel too. Picked it up for 30 bucks last year at evo.co. they run some crazy good deals over there sometimes.