Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2009

Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-01-2009, 12:58 PM Reply   
Yesterday a great friend of mine and riding partner (Mike Powell, who many in the norcal area likely know) took a hard crash behind my boat hurting his knee. Good luck Mike, my prayers are out for a good MRI and a quick recovery, we want you back buddy!

Which leads me to a first aid equipment question...

Yesterday quickly taught me that I needed to add a pair of Paramedics shears to my first aid kit on the boat. I bought those today at lunch and they are going to be added tonight to the "kit". I would highly suggest everyone invest in a pair of these shears for any potential future binding removal. Nothing is worse than trying to get an injured bro out of a pair of binders and not having the proper equipment to make it as painless as possible. FWIW We got him out relatively pain free but there is always room for improvement. I would have liked to have been able to completely cut the binding in half.

With that said... are there any unique or specialized tools or first aid equipment you keep in your boat? I want to make sure I am better prepared for any future accidents.
Old    K.B.C.            06-01-2009, 1:20 PM Reply   
sending the mojo, good luck!
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-01-2009, 2:38 PM Reply   
Bummer, hope he gets good news and it's not a major injury!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       06-01-2009, 3:32 PM Reply   
M-Dizzle

I hear you on the shears man, I had to pull a board off a buddies leg with a broken Femur (it looked like he had a second knee), it was one of the worst experiences of my life. In Minnesota you dont need a third so it was just me, my homie, and his broken leg. It was brutal getting the binding off, he was stuck half in and half out of his binding screamming, "just pull it the f- off!!!!" I had to dive in not knowing what his issue was, grab his board only to have him turn white in pain. Then I realized he suddenly had two knees on his right leg. Eventually I got the board off and him on the swim deck, thank god for cell phones, the paramedics were on my dock waiting for us.

On the flip side, there is nothing I hate more than waiting on MRI results!!!!! I am going to send good mojo form MN!!!
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-01-2009, 3:41 PM Reply   
Yah, that's what I am hoping for Andrea.

Agreed Andy, the thing I have learned from traumatic experiences is that staying calm and relaxed often pays off in huge dividends when injuries happen. Being methodical, and decisive seems to work pretty well...although there are always going to be hectic times where things need to be done quickly.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-01-2009, 3:44 PM Reply   
a few card-board splints, of different sizes. they are very cheap, and with shears and tape, quick and easy to put on.

also cold/ice packs, they are cheap too.
Old     (jimr)      Join Date: Sep 2001       06-04-2009, 6:02 AM Reply   
Uhoh, I can feel a repost of the broken leg in byerly bindings coming on.

Andy, it sounds like experienced one of my nightmares.
Old     (cheeseman)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-04-2009, 8:25 AM Reply   
Mike, I hope it was just a bad strain. You where riding real well.

Chuck
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-04-2009, 9:11 AM Reply   
SAM Splints have been around for years. Compact & easy to use.
http://www.sammedical.com/
Just be careful about those paramedic shears - the best ones are made in Germany ( you cut pennies with them and they will still stay sharp) The ones from Pakistan or India are horrible.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-04-2009, 10:47 AM Reply   
Thanks Phantom, I remember having seen those splints before but had completely forgotten about them. I will put an order in for two of those as well.

Yah, I am relatively certain I got a decent pair as they were true stainless steel and picked up at a reputable surgical supply center here in San Jose. They also mentioned something about cutting a penny with them.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-04-2009, 12:21 PM Reply   
Bummer... Mike was riding really well this year. Good luck bud. Hopefully it's a quick recovery.

I always carry a leatherman with me. At the start of the summer it goes into my backpack with all my wake gear. The screw driver gets used all the time, but the really sharp knife works great to cut a binding of, right Al?

We also have a pretty solid first aid kit on the boat. It's been used a lot.
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-04-2009, 12:45 PM Reply   
Yep, That leather man will make quick work of a binding, And Evan is like surgeon with it. After years of riding with our crew I feel like I ride with some of the best "ON CALL" doctors around. Can't even count how many times Evan has pulled me out of the water Let alone Jarrod and Billy too!

Good luck Mike, I go in to get cut on,June 17th yet another summer up in smoke. (maybe)
Old     (deltaratmike)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-06-2009, 12:40 PM Reply   
Al- good luck to you to brotha hope it goes smooth

Chuck- Me too i really hope it is. it doesnt hurt as bad as the day it happened so hopefully it wont be bad.

Andrea- Thank you :-) i got my fingers crossed for your knee to get better asap!!

Matt- Dude i cant thank you enough bro. from me getting knocked out to my knee to every injury serious or minor i have gone through behind that thing that throws out one of the biggest wakes ever, im glad it happens when ur driving cuz i know you will do your best everytime to get me out safe. thanks again brother for everything.

and everyone else, thanks as well. MRI long awaited on wednesday at 10:45
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-06-2009, 1:29 PM Reply   
I've only had to do that once & I just unscrewed the binding from the board to avoid potentially injuring the person further. I wrapped a towel around it and tried to keep them comfortable. I didn't have a long ride to get professional help to remove it though!

Wishing good thoughts for Mike too!
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-09-2009, 9:57 PM Reply   
Here's a bump since tomorrow's the big day...Good luck Mike!
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-10-2009, 12:05 AM Reply   
good luck mike.
I hope you are able to get on the water soon. But your boat driving skills are much appreciated for the time being.
Old    walt            06-10-2009, 5:45 AM Reply   
Get well soon Mike.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-10-2009, 8:25 AM Reply   
Good luck today, bud. Let us know how it goes.
Old     (deltaratmike)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-10-2009, 12:18 PM Reply   
just got home from the doctors and i got 4 more weeks on crutches!!! He said it was a sprain and it will heal on its own!!! im so stoked right now guys thanks for everything and i cant wait to get back out on a board. until then call me up so i can be ur driver!! ahahah
Old     (dmc_napa)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-10-2009, 12:43 PM Reply   
Mike - I heard about your unfortunate accident - You really have got to stop hurting yourself. The arm in the handle - blowing out your bindings on a wicked crash and now the knee?

On a serious note, I do hope you are well before our August 1 & 2 INT back up north.

Good luck on a speedy recovery.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-10-2009, 12:54 PM Reply   
Awwww, shizzle Its a CELEBRATION!!!!! No Surgery! 4 weeks is nothin man! Congrats, you cant tell but I am dancing in my work cube right now.
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-10-2009, 1:02 PM Reply   
Awesome, glad to hear!! Looks like we'll be back to riding around the same time, we'll have to meet up through MDizzle and ride to celebrate.