Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       06-14-2017, 2:59 PM Reply   
I sold my 02 Hurricane a few years back, and I've been on the hunt for another project. An 03 Avalanche came up at a nearby wholesale dealer auction I have access to, and I am considering purchasing. I'm asking the off chance if any one knows who's boat this was? It was salvaged by Progressive insurance; I am assuming due to the motor being seized. It appears the manifolds and spark plugs have been removed, which makes me believe someone has peered in with a bore scope. From what I can,I need to assume a new long block, new swim platform, new bimini, and some missing interior cushions at a minimum. A few questions:

Anyone recognize this boat?

Other than the dealer, where can I find a swim platform and cushions? Checked ebay and google search with not much luck.

Any guesses as to why someone would have removed the exhaust manifolds and spark plugs? Seized motor?
Attached Images

Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       06-15-2017, 7:58 AM Reply   
Considering that is an 2003, not even the dealer will likely be able to get you anything but general parts. The platform and cushions will likely no longer be made. You would likely need to have them made one off. Which like any custom work won't be cheap.

As to the motor like you said this was a salvage and was likely disassembled for inspection/ estimate purposes. I'd plan on a complete motor and complete electrical system. Its 99% that boat sank.

Thats not a project, but rather a MESS. Its going to be very time consuming and expensive to bring it back. I used to flip boats as a side business and thats one I would have run from. Wouldn't pay much more than the value of the trailer for it.
Old     (YYCBoarder)      Join Date: Apr 2013       06-15-2017, 9:00 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fouroheight68 View Post
I sold my 02 Hurricane a few years back, and I've been on the hunt for another project. An 03 Avalanche came up at a nearby wholesale dealer auction I have access to, and I am considering purchasing. I'm asking the off chance if any one knows who's boat this was? It was salvaged by Progressive insurance; I am assuming due to the motor being seized. It appears the manifolds and spark plugs have been removed, which makes me believe someone has peered in with a bore scope. From what I can,I need to assume a new long block, new swim platform, new bimini, and some missing interior cushions at a minimum. A few questions:

Anyone recognize this boat?

Other than the dealer, where can I find a swim platform and cushions? Checked ebay and google search with not much luck.

Any guesses as to why someone would have removed the exhaust manifolds and spark plugs? Seized motor?
Here you go.

http://www.centurioncrew.com/index.p...econditioning/
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       06-15-2017, 9:02 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCBoarder View Post
Thanks! I saw that today, and I contacted the owner. I'll get the full scoop hopefully!
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       06-15-2017, 9:48 AM Reply   
I spoke with the owner, confirmed the boat sank at lake powell August 2016 and was partially submerged for 2 days before removing.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       06-15-2017, 9:57 AM Reply   
So that confirms then. Complete motor, trans, V drive, electrical, etc.....
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-15-2017, 10:10 AM Reply   
A sank boat doesn't mean that the motor/trans/vdrive is toast. Even the computer COULD still be good (depends what happened when it sunk, but it's a good bet it's toast).

I've seen recovered sunk boats that are just fine after flushing the oil from the engine/vdrive/trans. Actually, one of my good friends recovered an Axis A22 that was at the bottom of the lake for 4 days. Put a new ECM in it, and it fired right up. Just takes a while to flush the crap out of it. About 6 oil changes later and it clears up. He put 80 hours on it (hiccup free) before selling it.

The good thing about that boat is that there aren't many computer modules. Just basic gauges and rocker switches.
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       06-15-2017, 10:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
A sank boat doesn't mean that the motor/trans/vdrive is toast. Even the computer COULD still be good (depends what happened when it sunk, but it's a good bet it's toast).

I've seen recovered sunk boats that are just fine after flushing the oil from the engine/vdrive/trans. Actually, one of my good friends recovered an Axis A22 that was at the bottom of the lake for 4 days. Put a new ECM in it, and it fired right up. Just takes a while to flush the crap out of it. About 6 oil changes later and it clears up. He put 80 hours on it (hiccup free) before selling it.

The good thing about that boat is that there aren't many computer modules. Just basic gauges and rocker switches.
Yes, that would definitely be ideal! However, I have to assume everything is toast when purchasing. He said he shut it all down before it went under, so there is hope the motor didn't ingest water. It could easily be a rats nest, or just be a simple repair... who knows...
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-15-2017, 11:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fouroheight68 View Post
Yes, that would definitely be ideal! However, I have to assume everything is toast when purchasing. He said he shut it all down before it went under, so there is hope the motor didn't ingest water. It could easily be a rats nest, or just be a simple repair... who knows...
Yeah, you definitely can't assume it's any good. At some point you have to roll the dice and take a risk.

I'm not sure what the auctions usually go for, but if you get it for $5-8k you're probably in pretty good shape. I probably wouldn't pay more than $10k for it.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-15-2017, 11:37 AM Reply   
You would pay 10k for a 15 y/o sunken centurion that isn't even complete? Holy smokes, I need to get in the auction game.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-15-2017, 11:43 AM Reply   
I said I wouldn't pay more than that...

It's worth 25-30k fixed up. So there's a lot of room for spending some money on it and turning a profit.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-15-2017, 11:54 AM Reply   
The hardest thing locating would be the platform brackets. Those would either need to be made custom or you could scrap the current and just re do he attachments points with little gel coat patch.

Vinyl you won't be able to find. Any upholstery shop can redo the interior complete. But plan on redoing the entire base seats of the boat.

You've obviously done the project boat before, but you're evaluation on what this boat would be all fixed off is way off in my opinion. And I am a Cemturion fan. Sure a mint fixed up Avy would fetch hi 20's possibly even catch 30,

But you're going to have a salvage title , and have the walkthru version. 20-23k is where I see that at when all said and done

Last edited by xstarrider; 06-15-2017 at 11:58 AM.
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       06-15-2017, 12:56 PM Reply   
I'll agree with swatguy on that your assessment is way high at 25-30k. I think the 20-23k is even going high given the salvage title. I've looked at several non salvaged just like it in mint condition at 20/21k and low hours as well. The side walk throughs are tougher sells. Good luck but I would run from this one.
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       06-15-2017, 12:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstarrider View Post
The hardest thing locating would be the platform brackets. Those would either need to be made custom or you could scrap the current and just re do he attachments points with little gel coat patch.

Vinyl you won't be able to find. Any upholstery shop can redo the interior complete. But plan on redoing the entire base seats of the boat.

You've obviously done the project boat before, but you're evaluation on what this boat would be all fixed off is way off in my opinion. And I am a Cemturion fan. Sure a mint fixed up Avy would fetch hi 20's possibly even catch 30,

But you're going to have a salvage title , and have the walkthru version. 20-23k is where I see that at when all said and done
I sold pretty much the same boat 2 years ago for 23500, I think 22-23 would be fair market value in good condition. Boats don't have salvage titles in California, but it would be prudent to disclose any damage. Based on the information that it did sink, and sat for 2 days underwater, I don't anticipate buying this.
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       06-16-2017, 5:45 AM Reply   
Be nice to see a picture of it underwater . Might give you and idea of the damage .
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-16-2017, 8:07 AM Reply   
good points on the walkthrough. definitely takes away from the value. If it was a C4 hull, it would be a better buy.