Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-29-2010, 6:05 PM Reply   
Alright guys Im lookin for some new glasses. I have 2 pairs of spy clash that I really like, but need something with a darker or polarized lens.

Lookin for a large wrap around frame, nothing smaller than the clash, preferably a colored frame.

What do you guys rock?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-30-2010, 6:55 AM Reply   
I love sunglasses. There are a lot of great styles right not.

I like my Fox Meetings, Oakley Oil Rigs (large wrap around frame), and my Spy MC2s. All are on the bigger side.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-30-2010, 6:59 AM Reply   
maui jims i got them at bass pro shops. they are polarized.they have black frame and lens wrap almost to temple.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-30-2010, 9:15 AM Reply   
Hoven makes some realtively inexpensive wrap around ( style) sunglasses that u can get polarized.

I will spend soem time hunting around online for something different.

check out nofear.com they are alwasy runnig sunglass specials. I'll buy a few diff pairs at a time on their and give the ones away I dont' like, at only $10/pr I roll the dice on whether or not i'll like them. I picked up some really cool spys for $12 a few montsh ago.
Old     (aarond0083)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-30-2010, 11:47 AM Reply   
Oakley Monster Pups Polarized. I love them.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-01-2010, 9:23 AM Reply   
Could check out the Giro's on sale at Clymb.com right now. Some Polarized ones for $50 plus $7 shipping.

http://www.theclymb.com/invite-from/SeanMaginnesss
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-01-2010, 10:05 AM Reply   
Black Flys or Smiths is all I wear any more.
Old     (h2oproaccessories)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-01-2010, 10:18 AM Reply   
I went Costa Del Mars years ago.... will never go to anything else.
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-01-2010, 1:45 PM Reply   
I have about 40 pair of sunglasses. I still havent found anything that has the lens quality of Oakleys. Thats about all I buy anymore.
Old     (jmuthafnp)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-02-2010, 12:54 PM Reply   
I'm currently rocking the Facemelts from Von Zipper and love them. Optical clarity blows my Oakleys away and for $75 you can't beat them. These are avaiable in several colors but I am rocking the limited edition purple ones right now:

http://us.vonzipper.com/#/products/s...stic_Blueberry

Definiteley worth a look in my opinion.
Attached Images

Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-02-2010, 7:19 PM Reply   
John those are dope. thanks man. I looked at some of their other frames, the bionacles are way sick. Considering those. I really want the brostock trons that spy is making but donno how to get them
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-27-2010, 1:51 AM Reply   
I got the brostock trons today in the mail
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-27-2010, 10:38 AM Reply   
I am harsh on my stuff, but I would reccomend staying away from Von Zipper. I couldn't believe I paid so much money for glasses that were so poorly constructed. My Oakley Eyepatch's with upgraded lens, my spy mc2's, my electric BSG's, and my hoven's are all my favorite pairs of glasses that I have been through. THe hovens were amazing for the price, and if I still didn't have so many other pairs I would grab another set of Hovens. Maybe next summer.

EDIT- I forgot about my anarchy glasses, those were a solid pair as well, great for the price.

Last edited by hco; 08-27-2010 at 10:41 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-27-2010, 11:49 AM Reply   
i've had dragons, oakleys, spys, von zippers. von zippers lasted the longest.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-27-2010, 12:02 PM Reply   
I second the Fox Meetings. I have 2 different pairs. Amber/Gold, Chrome/Chrome.
Old    SamIngram            08-27-2010, 2:11 PM Reply   
Costa Del Mar Permits with

COSTA 580TM Technology.
High-tech. High-performance. The ultimate lens.
Yellow light is the enemy. It's hard for the eye to process and changes how you see the world. Not with a pair of 580s on. These patent-packed lenses raise the red, blue and green areas to amazing levels, while eliminating much of the yellow light. The result is purer vision, deeper colors and sharper contrast. Costa 580 lenses are available in gray, copper, blue and green mirrors, making them the perfect choice for any conditions.

Cost Del Mar Permit with 580 Lenses
Old     (dukenukem)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-27-2010, 2:23 PM Reply   
I had a pair of Electric Hoy sunglasses I got off of WhiskeyMilitia that were awesome, but then lost them on Lake Mohave.

Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-03-2010, 9:09 AM Reply   
Von Zipper Cluth polarized. Just got a pair. Really nice esp if you have a large melon like me
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       09-03-2010, 1:20 PM Reply   
I'm in the market for some new shades, but I'm a confessed cheap bastard and just can't bring myself to spend more than $20 on a pair of shades. However, this time around I find myself wanting a better quality lens, so I'm considering expanding my budget slightly. Any suggestions for stores or websites that deeply discount sun glasses?

