Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeskating

Old     (jfergus7)      Join Date: Jul 2011       01-20-2012, 11:15 PM Reply   
Last summer I got into wakeboarding and absolutely love it. I was really hoping that I could get my girlfriend to get into it with me but it doesn't look like that will happen. She is however a big skateboarder and I am thinking that a wakeskate might be something she is more willing to try. I don't mind buying a board for her even just to give it a shot. Any suggestions for a beginner board for a woman? She is 5'7" about 130lbs. Price isn't the deciding factor but I don't want to go real expensive especially incase she doesn't like it. Thanks for the help!
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       01-21-2012, 12:21 AM Reply   
I would go with a basic wood wake skate for simplicity and for a beginner. Probably even a composite board would be great too as its top deck shape is similar to a skate board. Although the bi levels look exactly like a skate board and probably get her excited because the visual similarities to skateboarding but learning on that kind can be tough and/or frustrating. Keep it simple so her first experiences can be easy and not frustrating or costly for that matter
Old     (jfergus7)      Join Date: Jul 2011       01-21-2012, 8:06 AM Reply   
Thanks for the suggestion. I am sure that it is quite different then skateboarding I am just looking for something to get her interested in getting behind the boat with me and figured I would give this a try. If anyone has a used board they are looking to part with that would be a good fit for her please let me know also. Not in a hurry since it has been single digit temps all week and we just got 5" of snow yesterday. Won't be using it anytime soon!
Old     (jfergus7)      Join Date: Jul 2011       01-22-2012, 8:29 PM Reply   
Had a long conversation with her about this last night and she is definitely more interested in giving wakeskating a try over wakeboarding however that might change soon since we are both getting snowboards this week. I think after she experiences both her feet in boots the wakeboard won't seem so scary to her.
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-22-2012, 9:40 PM Reply   
girls like the graphics man, 90% of the time they dont even care what the board rides like
Old     (jfergus7)      Join Date: Jul 2011       01-22-2012, 9:57 PM Reply   
I actually thought of that too but I know that she is very stubborn so if it isn't the right board for her she will get frustrated and would give up because of that before she gives up because of the graphics. I actually have a friend that is an artist and was actually thinking that once find the board for her if she doesn't like it I will have him repaint it for her.

To be honest the only reason I am really pushing for her to get into this is because I am hoping to purchase a new boat in the next year or two and the more she is into water sports the easier it will be for me to get the boat of my choice!
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-22-2012, 10:57 PM Reply   
my girlfriend never wanted to try wakeboarding and went straight to wakeskating. She got a 38" Original Wakeskate (local custom company). It is small enough for her to control, and the weight of it since it is an all wood concave deck helps it ride smooth and is more forgiving. The board is blank and is just a dark stained wood which you cant go wrong with.

She has ridden my 38" Integrity, and she definitely prefers the all wood board over it because it isnt as responsive.
She has also tried a Flat deck and cant ride them well. The lack of concave makes it harder for her to edge around.

For your girl friend I would recommend the Water Monsters 39.5". They are only $250 for a really solid board(made in the USA by the Pastura brothers!), and the shape is awesome. You could also ride it too.
Old     (jfergus7)      Join Date: Jul 2011       01-22-2012, 11:19 PM Reply   
That's awesome Mitch! Thanks for the suggestion. Looks like a nice board. Gonna contact them this week to see if they can be purchased anywhere locally and so I can check them out.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-23-2012, 1:45 PM Reply   
Your profile says your in IL, so I think Wake Nation in Ohio is the closest retailer. They are actually built in the Cincinnati area since that's where Andrew and Austin Pastura are from.
They are a small company so most shops dont carry them.
Old     (jfergus7)      Join Date: Jul 2011       01-23-2012, 1:55 PM Reply   
I havent' had a chance to look yet. I will just look at ordering one from the website then if that is the one I end up going with but it looks like it might be!
Old     (jfergus7)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-02-2012, 11:44 AM Reply   
She is driving me crazy! Now she is saying that she would rather wakeboard then wakeskate. Think she will feel more comfortable being connected to the board which I understand. Think I just found a board for her but have to find bindings now.