Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-10-2012, 10:37 AM Reply   
By now you have all probably figured out that I like to flip vehicles. In 22 years of driving, I have owned 13 different cars. The longest was a 1999 Altima which I drove for 3 years (the only car I ever bought for practical reasons… swear I’ll never do that again). The shortest was a 2008 Ford Mustang GT which I drove for 7 months. I've driven sports cars, suv's, trucks, even convertibles. I am all over the board. My wife calls my condition “Car A.D.D.”

Since I got into boating I have learned that the temptation it just as bad! This forum is partly to blame, ya know. Moving to Oregon didn’t help my “condition” either because there is no sales tax making resale of big ticket items pretty easy.

So… I decided to test the waters on my 2012 MB F21 Tomcat to see if it would sell. It shouldn’t surprise anybody here that it did sell… it was such a sweet boat, a real eye catcher. We got compliments on it almost every time out.

My garage size is such that I’m pretty much maxed out with a 21 – 22 foot boat. So I really can’t make the bigger stuff work, as much as I’d like to.

MB’s are great boats, but after two of them I was feeling the itch to try something different. So yesterday I finalized an order for a 2012 Malibu Wakesetter VLX.

You may be wondering, why Malibu? So here goes...
  • G3 tower is my favorite tower of all. Sturdy, sexy, easy to raise and lower with the gas shocks regardless of how much speaker weight is up there. The perfect combo of form and function.
  • Maliview. Much has been said about screens on this forum. I have never had one, but I am anxious to try. The Maliview is intriguing to me because of all the presets: speed, ballast, wedge, and auto pull (more on that below). We have a big family, and I’m the main driver, so I’m anxious to try anything that makes the driving experience more automatic so I can focus on the rider and watching out for debris in the river.
  • Ballast. I am really excited to try ballast in four different locations. And as much as I don’t like the idea of pumps after having Pure Vert, I think Malibu’s new pumps and wider hoses have reduced fill time to something like 2 minutes. Combine that with the Maliview presets and I basically won’t have to think about ballast at all after I get everybody’s profiles set up.
  • Ski wake. Even with the wake hull, I am expecting better ski wakes at 30+ mph due to Malibu’s flatter bottom. My wife likes to ski on occasion. We don’t need a competition quality ski wake (we regularly boat with two families who have an Echelon and a Response LXI), but I’m always aware of what a boat change will do to the skiing experience my wife enjoys on our own boat. So it’s nice to be moving the right direction with this change.
  • Auto Pull is a sweet new feature. Basically I can program the boat the memorize how I pull up my 12 year old daughter (light on the gas) vs. how I pull up a buddy (heavy on the gas). Then I can add that to their Maliview profile so regardless of how I throw down the stick, they will get a consistent deep water start every time! No more blaming Dad for not getting up! Ha!! Also, this makes so that Dad gets a consistent pull when Mom is behind the wheel (I hope she doesn’t read this!).
  • Handling. The VLX drives like a sports car. I have always loved the feel of a Malibu when you are behind the wheel.
  • Lots of other things I appreciate about the Malibu: super deep bow, no carpet in the storage area, speed sensitive volume, rampier wake, clean wake at speeds < 20mph, Boatmate trailers, love the board racks, etc.
  • Friends. I suppose I am also influenced by those families we boat with… both are avid Malibu fans and I’ve seen how their older Malibus have preformed and held up over the years. They are both flawless.
  • Finally the dealer… Active Water Sports is a big part of this decision. I bought my first boat there, and I am happy to be returning. They always treat me like family, even when I didn’t buy my second boat from them. They don’t pressure me, they listen to my concerns, and they seek to resolve them in a fair way. Everything is transparent, up front, and 100% professional. I never feel contention when I'm there. I love working with them.

So there you have it. I’m a little nervous to be stepping up like this, but excited at the same time.

The VLX should be delivered in mid-May.

I have to finalize colors by Monday, so I will post all that stuff when it’s set in stone. But since I don't like posting w/out pictures, I figured I'd show you some of the boats I keep looking at as inspiration. As you can see, I'm definitely thinking white trailer and white tower. Accent colors will be black and red (maybe). I might consider blue instead of red. Not sure. Feel free to post your ideas using http://www.malibuboats.com/buildown.html

Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-10-2012, 11:35 AM Reply   
Holy cow the MB king is dead!!!!! Stepping it up. Congrats on the Malibu. One of my big purchase influences is Active Water Sports also. Thank god they are a Supra dealer too. Hope to see this bad boy on the water this year.
When will you get it?
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       03-10-2012, 1:06 PM Reply   
Congrats.. I can't wait to see that new boat.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-10-2012, 2:27 PM Reply   
thanks for the update and writeup ixfe.....the bu's are SWEET rides.

I'm sure I don't have to say this....but keep up posted.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-10-2012, 2:41 PM Reply   
Congratulations on your new boat.A MB is a great boat,but I think you will appreciate the quality and great wake of the Malibu.I personally like the Blue/White combo best,but I agree the Red/White is very sharp also. Enjoy your new toy!
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            03-10-2012, 2:59 PM Reply   
Congrats on the new boat! The white trailer, white tower combo is sharp. Now head over to themalibucrew forum. Great bunch of guys over there.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       03-10-2012, 3:12 PM Reply   
Congrats on ordering the new boat IXFE!
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-10-2012, 3:19 PM Reply   
Welcome to the crew! Oh I'm sorry wrong website!
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-10-2012, 3:39 PM Reply   
Why did you order one when you could get this one today LOL

http://portland.craigslist.org/nco/boa/2895452383.html

I hope you get a build slot soon! I'm predicting a great spring/summer! Can't get an worse. We had a rough few years
Old     (jtech)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-10-2012, 5:01 PM Reply   
Check the TMC website, a few people there that have or had the white tower said it is hard to keep clean.

