Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (bpenosa1)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-29-2010, 6:02 PM Reply   
Any news on when these will be shipping? The Wetsounds site says april 2010 and I have been waiting to redo my system so i could check these out but its almost time for our first trip of the season and I'm wanting to get this stereo done. Anybody have any info
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-29-2010, 8:16 PM Reply   
Brian,

Very soon. Shoot me an email so I have your info and I will hit you up the moment we are shipping them

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-30-2010, 2:59 PM Reply   
Brian,

Got a update for you. Wed of next week!!

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (highrock)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-30-2010, 8:09 PM Reply   
What are the cost of these new speakers?
Old     (boomboom)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-30-2010, 8:11 PM Reply   
details damn it!!!!!!!
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-01-2010, 4:53 AM Reply   
Are the new 6x9s made to replace the stock tower speakers on the newer Nautiques?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-01-2010, 5:57 PM Reply   
Cost = $599 a pair (drivers only)

Details - Not much on the Wet Sounds website yet, but there was a thread here as well as Tigeowners.com with some info from Tim.

They should drop right into your stock Nautique 6x9 cans, but will need more power then the stock amp.
Old     (bpenosa1)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-01-2010, 9:13 PM Reply   
Thanks Tim. I got the credit card all warmed up lol. Now i just need some details and some specs. any info?
Old     (highrock)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-02-2010, 7:17 AM Reply   
$599????

Thats a lot higher then I wanted to hear.
Old     (boomboom)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-02-2010, 7:55 AM Reply   
$599 is way too high for 6X9's. That's the same price as a Syn 4. I'm not a speakerologist, so maybe it does cost a lot to make a 6X9--just can't see it being as high as an amp.
The next most expensive 6X9s I could find were Bostons at 334.99 (msrp). Why are the WS almost double the price? I won't buy them at that price--and I'm typically pretty unwise with my spending when it comes to WS equipment. lol

Oh well, the wife will be happy. She was whining last night when I told her I want some to make the boat louder in the cabin area.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-02-2010, 8:27 AM Reply   
Sorry, there seems to be some confusion on the 6x9. The speaker is called the PRO 696 RS. It is our Pro-Axial HLCD driver. So it is not a conventional 6x9 for in boat use. It is a raw speaker designed for tower use.

They ship as a pair with sealed crossovers that are designed to piggy back on the rear of the driver but can also be removed and mounted inside a can if the depth is not there. They also come with grilles.

These are designed for tower speaker applications to work in factory 6x9 enclosures or those with a fiberglass tower box made for 6x9's.

I will get the full details up this week and pictures of them. Here is the pic that is up on our site so you can get an idea.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Attached Images

Old     (jacobs0222i)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-02-2010, 9:20 AM Reply   
599 sounds ok now.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-02-2010, 9:49 AM Reply   
Thats killer! Very cool idea Tim. I'm very interested to see how these turn out and sound. The nice thing about 6x9's is that you get really good surface area for mid bass reproduction but a reduced hang height off the tower. Now you can get a nice Liquid Trends box and 4 or 6 of these for a good price.
Old     (Matt)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-02-2010, 10:16 AM Reply   
Tim, you gonna make some enclosure option for these? I could really use about 3 on my tower with the 485s
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-02-2010, 10:29 AM Reply   
Do 6x9's have a smaller or larger surface area then an 8"?
Old     (highrock)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-02-2010, 7:46 PM Reply   
I was hoping they would run more in the $400 range. I know its not a HLCD speaker but I bought Titan Alpha II's with the Nautique Logo for $400.
Old     (boomboom)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-02-2010, 7:52 PM Reply   
Well that helps justify the price a bit I guess. Sure takes a crap on my excitement to put them in the boat though. lol

Well now you have your NEXT project then--in boat 6x9's !!!!!!! For less than $599 a pair. ;-)
Old     (dingleberry)      Join Date: Apr 2009       05-02-2010, 8:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by highrock View Post
I was hoping they would run more in the $400 range. I know its not a HLCD speaker but I bought Titan Alpha II's with the Nautique Logo for $400.
highrock - read Tim's post up above. It is an HLCD system, which makes the price understandable.
Old     (dingleberry)      Join Date: Apr 2009       05-02-2010, 8:34 PM Reply   
Sorry, highrock, I misunderstood your post. Is there a way to delete my previous post?
Old     (jacobs0222i)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-02-2010, 8:37 PM Reply   
I bet they would sound halfway between the pro 60 and pro 80 but how much difference does the enclosure make for HLCD's?
Old     (highrock)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-03-2010, 5:43 AM Reply   
I fully understand it is an HLCD speaker. All I am saying is that for not much more you can get a set of Pro 60's or even Pro 80's that already have an enclosure. I personally think the speakers are overpriced anyway, but as long as people buy them thats fine. I just wont be getting any of them.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-03-2010, 8:39 AM Reply   
cone surface area on a 6x9 is more than a 6.5 inch but less than a 8 inch. So they fit in the middle between a 60 and 80 in terms of output. These are very musical speakers and have really tight punchy mid bass.

