Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       10-14-2010, 4:18 PM Reply   
I'm looking to invest into a new TV since my 1 yr old Plazma went in for warranty and it's getting replaced. Not sure I really want to go back to Plazma if it barley lasted over 1 yr. What can you help me with Brand and the type of TV.

HELP!

Last edited by downfortheride; 10-14-2010 at 4:19 PM. Reason: Cause I write like a 2 yr old
Old     (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-14-2010, 5:49 PM Reply   
Well what are you looking to spend? Let us know price range, size you're looking for, etc. details man! Then we can definitely help out. all that aside, if you can afford it, go with the new LED tvs. We picked up a 55" LED tv, LG brand, and its amazing. It's got a no-glare screen, it's about 1" thick if that, which is ridiculous, and it's a crystal clear picture. Actually its so clear that a lot of people say it looks weird, it actually takes getting used to how real it looks. no joke, people have said "It looks too real."
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       10-14-2010, 6:00 PM Reply   
Thanks ben...
Looking for LG, Samsung then might look else where. I'm looking to spend $1800 and if I can get the 5 yr warranty in that I would be happy. Max $2,000 for a TV. I had a 60" but thinking this time to go with nothing more then a 55". I have been doing a lot of reading online and have narrowed it down to Plazma or LED. It looks like Plazma has it hands down when you go with a large TV but LED quality is right behind it. Power usage is another thing I started looking at and LED uses half the power and don't get hot at all. From what I read it says the burnt screen issue has been taken care of for Plazma but that's why i'm getting another one, damn burnt screen. That is why now I'm looking into the LED but they seem so new the real pro's and con's arent out yet.
From what I have found the TV's are between $2,000 and $1,700 for what I'm looking for, might just have to throw a little more cash and get the extended warranty.
Old     (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-14-2010, 6:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by downfortheride View Post
Thanks ben...
Looking for LG, Samsung then might look else where. I'm looking to spend $1800 and if I can get the 5 yr warranty in that I would be happy. Max $2,000 for a TV. I had a 60" but thinking this time to go with nothing more then a 55". I have been doing a lot of reading online and have narrowed it down to Plazma or LED. It looks like Plazma has it hands down when you go with a large TV but LED quality is right behind it. Power usage is another thing I started looking at and LED uses half the power and don't get hot at all. From what I read it says the burnt screen issue has been taken care of for Plazma but that's why i'm getting another one, damn burnt screen. That is why now I'm looking into the LED but they seem so new the real pro's and con's arent out yet.
From what I have found the TV's are between $2,000 and $1,700 for what I'm looking for, might just have to throw a little more cash and get the extended warranty.
our 55" LG led tv was $1700, we had a plasma before it and i'd say the HD picture quality on the led is leaps and bounds above the plasma. A big negative with the led though is that the standard picture quality is pretty sub-par. So if you don't have HD, i'd stay away from led. And you're right the led tv's don't run hot at all, as they use less power. Plus, you don't have to worry about burn-in on an led tv, it's non existent, as where a plasma will get burn-in. lcd tv's are nice too, I think it really just comes down to personal preference. Your best bet is really to just go to the store, Best Buy, whereever, and view the tv's side-by-side. Each TV has its own color temps too, some look cool (blue) where others have warm tint to the color, a lot of oranges and reds, which is noticeable in skin tone more than anything. Hope this helps, and good luck with the tv find
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       10-14-2010, 6:37 PM Reply   
Ben ~~ Regular TV seems better in Plazma and we do watch some non HD showes but B Ball season is starting and HD is on all the time. As I type the Jazz game is on and I'm shopping for a TV and not watching the game... DAMIT. I'm starting to lean towards the LED with reviews and power usage. I will let ya know what I go with.
Old     (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-14-2010, 7:46 PM Reply   
Id really recommend the LED, it's tough to beat. I think you'd love it. the positives far outweigh the one negative of standard tv being a bit poor quality. I can't find one other bad thing about the tv. And the basketball (or any sporting event for that matter) in HD will definitely be incredible. Blu-Ray's on it are at the same level, if not higher regarding quality. Brand-wise, i'd recommend LG or Samsung, they're the top two brands for LED as of right now
Old     (imx)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-15-2010, 1:05 AM Reply   
I have a Pioneer MXE 50'' plasma, had it for about 6 years and it is still the best big screen TV I have seen. It is a beefed up version of the domestic model with extra cooling fans and sturdier electrics. I remember the guy i bought it from telling me it was designed to operate in commercial applications requiring it to be on all day. When they installed it it gets calibrated to your DVD player by computer after 100hrs which took the guy about an hour and is essentially is a superfine tune. Still amazing picture quality and speed.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       10-15-2010, 11:26 AM Reply   
Recently replaced our Plasma with a Samsung 55" LCD. It is an INCREDIBLE difference. Just like Ben when people come over and watch it they say it looks so real it looks fake. Once you get used to it, it is amazing. This is the model number LN55C650 Seems like it is right around $1700 right now. IMHO Samsung makes some of the best TVs on the market. We currently have 3 of their LCD TVs. All that being said if I could afford the LED version I would have probably gone with that.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-15-2010, 1:53 PM Reply   
I've had my Plasma for 6 years too and have had no problems and regularly get told that my picture is great. I feel that if the room is right for plasma its the way to go especially if you are a sports enthusiast which it sounds like you are. I'm currently looking to go to a 55" and move the 42" to the garage and will be going plasma again.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-15-2010, 5:57 PM Reply   
A lot of it depends on light in the viewing room, too. LCD's do better in bright rooms. Plasma's are generally better when there is less light or indirect light. I've got both and think the LCD image looks sharper, but my Plasma is a couple years older. Plasmas is definitely not as "snappy" or crisp on color changes. They're all good these days.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       10-17-2010, 9:42 AM Reply   
Thanks everybody for their advice...

We picked up the Sony 52" LED ... This TV has such a nice picture, I can't wait for B Ball season to start... GO JAZZ!