Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-14-2020, 8:43 AM Reply   
His IG is lots of construction type work lately. The website re-directs to the Hyperlite page. Did he finally retire?
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-15-2020, 12:56 AM Reply   
Didn’t they discontinue the Byerly brand like last year, or even the year before?
Don’t know about Byerly himself... but it would make sense that the website redirects to Hype.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-15-2020, 6:29 AM Reply   
I didn't know that they dropped the line last year. I guess I really am getting old and out of touch.
Old     (paulharenberg)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-15-2020, 11:56 PM Reply   
I think last year the "Byerly" brand was dropped, and there was a byerly line in the Hyperlite line up, which i think was just a wakesurfer

This year it looks like no more Byerly line up at all.

Aside from Byerly, nice to see Murray still getting on the Wakeworld Riders Choice Awards.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       09-23-2020, 2:17 AM Reply   
It makes me sad that an OG founder in our sport cannot "retire" with some real money or some sort of ongoing revenue stream in their pocket. As much as some of these guys sacrifice by pushing their bodies to the limit for progression you would think they might be rewarded a little more for their efforts. Guys that never even play in other professional sports end up in better shape financially after a few years of riding the pine.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       09-23-2020, 3:12 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene3x View Post
It makes me sad that an OG founder in our sport cannot "retire" with some real money or some sort of ongoing revenue stream in their pocket. As much as some of these guys sacrifice by pushing their bodies to the limit for progression you would think they might be rewarded a little more for their efforts. Guys that never even play in other professional sports end up in better shape financially after a few years of riding the pine.
yep. especially considering the Byerly Nautiques were some of the best looking boats of that era and I believe the first to list over 100K. You could make the case that the Byerly Icon edition gave CC the idea they could double prices and still move boats. Icons were limited runs, but still. CC made some coin off his name.

Hyperlite did as well. Not sure how much of Byerly boards he owned, but just feels like the industry did him dirty. I realize none of the pros are living large, but for an OG that so many looked up to ( me included) it kinda sucks.

Last edited by denverd1; 09-23-2020 at 3:20 AM.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-23-2020, 4:54 AM Reply   
Great guy and someone my kids will remember forever.
2008:
Attached Images

Old     (brinks)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-24-2020, 4:15 AM Reply   
Most of the Construction you see on his IG is his new house. He's still involved in the industry and probably will be for a long time.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-25-2020, 11:31 AM Reply   
Agreed Gene3x.
Randall is in a similar situation (financially) per his comments on the golden mic podcast.
I remember riding at Murray’s place years ago and learning that the female world champ (at the time) was a barista at Starbucks. That really hammered home the financial problems in the water sports industry.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-28-2020, 6:12 AM Reply   
This sport(s) is really a young mans game and most extreme sports are that way. The sponsors float the "bills" to travel while you are on top of your game but they certainly don't pay your personal bills, unless you are someone like Murray. It has always been an illusion to most that these pros are well take care of. In reality they are well taken advantage of. They sacrifice their life for very little promise of finical well being. Sure its fun and you get a ton of life experience traveling around but unless you are able to make a shift into business you will end up broken and poor with not much to include on a resume.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-12-2020, 3:09 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsidarider View Post
This sport(s) is really a young mans game and most extreme sports are that way. The sponsors float the "bills" to travel while you are on top of your game but they certainly don't pay your personal bills, unless you are someone like Murray. It has always been an illusion to most that these pros are well take care of. In reality they are well taken advantage of. They sacrifice their life for very little promise of finical well being. Sure its fun and you get a ton of life experience traveling around but unless you are able to make a shift into business you will end up broken and poor with not much to include on a resume.
Well said. If you look at the numbers you will see very few have every made a long term run of it so you better have a transition plan for when the real world comes a knocking.