We do not have plans to have a complete speaker with pods this year. We do have pod designs and protos done but our product road map has some other items higher up on the list.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old    SamIngram            05-03-2010, 9:02 AM Reply   
I have an old enclosure that Squid made for me years ago. It holds 4 6x9's and currently has 4 Pioneer TS-D691R's, powered by an Alpine PDX4.150. I have had them for about 3 years and have finally torn one of the speakers. Would it make sense to run one set of the Wet Sounds 6x9's for projection and another set of either three or four way speakers for more sound spectrum in the same enclosure? I understand that I would have to get additional power for the Wet Sounds, but currently each speaker on the tower is wired to its own channel anyhow, so the wiring is already there. Would the Wet Sounds 6x9's fit in my current enclosure?

This is basically what my enclosure looks like:
Old     (kvoman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-03-2010, 9:13 AM Reply   
Tim -

I have a very similar enclosure to the above pic. from Pro-Flight and have 4 Polk Momos in them now. If I replace one pair with the new Pro 696 RS, which location would be best, center or outside?

Will you have specs soon on these? Would you seal the enclosure air tight with these or could these be in an enclosure that's not necessarily air tight?
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-03-2010, 9:14 AM Reply   
I am not sure how it would work mixing them but I know of some guys that have been waiting for them and are going to do the same. "G" is re doing his enzo box and going to be running 4 of the PRO 696 RS firing back for the rider with regular 6x9 firing down. All sharing the same enclosure.

I would put them on the outsides to gain some more broad coverage for the rider. I would also try to seal up the enclosure as much as possible.

I will be getting full specs with mounting depth up so you can measure and see.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (kvoman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-03-2010, 9:32 AM Reply   
Thanks Tim. I'd love to get 2 pairs but don't think the budget is quite there! Do let us know when the specs and speakers are available. I think you'll hit another niche with this product.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-03-2010, 5:31 PM Reply   
Holy crap G's going to HLCD's

I was steered away from mixing Pro Audio and conventional audio by a couple of the gurus on here. I guess its very tough to match them musically when they are on the same sound field.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-06-2010, 12:07 PM Reply   
kvoman, In respect to Hate's comments, you could replace one pair as a temporary measure but eventually you'll want to convert to 100 percent WetSounds HLCDs. Here's why:

Amplifier power, especially in a boat, is too valuable to waste. And a conventional speaker will not keep pace with an HLCD since there will be a huge output difference. So, are you going to dial down the HLCD so it doesn't dominate or overdrive the conventional speaker in forcing it to keep up? In one case the better speaker is under-utilized while in the other case you'll blow a speaker.

When two identical speakers, equally powered, are summed you expect to get a 3 dB increase. However, if the second speaker lags by 6dB for example, then you'll only gain less than 1dB of additional output. For all that investment the secondary speaker will basically be sonically invisible as an increase of less then 1dB may not be detectable.

If you're trying to mix a sound quality speaker (smooth response) with a speaker built for maximum projection (HLCD) to moderate the HLCD, your perception will be formed by the peaks of the dominant speaker. You'd be far more productive using an equalizer.

This is why I don't recommend mixing dissimilar speakers on the tower, whether you're mixing HLCDs with conventional speakers or mixing 6 1/2" HLCDs with 8" HLCDs if they're expected to reproduce the same range.

There are exceptions. A Double-Up uses different speakers over different ranges for the purpose of sound shaping. While it won't compete in efficient use of power and speaker in obtaining maximum output that isn't the objective. Or, someone may use different speakers aimed outside the wake to broaden the dispersion pattern. The on-axis amplitude may not increase at all but that wasn't the intention.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-06-2010, 12:15 PM Reply   
Wow, you know you have the absolute best speaker on the market when "G" is going to buy them. I also heard that L, M, N, O and P were in the market for Wetsounds as well!!!

I am sure that i am going to get flamed for this post, BUT I LOVE WETSOUNDS!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by murphy_smith; 05-06-2010 at 12:15 PM. Reason: sp
Old     (kvoman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-06-2010, 2:00 PM Reply   
David - I agree, eventually replace all. If I can get one set now, may be another set in the future, next tax refund, don't know... It's a budget issue for me, I have 4 MOMOs in the pod so have to leave one set of MOMOs in, otherwise, I'll have two huge openings in the pod.

I'll probably have to turn down the input/gain to the remaining set of MOMOs so it doesn't distort or disconnect altogether if doesn't work out but it would really be a good comparison between the two types though.
Old     (soundbox)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-06-2010, 3:12 PM Reply   
I believe the magic number is 7 3/4" mounting depth. Measure your cans and boxes and get ready. Just keep in mind that these will NOT work in the paper thin fiberglass enclosures without making some very nasty sounds or breaking apart.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-06-2010, 4:08 PM Reply   
We just got finished shooting some pics. But have not had a chance to photoshop out the backgrounds. But this will get you started.

The mounting depth is

6.75 inches with the integrated crossover piggy backed to the compression driver
or
5.50 inches with the crossover removed and mounted elsewhere in the housing.

We designed it to be an easy drop in without the need to mount a crossover for the larger boxes but also have the ability to have less mounting depth for the standard cans etc..

