Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Find A Third/Be A Third

Old     (Lindell2012)      Join Date: Feb 2018       02-26-2018, 3:57 AM Reply   
I’m moving up to the area to Ft Mead in a few weeks and I was some people who have some knowledge on the local areas and places to board and surf. I’m bringing my boat up with me too and was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions for storage places, preferably indoor.
Old     (johndk)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-22-2018, 5:00 PM Reply   
This area is not so great. I'm not sure how good the Severn River near you is, but I think some of it is salty and I hear about jellyfish (sea nettles) there.

I sadly use the Potomac, and keep my boat in Woodbridge at the Tyme n Tyde boatel (nice, but about $4k a year). Lake Anna is nicer, but crowded on weekends and at least another hour further south, with horrible weekend traffic (at least going on 95) unless you go early in the morning.

The Potomac can be good (calm, few boats) on weekdays, but by noon on weekends all the boats (including some very big ones) usually destroy what water the wind has not (lots of wide open water so the wind can really be a problem). The few semi-protected coves are mostly shallow and not very usable. Mattawoman Creek is the best protected cove-type area, but it's too shallow for decent wakesurfing or even getting a very good wakeboard wake, and it's small and full of boats (lots of tubers). I end up there way more than I'd like, out of desperation. The depth there rapidly fluctuates between 3-20 feet (mostly around 6 feet - the deeper parts are very tiny), so the wake size/shape is constantly changing.

Did I mention I want to get out of this area?

I'd be happy to take you out on the Potomac once it warms up a bit.

-John
Old     (Lindell2012)      Join Date: Feb 2018       06-15-2018, 1:13 PM Reply   
Sorry for the late reply. I haven't checked this in a little bit. Been getting set up here at Ft Meade. I'm going to try to get my boat out to Lake Anna some this weekend as long as the weather holds out. I'll have to take you up on your offer to show me around the Potomac a bit sometime though. I've never really done much boating on rivers since everything is usually lakes down in Texas.

-Kyle
Old     (johndk)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-15-2018, 4:56 PM Reply   
Yeah, absolutely - just let me know when a good weekend for you is coming up.