Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 29, 2007

Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-21-2007, 11:49 AM Reply   
Nothing worse than butter you cannot touch

Upload
Upload
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-21-2007, 11:52 AM Reply   
holy crap, get a drysuit
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       11-21-2007, 11:52 AM Reply   
I try not to look out the windows from now until there is ice on the lake. Last weekend it was windy so that made me feel good too, whitecaps and ice help, butter...makes me sick
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-21-2007, 12:47 PM Reply   
Why can that not be touched? I see no ice cubes in that drink. That puddle would be owned!
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       11-21-2007, 12:51 PM Reply   
Tackleberry,

I don't know about where is boat is located for winter storage or if he can even get to it. For me (same area in the country ) it is not the putting the boat in, or the boat tracks back in, but the re-winterizing and taking out of the tracks that I am not a fan of. The dry suit helps, but until you get an ice cream headache riding even when your head is dry and you're wearing a ninja mask, you don't know cold! SoCal...you probably have your full wetsuit out already!
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-21-2007, 1:40 PM Reply   
Ummm...Spring suit here right now. Coldest for me 45 deg F. Plenty of peeps on this board who ride with ice. If that is what you have to deal with, then deal with it. Do you prefer cold glass or warm soup?
Old     (flamike)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-21-2007, 1:52 PM Reply   
im with tackelberry, its 35 here in idaho and it not going to get much warmer and we are heading out this weekend. its all about how much you want it
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       11-21-2007, 1:58 PM Reply   
I'm with Brooke on this one...I'm into wakeboarding because I really enjoy it and have no stress while on the water. It is an escape for me from 'normal' life. Escaping into a situation where I'm in a permanent teeth-chattering shiver is not 'fun'. That numb hands, aching head, can't wait until we go home feeling is just not worth butter for me. I'll just wait until spring :-)
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-21-2007, 2:06 PM Reply   
Riding that cold is just stupid...it takes the fun out of it
Old     (azpowerhouse)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-21-2007, 3:24 PM Reply   
Ride till I die, its all in how bad you want it. In AZ I ride year round with only a vest. And yeah it does get pretty cold around xmas.
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-21-2007, 3:41 PM Reply   
I dont think we know what really cold is here living in the Bay Area...40 degrees is unbearably cold to me....
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-21-2007, 3:51 PM Reply   
ill ride as long as its phisically possible. if your riding hard enough then your warm enough to forget about the cold. just make sure theres a heater on the boat. pull that hose out and get under a blanket and the thaw process is a breeze
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-21-2007, 6:40 PM Reply   
Funny how folks won't ride in forty degree water with a dry suit on, but they'll jump at a chance to ride when it's called snow boarding and the temps are well below freezing up at the pass.

It's been my experience that ice cream headaches happen just as often when you crash face first in snow.

Then again... people never flag me as the bright one when I tell them I'm riding this time of year.
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-21-2007, 8:31 PM Reply   
Nick...not in a drysuit with snowboard layers on!!!
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-21-2007, 8:32 PM Reply   
I would do anything to ride on that. What's winterizing??
Old     (wake_pirate)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-22-2007, 10:19 PM Reply   
Drysuit = Dry, add sweatpants, & sweatshirt & ride. We ride all the time, I think we even rode on New Years Day or the day after...I forget but theres nothing like having the whole lake to yourself. If your worried about your fingers, Barts sells rubber gloves w/ cloth glove inserts.
Old     (flamike)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-24-2007, 12:18 PM Reply   
we use diving gloves. they work greatand a buddy picked them up off craigslist for about $45.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-24-2007, 12:21 PM Reply   
coldest I've ever ridden was 39 degree water and 44 degree air... TOO COLD and I prolly would do it again but I hate that first wreck.
Old     (crack)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-24-2007, 8:33 PM Reply   
Dock start and don't ph it up.

It'd be worth it to give it a shot for a nice ride like that.
Old     (kenv)      Join Date: May 2002       11-24-2007, 10:20 PM Reply   
Winterize???

I've got a good one...Thanksgiving is the new Labor Day in S.A. Texas. On Wednesday, we were out boarding, kids swimming off the platform like it was August, air temp: 82, water temp: 76. I still had sunscreen on at 3:00 and got sunburn. Woke up Thursday to temps in the 50's. Friday and Saturday: High was 45, raining, and witches teet cold! Almost a 40 degree turn-around in two days. I'm tellin' you...we have NO Fall here.

Later, Ken
Old     (bill_sloan)      Join Date: Nov 2007       11-25-2007, 5:36 AM Reply   
We had 75 degrees on Monday and by Thanksgiving it was 14 when I got up. Still did a 5K that morning though.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-25-2007, 1:46 PM Reply   
the lake in the pictures had ice forming around the shoreline 2 days later, just for temp reference
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       11-26-2007, 2:47 PM Reply   
I just know a lot of you don't understand. People who don't have to worry about their block cracking if you leave it without antifreeze for more than a night and people who can go out in the winter. You have no idea!

Our lake is not even ridable due to ice. If I didn't have to spend the hours to re-winterize the boat, I'd be out there! I'm lucky, I have the choice if the lake is open, I can go. Lots of my friends tow their boats to some storage facility, barn, warehouse and can't even get at it if they want to until spring when all of the other boats are out of the way, the ground isn't too soggy to pull the boat out of wherever it is and the lake is thawed. Then, hope we don't get a cold spell while your boat is sitting on the lift because you took it out a few weeks early.
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       11-26-2007, 2:55 PM Reply   
I forgot to mention that on Wednesday night, just before thanksgiving, we sat in the hot tub with a pile of snow on our heads wishing for spring. It was a warm 27 degrees.
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-26-2007, 4:06 PM Reply   
Yeah but you guys are looking good for snowboarding....we have to pray for snow in the mountains. Which is why the lakes are so low.