Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 01, 2004

Old    jimmydager101            03-27-2004, 12:04 PM Reply   
Hey,
I am installing my monster tower and I think that I may have screwed up. When I lower my tower, it twists and the top section swivels. To remedy this, there are the four allen set screws that are supposed to keep it from turning. I tightened them as much as I could but they don't keep it from moving. I saw that the tower comes with four bolts that look like quick bolts where you push the tube in and then tighten the bolts. I thought that these were supposed to go in the holes that were drilled in the section where the rear legs mount to the top section and so that's where I put them. My question is, is this right or were they supposed to go where those allen head set screws were? If I did it right, what can I do to keep the top section from piviting.
Thanks for all of your help,
Jimmy Dager
Old    pumpkin_head            03-27-2004, 12:53 PM Reply   
Did you drill the dimples into the tower at the bottom of the setscrew holes as it says in the directions? If I remember correctly from when I installed mine, two of the set screw holes need the dimples drilled at the bottom. It's in the instructions. Not sure what you mean by "quick bolts". Anyway, I would talk to the Monster Tower folks to be sure.
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-27-2004, 10:20 PM Reply   
Jimmy,
Sounds like you have the top section the way it needs to be so you’re in good shape. If the collars in the top section are rotating and making it hard to fold down the tower give us a call so we can figure it out together. My cell is 678-895-8005 or call us toll free during non-boarding hours at 877-77-Tower.
Sorry for the inconvenience. - Bill
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-29-2004, 11:35 AM Reply   
Jimmy,

I had the same thing happen with mine. You put the "quick" bolts in the right place, no worries. According to Bill sometimes the 4 set screws on the collars do not keep the top from rotating when you fold the tower down.

To remedy this Bill sent me two cap head bolts to use in place of the set screws. The cap head allows you to use a socket wrench to tighten them which really allows you to lock them in tight. You will need to remove all 4 set screws and replace them with one cap head bolt on each side. This worked like a charm for me.
Old     (nbeihl)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-29-2004, 8:20 PM Reply   
I am about to install my tower this weekend.. I will keep my eyes pealed for what you guys are talking about...
Old     (yooper)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-30-2004, 5:36 AM Reply   
Bill,
I actually never drilled the dimples on the part he's talking about either, and it does rotate as you are folding the tower down. Is that a problem, though? I think it's kind of nice because then the legs can fold down onto the engine cover. It doesn't seem to affect the stability when it's up. What do you think?
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-30-2004, 7:21 AM Reply   
You do not need to drill the dimples for the set screws that hold the rotating collar. The set screws can be replaced by a cap screw that lets you torque down harder and just holler if you want us to send you some. Tightening the two set screws on each side should hold the top section fixed.

The tower was designed to rotate back on the rear Heim joints and then have the front legs cross over each other like sunglasses for storage. Early on a few customer found you could rotate the top section as well for storage which you found makes it lay down even lower. The problem is the collar that rotates inside the top section can lock up if it begins galling. That joint was not expected to continually rotate when we designed the tower. It makes it take a little longer to set back up as well so we recommend the first way that is described in the installation instructions.

Old    hb_tige            03-30-2004, 7:17 PM Reply   
I installed my Monster tower on Sunday and I was confused about why the top section was rotating. I tightened the set screws and that did not help. I called Monster Tower on Monday and they told me to drill out the set screws with the 10mm drill bit provided and put the anchor bolts in. It works well now that I have the anchor bolts in. Did I do it wrong? and will I have any problems down the road? Thanks for the input.
Old    jimmydager101            03-31-2004, 9:29 AM Reply   
Hey,
thanks for all of the great info. I talked to monster tower and they are sending me new set screws that I can tighten down better. A huge thankyou to monster tower for these. I have been incredibly impressed with their customer service. They are sending me the new pins free of charge and are not even charging me for shipping. Monster tower has got the customer service down to a science. Thanks to Bill for all the helpful information on this board and over the phone during the install. I can't give you guys enough praise.
One very happy customer,
Jimmy Dager