Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (230Nick)      Join Date: Mar 2014       02-18-2016, 9:22 AM Reply   
Give a little back ground. I acquired 2 syn 2 amps for my wetsound pro80s, and a SD6 to power my in boat speakers. With the intention of upgrading my in boat speakers to take full advantage of the SD6.

Amp specs:
SD6
185w@4ohms-x6
290w@2ohms-x6

So far my search is the mm651um seems pretty promising

MM651UM
4ohms
100watts- continues
200watts - peak
(polk audio suggested amp size 150watts)

along with the Polk audio mm651UM it has very high reviews and apparently is the #1 marine audio speaker i could find on comparisons to other marine speakers.

I have done a little bit of research, and the original intention was to go with Polk Audio MM651UMs. But before i commit to start buying the polks i just want to see what other options are out there for me.

Any suggestions, or opinions would be helpful.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-18-2016, 9:59 AM Reply   
That #1 ranking and $6 will get you a small latte @ starbucks. That comparison is based on written specs and internet price.

Wet Sounds XS-650
JL M650
Kicker KM8 or JL 7.7 (if you have room for an 8" OD speaker)
Old     (viking)      Join Date: Sep 2009       02-18-2016, 10:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chpthril View Post
That #1 ranking and $6 will get you a small latte @ starbucks. That comparison is based on written specs and internet price.

Wet Sounds XS-650
JL M650
Kicker KM8 or JL 7.7 (if you have room for an 8" OD speaker)
BINGO..............
There's your answer - THREAD CLOSED!!
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       02-18-2016, 11:55 AM Reply   
I'm also familiar with that same marine speaker review, and it is totally bogus. The specs are questionable also and can't be compared across brand to brand.
The review and specs aside, I wouldn't consider the Polk #1. I would rate the JL Audio MX650 (less cost than the M650) and the Wetsounds XS650 as better speakers. And that has also been consistent with consumer choices when they were able to hear the three side by side in an equal setting with equal power. However, I do believe that the MM651UM (and not the lesser MM651) is a very good marine speaker that rates in the top five or six.
Old     (230Nick)      Join Date: Mar 2014       02-18-2016, 12:22 PM Reply   
This setups going into a 07 230 team edition, currently have the older version of the mm651s... i cant remeber exactly what model they are, regardless one is popped and needs to be replaced. So might as well go big.

As for the review i was thinking the mm651um being #1 was questionable my self. Thus the reasoning behind this thread.

So far ive found the MM651UM at $145 a pair which isnt to bad. ill have to check out the wesounds and JLs for sure
Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-21-2016, 4:21 PM Reply   
I miss that boat. If it were still in my garage I think I would go with the JL 7.7 if they would fit. How has the boat been since you bought it Nick? Any Issues?
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       02-21-2016, 4:32 PM Reply   
You said the magic word. Go big.... XS650 for replacement...XS808 with mods for go bigger....
Old    BamaMojo            02-25-2016, 4:59 AM Reply   
Go Wetsounds speakers.... Drop mic and exit stage....