These are a solid 150 watts RMS/300 watts peak. But like everything we do, built like a tank. So a SYN-2 on a pair or two is perfect. They include the grille which is an updated version of our signature grille in silver metallic. Same color as the XS-650 coaxs.

These are a very smooth sounding HLCD. So not only loud but tight and clean.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Attached Images

Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-06-2010, 5:24 PM Reply   
Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-06-2010, 5:32 PM Reply   
Sweet!!!
Old     (kvoman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-07-2010, 8:18 AM Reply   
Tim - What's the dia. of the crossover? I'm going to remove my speakers to check the measurements tomorrow. I think I have the depth but not sure about the width to fit the crossover if connected.

If the crossover is removed, does it have to be glued/epoxied down tightly? How long are the wires from the crossover in case it needs to be mounted a little farther? What is the weight of these speakers?
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-07-2010, 10:08 AM Reply   
I just spoke with Justin, and these will be available to the dealers by Wednesday of next week. He said they're pretty close to the sound of a Pro80.....
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-07-2010, 11:48 AM Reply   
Kvo,

ill get info when i get back to the office.

Jonyb,

Justin was saying the new SW series in boat speakers will be shipping wed of next week. The SW-65-W, SW-650-W and SW-65-B and SW-650-B

The PRO 696 RS is shipping NOW!! I just have not had time to get the site updated and all the info. Too much stuff going on and too much new products coming out all at the same time.

ATV line is ready as well.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-07-2010, 3:27 PM Reply   
Sorry about that Tim, I had a brainfart. Justin didn't tell me wrong, and I completely understood him, but when I got back to the office I just went blank. Old age I guess?
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-07-2010, 4:38 PM Reply   
Tim -

What is the hang height of a box that would hold a pair of these?

Will you have the new grills available for these soon (Have have 4 Pro 60s with the new grill)?

How do you think a pair of these would sound with 2 pair Pro 60s?

Last edited by lakesurfer; 05-07-2010 at 4:41 PM.
Old     (aaudii5150)      Join Date: Jun 2009       05-10-2010, 4:09 PM Reply   
Tim

I have 4 Titan can that I'd love to put these is! When can I buy some and how do you think they'd sound?

Thanks ahead of time of any help!
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-10-2010, 4:25 PM Reply   
Perfect! My next boat will have a custom tower box with these speakers in them.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-10-2010, 4:56 PM Reply   
jkw,

The height of these with the grille is 6.65". Hang height would all depend on the enclosure. These are the only grilles we are doing right now. Output wise, they are in between the 60 and 80.

Brett,

Shipping NOW!!! 4 of these will ROCK!!!

I can't wait for someone with those crazy 8 6x9 boxes to load one up.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-10-2010, 8:32 PM Reply   
Thats what I was thinking Tim.. Would be real crazy loud in a 8 6x9 box lol I couldnt imagine.
Old     (aaudii5150)      Join Date: Jun 2009       05-11-2010, 7:26 AM Reply   
Game on!
Old     (kvoman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-11-2010, 9:53 AM Reply   
Tim - Any chance you have the dia. of the crossovers?
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-11-2010, 11:50 AM Reply   
kvo,

3.1 inches dia and 1.15 deep. You un bolt the crossover and butt connect longer wires to extend them if you need to mount it farther away. You can then glue it down or screw it down using the same holes used to bolt to the driver.

weight is 7 pounds per driver

Tim
Wet Sounds

Last edited by wetsounds1; 05-11-2010 at 11:53 AM.
Old     (kvoman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-24-2010, 7:34 AM Reply   
So I went ahead and replaced a set of MOMOs with a set of these PRO696RS. They fit in the exact same mounting holes. I mounted them to the outside so I had to remove the crossovers since my pod did not have that much room for the outside speakers. I was playing around a little yesterday with the sound but was not able to crank them up fully because I was afraid the neighbors would complain. I turned down the gain on the MOMOs a bit so they don't get overloaded. WOW, very very nice sound with just a little over 1/3 on the volume dial. I can definitely hear the difference between the MOMOs and these when I turn off the gain to each set. These really can take the power and then some!!! I'll try balancing them so the MOMOs would enhance the close-up sound stage (swimming, anchoring, etc.) and the Wet Sounds for farther back.

The MOMOs and these PRO696RS are on a Kicker ZX850.4.

Last edited by kvoman; 05-24-2010 at 7:38 AM. Reason: add pics
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-24-2010, 7:37 AM Reply   
KVO,

Nice. they look really good and even work well with the Polks as is.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (kvoman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-24-2010, 7:40 AM Reply   
Thanks Tim - yes, if the wife asks, I'll just say, they are new grills honey!!! If you like them, I can get another set of new "grills"
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-24-2010, 10:14 AM Reply   
Nice! I bet those sound great..
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-24-2010, 6:26 PM Reply   
Yeah that turned out real nice for sure. I say just get another set of grills and be done with it
Old     (dirtracer27x)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-25-2010, 10:03 AM Reply   
wish i had the dough for a set of those.pp next though i think