Also, there was a story in the news a few months ago talking about how 75% of sun glasses on the market are made by one company. The company is out of Italy and owns brands like Oakley and Ray-Ban, as well as stores like The Sun glass Hut. In addition to their major brands they also make most of the generic brands that you find at Wal-Mart and other drug stores, etc. So, with that in mind, are the high dollar sun glasses really that much better than the $20 shades at the gas station?

http://www.luxottica.com/en/brands/
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-03-2010, 6:45 PM Reply   
Versace, Prada, Oakley and Ray Ban.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-05-2010, 11:38 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nauty View Post
I'm in the market for some new shades, but I'm a confessed cheap bastard and just can't bring myself to spend more than $20 on a pair of shades. However, this time around I find myself wanting a better quality lens, so I'm considering expanding my budget slightly. Any suggestions for stores or websites that deeply discount sun glasses?

Also, there was a story in the news a few months ago talking about how 75% of sun glasses on the market are made by one company. The company is out of Italy and owns brands like Oakley and Ray-Ban, as well as stores like The Sun glass Hut. In addition to their major brands they also make most of the generic brands that you find at Wal-Mart and other drug stores, etc. So, with that in mind, are the high dollar sun glasses really that much better than the $20 shades at the gas station?

http://www.luxottica.com/en/brands/
monster difference....they will last, feel better on your face, and (almost) always look better.

Go try on some spy haymakers, clash, or trons....youll see a difference my friend.

Dogfunk.com has some good deals.
watch whiskeymilitia.com too, they will have shades up every now and then for cheap. I got $120 spy Clash for 45 bones in december.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       09-11-2010, 6:38 AM Reply   
I'm starting to get a little pissed in my quest for a decent pair of shades...... First I head out in my area to try on a bazillion different shades. Far and away the best ones I found were Maui Jim's, but I'm not spending $250 + for sunglasses. I finally find some Bolle's that I like for $80, but the only pair they have left are the display model. I don't want the display model, so I found them on line at Cabela's and bought them for $65. They arrive yesterday and guess what, they look like they've been used or were a display model. The frames are bent and fit crooked.

Pissed off and unwilling to wait for a replacement via the mail, I decide to make the 60 mile round trip to Cabela's. Sure enough they don't carry them at their store and now they no loner have them on their website. WTF? I get my money back and start shopping again for shades. I find some Ray-Bans at another store, but the only ones they have left are the display models. However, since these were locked in a case I decide to get them anyway. I get home with them and then notice there is a nice little scratch on one of the lens. The scratch is very hard to see unless you look for it, but it pains me to spend $100 on sunglasses that aren't perfect.

I'm open for ideas on sunglasses shops (not on-line shops) that have a deep selection other than The Sunglass Hut. They have a nice selection and all, but their prices are ridiculous.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-11-2010, 6:59 PM Reply   
Ive had pretty good luck when ordering direct from manuf. Spyoptic.com has been pretty solid. Glasses are one of those products that need to be really looked over when buying from a shop. If you want oakleys, Id go sunglass hut but lately that havent been carrying the brands/frames I like. I ordered a pair from whiskeymilitia.com and had good luck, dogfunk.com has been good and has honored the return policy (one set of trons had a bent frame) but the other set was perfect. both sets lenses were perfect.
Dont give up man haha.

it might be the market your looking in. I would check out some vonzippers, they have some frames that look like ray bans, and order online after youve checked them out at zumiez or industrial.

I have loved every single pair of spys i have ever owned. 1 pair of trons, 2 pairs of clash, 1 haymaker, 2 micro scoops back in the day. Had one pair of dragons I liked, but didnt love, they were the white phase but they got stolen along with my truck last summer.
Oakleys ive had have been good, had a couple pairs of gascans, used to love them but i feel like the frames arent tall enough, i feel like i can see the bottom when i wear them, been wearing bigger frames lately tho.

Last edited by ilikebeaverandboats; 09-11-2010 at 7:06 PM.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       09-12-2010, 9:26 AM Reply   
Part of my trouble in finding the right frames is that I have a smaller face. These days there seem to be very few frames for small faces while the majority are for medium to large.

Yesterday morning I decided to take back the Ray-Bans. While I'm waiting for the clerk to do the return he asks if there were any others that I was interested in. I told him I really wanted the Bolle Fangs, but that they didn't carry them. He then tells me that they just got in some Bolle's that morning, so he runs over to see which Bolle's they got. Sure enough, they had one pair of Fang's! Boo-yah!!!

I tried them on and they fit perfect. They were on sale too for $79 with a free 1-year replacement warranty. I'm really diggin' them.
Attached Images