Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (tl7)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-30-2011, 8:26 PM Reply   
What's the best thing to use to repair a wakeboard? I have one that has a small chip on the edge where it's sealed. I'd like to silicone, fiberglass, whatever so that it doesn't spread or eventually separate enough to fill with water. What's the most effective method?

Sorry for the crappy pic.....
Attached Images

Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-30-2011, 8:35 PM Reply   
Some two part epoxy. A company used to make a wakeboard specific product that dried in the sun. Not sure if you can still get it. Forget the name right now. Someone will chime in.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-30-2011, 8:36 PM Reply   
I would go with a quick set epoxy, And let it rest for a few days. I would definitely get in contact with the company first off, and see what they have to say.

Its called sun cure, its a surfboard repair. http://suncure.com/details.html Regular epoxy will give you the same end result except you will have only a few minutes (depending on what you get) before it starts to set, where as the sun cure wont start curing until its exposed to UV.

Last edited by ilikebeaverandboats; 03-30-2011 at 8:40 PM.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-31-2011, 8:30 AM Reply   
http://www.solarez.com/

This is another UV cure product. The kind I used had fiberglass.
Whatever you decide to use the aplication should be similar.

clean the area and remove any debris
apply epoxy
take clear packing tape and tape over the epoxied area.
the tape helps you get a smoother finish and it allows you to mold the epoxy better to the shape of the board.
once cured remove the tape and go back and smooth out the repair with sand paper if needed.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       03-31-2011, 10:15 AM Reply   
Like everyone already stated you want to use epoxy to fix it.
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-31-2011, 11:15 AM Reply   
I was told to use Extra Time epoxy made from Ace hardware.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-31-2011, 11:38 AM Reply   
For something dinky like that I'd just use some superglue. You don't have enough of a chip to epoxy it. Also, wakeboards use close cell foam so it shouldn't absorb water if the rail is cracked.
Old     (dave27)      Join Date: May 2005       03-31-2011, 12:40 PM Reply   
I use superglue all the time to. It work great. (for the small chips.)
Old     (e_rock32)      Join Date: Oct 2009       03-31-2011, 12:56 PM Reply   
I use to use quick set JB weld which used to work pretty well but gives a gray color. But like everyone else says, use epoxy, its clear, bonds better and is much stronger, I wouldn't mess with fiberglass unless you could see the core, but most boards are shot at that point anyway
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-31-2011, 1:20 PM Reply   
just duct tape that bastard and go ride
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-31-2011, 4:41 PM Reply   
Home Depot carries a quick set epoxy that I've used to repair boards too. Look in the adhesives section by the paint.
Old     (MariusTitulescu)      Join Date: Dec 2015       10-14-2021, 1:19 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_airjunky View Post
Home Depot carries a quick set epoxy that I've used to repair boards too. Look in the adhesives section by the paint.
Thanks for the advice. I was able to find the set quite easily.