Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-31-2012, 1:32 PM Reply   
Has 144db been beaten?

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/m...tml?1180418488
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-31-2012, 2:25 PM Reply   
I wanna say yes there was a contest some years ago at Spring Ride where they did an interior SPL at the drivers seat and they did a drive by one too. IIRC people thought the interior SPL was wack for some reason. I think it was the year that green and white Malibu with 8 ARC Audio Flatlines showed up.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-01-2012, 12:14 AM Reply   
Nothing against Mike's system but the test was not really scientific enough to be valid. Sound intensity drops as a function of the distance from the source, there was no specified distance for the microphone from the sub. I did mine at 2' from my single 12" sub in a sealed box and measured 132db that day. If I would have placed it within 6" of the sub I probably would have pushed a number higher than "the record". Listening to all of the systems that day I also found little correlation between the measured SPL and pervieved bass intensity from the near proximity.

After experiencing the test, I suggested they modify the test to having the mic mounted in the center of the passenger compartment at a standard distance of 1 meter from the floor. The guy running said that sounded like a good idea but they were not that concerned about it being a controlled test. It was "just for fun" not a real competition in his words. He runs the local IASCA test so I would expect him to know better.

Last edited by mikeski; 06-01-2012 at 12:17 AM.