Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (RonBurgundy)      Join Date: Jun 2012       04-11-2016, 9:53 PM Reply   
Anyone see any potential issues with this? One of the lakes I frequent (2-3 days per week) is setup without a dock to get out in the boat, and I grab the guys I ride with at the other end of the lake....so typically I back in, hop in the boat/launch, leave it in (it's private) and ride...when I'm through I can cruise back over, load, and get the hell out of there.

All in all sits submerged for 2-4 hours at a time each trip.

Thanks!
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-11-2016, 10:28 PM Reply   
Two words: inflatable kayak.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       04-11-2016, 11:21 PM Reply   
???
Old     (WheelerWake)      Join Date: Mar 2013       04-12-2016, 4:35 AM Reply   
Two things come to mind, water intrusion into either the wheel bearings or brake calipers/wheel cylinders.
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       04-12-2016, 8:11 AM Reply   
Bad idea.
Bearings ,Bungs ,Brakes,Lights all of them are susceptible to over submersion
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-12-2016, 8:35 AM Reply   
Yeah I would imagine it would reek havoc on your trailer components. Bearings, Brakes, Electrical, etc....
Old     (BrettLee3232)      Join Date: Feb 2015       04-12-2016, 11:21 AM Reply   
I see people do this at Body Beach in Havasu all the time with their Jet Ski trailers. I always imagined it was bad for it but hey what do I know?
Old     (kx250frider617)      Join Date: Aug 2013       04-12-2016, 11:54 AM Reply   
I personally would pull it out. But if it's clean, fresh water on a paved ramp, I don't see a problem. Your axle seals shouldn't let any water in or any oil out unless they are torn. Same with the brakes, those seals hold all the pressure of the brake fluid, the shouldn't have a problem with water. I've let my trailer soak in fresh water for 30min + just to rinse out all the salt residue left over after I dunk in salt water. I have a painted over galvanized trailer though.

Thinking about, I would probably be more concerned on your wood trailer bunks soaking in all the water for that long.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-12-2016, 2:34 PM Reply   
Your trailer will die 2 or 3 times as fast.

http://www.westmarine.com/WestAdviso...anic-Corrosion
Old     (RonBurgundy)      Join Date: Jun 2012       04-12-2016, 9:12 PM Reply   
Balls.....well I'm glad I asked! I was thinking the bearings I was worried about, but I honestly didn't think of the other items. Thanks!
Old     (WheelerWake)      Join Date: Mar 2013       04-13-2016, 4:43 AM Reply   
One more possibility (unlikely), your truck comes out of park/gear and the whole thing heads south.
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       04-13-2016, 7:03 AM Reply   
If leaving the trailer in the water makes it a lot easier for you, I'd do it and not worry. Bearings are cheap to replace and I don't see why water would make them fail faster personally. They get wet every time it rains. Is it bad to drive in the rain for 4 hours? Brakes are meant to get wet too. Brake fluid is cheap. replace the fluid every couple years if you are worried. Inexpensive tests exist to see if you have water in your brake fluid. Again, you drive in the rain and it does not hurt the brakes. Brake fluid does naturally take on water over time anyway and I'm not sure keeping the trailer in the water is going to make that happen faster. Brake fluid is cheap and very easy to flush. I also don't think you are not going to hurt the lights. They are meant to get wet. Again, they get wet every time it rains. They are sealed very well. The wiring should be sealed and coated. Honestly, I don't think the bunks are going to rot faster either. All the piers on our lake are made out of wood. The parts that rot the fastest are the pier planks which we walk on and those are out of the water. I think fact the top planks get wet/dry/wet/dry over and over causes the rot. The parts of the pier which are in the water don't seem to rot. This is untreated pine. Have fun. don't worry. Trailers are meant to get wet.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-13-2016, 7:24 AM Reply   
I would think they are water resistant but not water proof. for me, not would not be worth the risk of damaging the trailer or all its parts.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       04-13-2016, 8:38 AM Reply   
^^^ Exactly. They are water resistant. Road spray is no issue. Bing fully submerged for hours 2 feet deep will allow water in. Ever look at an inner wheel seal? Not much there. Most leak grease out, which shows the seals aren't strong. Quick dip and the grease keeps the water out of the bearings more than the seal does. Leave it in and water is going to find its way in. Lights and electrical will be the same story. Going to get water in them and corrode and stop working. The hydraulic part of the break system is going to be OK. Thats sealed and under pressure. No water is going to get in there. But all the exposed components behind the wheels are for sure not designed for a prolong submerging. Stuff is going to rust and at some point seize up. I wouldn't want to be driving around wondering if today was the day my brakes were gonna fail.

Bottom line is trailers are not designed to be left in water for hours repeatedly. If you do it will cause premature failure of many parts. If you know that and are OK with it, then go for it.
Old     (Treybiz)      Join Date: Nov 2014       04-13-2016, 8:38 AM Reply   
I do it pretty often at the lakehouse. On our lake we don't have boat houses or lifts but there is a shared ramp and rocky beach area in the neighborhood cove. The best spot to launch an inboard is about 50 yards from the ramp and I'm the only one that uses it so I generally leave the trailer in while the boat is in.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-14-2016, 11:51 AM Reply   
It may be convenient now but not so convenient later.
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       04-16-2016, 10:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kx250frider617 View Post
I personally would pull it out. But if it's clean, fresh water on a paved ramp, I don't see a problem. Your axle seals shouldn't let any water in or any oil out unless they are torn. Same with the brakes, those seals hold all the pressure of the brake fluid, the shouldn't have a problem with water. I've let my trailer soak in fresh water for 30min + just to rinse out all the salt residue left over after I dunk in salt water. I have a painted over galvanized trailer though.

Thinking about, I would probably be more concerned on your wood trailer bunks soaking in all the water for that long.
dude your wrong the seals do there best to keep dust out but they don't hence bearings that crap the bed . The Brake reservoir has a hole in it or the fluid level wouldn't drop when the pad/shoes wear out . Not to mention even the best lights can get a crack from a rock and leak under water.

All you guys that think it doesn't cause problems must not have ever been on the side of the highway with a smoked wheel bearing . Or rusted up locked up brakes.

Last edited by CALIV210; 04-16-2016 at 10:43 AM. Reason: add more