Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Cam3sc)      Join Date: Aug 2015       09-05-2015, 10:06 PM Reply   
Looking at purchasing a 2016 Tige Z1 this winter and I am concerned if my truck can handle the weight. I drive a 2015 Chevrolet Colorado with a towing Capacity at 7,000lbs. The trip to the lake is roughly 30 minutes but I also use my truck for work so I don't want to have tranny problems down the road. Dry weight of the boat is 4450lb and with trailer I think it should be around 5,750lbs(Without Accessories). Can my little truck handle it fully loaded down with gear and gas? Thanks

Last edited by Cam3sc; 09-05-2015 at 10:12 PM. Reason: oops
Old     (BlazeSr)      Join Date: Dec 2012       09-05-2015, 10:44 PM Reply   
Looks like your within the numbers. It will do it, not sure how well or fast. Maybe add a tranny cooler. I'd just do it a few times and you will see how comfortable you are. That said I assume there are no hills, cuz if that's the case then I'd be more hesitant.

Last edited by BlazeSr; 09-05-2015 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       09-06-2015, 4:50 AM Reply   
Check the numbers again - is 7000lbs considered max with a weight distributing hitch?

Realistically, I'd say you're fine. But that all depends on what you expect. Expect to be towing a full size boat with a midsized truck - go slow, expect to feel it back there. Give yourself plenty of room to make moves while cruising.
Old     (That_Guy)      Join Date: Aug 2015 Location: Central Ohio       09-06-2015, 7:03 AM Reply   
That 7000lb number is likely max towing capacity when properly equipped. Is yours properly equipped? Such as big engine, tow package, etc? Not familiar with Colorado's but you should look at your door sticker to find out payload as well because that accounts for all weight IN your vehicle, like people, and the tongue weight of whatever you are towing. You can also look at your hitch for a sticker showing what it's rated for.
Old     (onetogofast)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-06-2015, 7:21 AM Reply   
If it has the tow package I would upgrade the transmission cooler and tow it!!! I'm over weight a lot of times when towing stuff and as long as you cruise at a saver slower speed and take precautions along the way you'll be safe. It's the people that pass you with a Colorado and a G25 at 90 you need to watch out for lol
Old     (Cam3sc)      Join Date: Aug 2015       09-06-2015, 8:59 AM Reply   
It does have the max towing package. My truck has the biggest engine and also 4x4. Just don't want to wear it out prematurely. Thank you for all the replies.
Old     (Cam3sc)      Join Date: Aug 2015       09-06-2015, 9:39 AM Reply   
Went and looked at trailer hitch on truck and says max tow capacity is 7500 and max tongue weight is 950
Old     (dilpickle)      Join Date: Aug 2013       09-06-2015, 11:19 AM Reply   
The other question I would have is regarding altitude. How high are you? If you are pretty close to sea level, you should be fine, but I wouldn't tow my Z1 with a Colorado very many times at the 5,000 ft of elevation I live at.

Overall, I think you'll be fine but after time, you'll end up looking for a heavier truck.
Old     (Cam3sc)      Join Date: Aug 2015       09-06-2015, 12:28 PM Reply   
I live in Augusta Ga so not to far about sea level. I had owned skis but I am just skeptical of how my truck will handle it especially at the ramp.
Old     (dilpickle)      Join Date: Aug 2013       09-06-2015, 7:53 PM Reply   
In that case, you'll be fine. Take your time & I would suggest using 4 wheel drive on the ramp. Just make sure to sit back in 2 wheel before hitting the highway.
Old     (CHUCK_K)      Join Date: Aug 2015       09-06-2015, 9:39 PM Reply   
I'd like to add to all the good comments. I agreed that your truck should be fine pulling the boat.

Towing isn't about how much can I pull, but more about how much can I stop. Current trucks can pull a lot of weight, but the stopping part is also an issue to deal with. Keep plenty of distance and watch for downgrade speed. Good luck.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-07-2015, 5:51 AM Reply   
Just get a tandem axle trailer with dual surge brakes and you'll have adequate stopping power.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-07-2015, 8:36 AM Reply   
Towed many a Z-1 with my Siverado 1500 with 5.3 when I worked for the dealership. I wouldn't want to tow one with anything less. Your gonna know its back there ALOT. If your just 30 minutes each way you should be OK. Drive slow and give yourself lots of stopping distance. I've never driven a Colorado, but given how a 1/2 ton Silverado pulled then I am going to say it will over power your truck regardless of what your claimed towing capacity is. Considering an RZR is 5200 on a tandem empty, your Z-1 is gonna be north of 6,000 full of gas and gear on the way to the lake.