Welcome back to the AWS and to the Malibu Family. Be sure to sign up at TMC and check out the NW owners meet this July!

Edit: I see your already there, lol!

-J

Last edited by jtech; 03-10-2012 at 5:03 PM. Reason: Edit
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-10-2012, 5:17 PM Reply   
Congrats! I'm partial to the flake myself...

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=30842

Minor nitpick, but first thing i'd do is replace the steering wheel...
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-10-2012, 5:25 PM Reply   
Active Water Sports tells me it will get an April build slot. So I should have it early-mid May.

Here's what I'm thinking on design...

(please excuse my hackjob on MS Paint. If anybody wants to actually photoshop the orange one above I'd appreciate it).

Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-10-2012, 5:59 PM Reply   
Nice IXFE. I like that color combo but I would ditch the black stripe above the rub rail.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-10-2012, 6:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
Nice IXFE. I like that color combo but I would ditch the black stripe above the rub rail.
Like this. Too bad their boat builder is terrible and doesn't give a realistic idea of what the boat will look like.
Attached Images

Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-10-2012, 7:57 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfe View Post
I am really excited to try ballast in four different locations. And as much as I don’t like the idea of pumps after having Pure Vert, I think Malibu’s new pumps and wider hoses have reduced fill time to something like 2 minutes. Combine that with the Maliview presets and I basically won’t have to think about ballast at all after I get everybody’s profiles set up.
I was not aware their ballast filled in 2 min. Any more details on this?
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-10-2012, 8:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter660 View Post
I was not aware their ballast filled in 2 min. Any more details on this?
I am no expert, but I know they changed to higher capacity pumps in 2012. Also the lines were upgraded to 1" in diameter instead of 3/4"

Somebody who knows more about this subject will no doubt chime in give us more specifics.

When I get the boat, I'll time it and post the results.
Old     (lenmann)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-10-2012, 9:03 PM Reply   
Congrats on the new boat, the VLX is on my prospect list too. I had a 2003 VLX before i bought my 2011 TWB, I'm not quite as ADD as you... (yet)

After spending a day at the SAC Boat Show and drooling over the white towered LSV Larson had there I concluded that if I were to order one with a white tower I would pay extra to have it powder coated in GLOSS white, not wrinkle finish. The white wrinkle finish on the show boat had collected smudges, dirt, grease, body oil and all sorts of other contaminants that won't wipe off with a rag and babes boat bright. I can only imagine the colors that would collect in its crevasses after a 4 hour drive up the valley to Shasta.

Just a thought...all the best with the new ride!
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-10-2012, 9:05 PM Reply   
Congrats David. I look forward to seeing your creation. You know what I like -- white, gray & black! I like the stripe of that orange style boat but I would never go orange.

Unfortunately, MB did not get the new F24 to the show. That would have been fun to see.

I also look forward to the new CC coming in a couple of months. People are talking about a ballast system that scoops up the water as it goes to sink the boat.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-10-2012, 10:31 PM Reply   
I personally like the blue and white. I can't really tell from the pic but I'd do metal flake in the blue. Maybe a hint of grey in there too. With a white tower. White trailer with blue fenders and crime wheels to go with te "iced out" look.
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-11-2012, 9:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfe View Post
I am no expert, but I know they changed to higher capacity pumps in 2012. Also the lines were upgraded to 1" in diameter instead of 3/4"

Somebody who knows more about this subject will no doubt chime in give us more specifics.

When I get the boat, I'll time it and post the results.
Yes, you are correct, they went to 1100 GPH pumps from the 850 GPH pumps on the 2011's. The fill times on the 2011 were not bad, about 3.5 mins to fill up 1250 lbs of hard tanks. The 2012's will be even faster, probably closer to 2.5 mins.

1250 lbs = 150 gallons of water
(2011) 4 pumps filling at 14 GPM x 4 = 56 Gallons per minute at full capacity / 150 gallons = 2.67 mins
(2012) 4 pumps filling at 18 GPM x 4 = 72 Gallons per minute at full capacity / 150 gallons = 2.08 mins

These numbers are a little skewed because these pumps will rarely give 100% of there rating. When I timed my 2011 it was right at 3.5 mins for a complete fill.

and congratulations on your new VLX, its a great ride!
Old     (brianinpdx)      Join Date: Aug 2009       03-11-2012, 11:17 AM Reply   
Congrats! Cant go wrong with AWS. Great group of guys and great product. Vince's BU is just getting re leave exile full of upgrades. Always fun to see how the color combo's turn out in person.

-Brian

PS: I"m sure there is a three on the TMC about the NW wow. Look at the dates. Theres a few BU's from PDX caravanning up to it if your interested. Great time last year. I made a quick video somewhere... good times!

Last edited by brianinpdx; 03-11-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       03-12-2012, 9:41 AM Reply   
Congrats!
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-12-2012, 9:46 AM Reply   
Congrats David, can't wait to see how it turns out.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-20-2012, 2:21 PM Reply   
Just found out that my spray date is April 10th! Woot!!