Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 11, 2004

Old     (02byerly132)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-04-2004, 10:05 AM Reply   
My buddy and I are wanting to start our own boardstore. We are wanting to start online and from there move into a local location. However we are unsure about how many boards online shops and local shops sell a year. Also do dealers normally get 30% off the msrp of the boards? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-04-2004, 10:48 AM Reply   
I would contact a company and see how you be come a dealer through them, so just check some sites, also you can email some online boardshops and tell them your intentions, I duno if they would help, but they all seem like nice people.

Good luck!!
Old     (ktm250)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-05-2004, 6:36 AM Reply   
Do you really believe that this is the forum to do your due diligence and form a business plan with? How many honest answers do you plan on receiving from your competition that already advertises here?
Old    tattoobling            01-05-2004, 6:49 AM Reply   
my buddy owns a board shop. Apparently, he gets 93% off of msrp, there are no minimum orders from the factory and they ship to him for free. When he started the shop he wasn't really concerned with how many boards he'd sell a year. He just went ahead and ordered a couple hundred because the factory said they'd take back whatever he couldn't sell and give him full credit (and pay for the shipping). Advertizing wasn't a problem, he just registered the shop name with google and the orders came piling in. Inventory control was also a piece of cake. He just kept on hand the most popular selling boards and whatever he didn't have he just one-orders from the factory, 'cause they always get him what he needs in one or two days. Start up money and credit was also a breeze. His suppliers just told him "pay us when you sell it, or when you get the chance and send back whatever you have left at the end of the year".

Oh, by the way, he did ALL his research on the internet, because that's where you'll always find the truth. Good luck!
Old     (02byerly132)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-05-2004, 8:14 AM Reply   
Kaiser Soze... where is your buddys store located and what boards does he sell? that is really contrary to what I've heard.. but who knows..

Zedz... I have already done a lot of planning on my own with figuring out finances and everything. But I don't think I'd really make a dent in the market. I'm not too worried about the business end because both of our parents own businesses and can help us out with the process. I'm just wanting to know about the sales and how much the dealer gets off the original price to know how long before we can open full functionally.

Thanks for your help so far. Any more help would be appreciated.
Old    xrated            01-05-2004, 8:15 AM Reply   
Lmfao at what ^ said
Old    jzwake            01-05-2004, 9:40 AM Reply   
the boards are bought in most cases at closer to 45% off msrp if the dealer purchases a big enough order. Then they sell for at least %10 less then MSRP. Most mark ups on soft items and other stuff that aren't the boards or boots is %100.

Most companies will only do biz with you IF you buy enough product.

Old     (easyrider)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-05-2004, 10:00 AM Reply   
hahahah Kaiser Soze...that was awesome
Old     (switch)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-05-2004, 10:22 AM Reply   
I agree with easyrider, thats off the chart Kaiser.
Old     (02byerly132)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-05-2004, 11:25 AM Reply   
Yea, Kaise you got me.. I feel very stupid.. However, thanks for your help.
Old     (switch)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-05-2004, 11:27 AM Reply   
Reaves, Just take everything that you read on this and any other forum with a grain of salt. I wish it was a easy as Kaiser said.
Old     (02byerly132)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-05-2004, 12:55 PM Reply   
Whirly -- yes so do I, so do I.
Old    tattoobling            01-05-2004, 4:03 PM Reply   
Reaves,

Hey man, wasn't trying to make you feel stupid or anything, just using overwhelming sarcasm to illustrate two points:

1. Researching your subject here is fine, but you're gonna hear all sorts of stuff and it'll be tough to filter out fact and fiction.

2. From what I know about it, everything is totally opposite to what I said.