Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-10-2015, 12:41 PM Reply   
I have around 20-30k I would like to invest. But don't know where to put it. I have a LOT in the stock market but wouldn't mind a little faster turnaround if possible. Where are you guys investing and why?
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-10-2015, 12:45 PM Reply   
Lottery tickets!
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       08-11-2015, 8:01 AM Reply   
VTSAX

Picking individual stocks is gambling, you're not going to reliably beat the market. Fine for a very small portion, but keep the bulk in low expense index funds.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-11-2015, 8:28 AM Reply   
Indexed UL's. No risk, S&P returns
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       08-11-2015, 9:40 AM Reply   
VTSAX.

I will also sell you some ocean front property in Nevada for about that price ... i project it to go up 5000% in the next 3 years ... is that the quick turnaround you're looking for.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-11-2015, 10:37 PM Reply   
Find the next Chipolte or BuffaloWildWings...
Attached Images

Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       10-27-2015, 6:29 AM Reply   
leave your retirement money in low risk index funds.....if this is investment money. take chances. go talk to anyone with substantial net worth......they have all taken chances. only a few ways to make real money .

1) stock market
2) real estate
3) own your own business
4) sell an idea

find one...invest in it.

#1 piece of advice I can give is don't get emotional about investing. Have a plan set before any money moves out of your account and stick to it.
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       10-27-2015, 11:43 AM Reply   
Understand options if you want a faster return. More risk, way bigger returns. Example - when the last big correction happened in august, apple dropped like 12% or something off the opening bell. It was obvious to me this was a knee jerk reaction, there was no reason for it to drop, and it would be back. I bought $4000 with out of the money calls for October, and by the time I got into work I had made $2500. Because options are based on an underlying stock, but are usually priced so low, they have huge swings. The downside is, they are not a tangible asset and are worth 0 once the option expires.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       10-27-2015, 1:37 PM Reply   
options can be good, but one should do their homework before getting into them. expensive lessons to be learned by jumping in and trading a few contracts.

But yes, they move MUCH quicker than underlying assets
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-27-2015, 3:07 PM Reply   
Boarder, nice pick on apple! I bought Disney and it is doing great, it was a great buying opportunity back in August, I put a bid in to buy apple at 95 and just missed the bid, I had No problem putting the money down, wont sell it until next year because I made too much money this year. So, when will there be another buying opportunity? I guess my next move will be to short some stock(making money while the stocks tumble down!)
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       10-29-2015, 10:44 PM Reply   
What do you guys think about amazon. I'm kicking myself for not buying in a month ago when I wanted to in the 480 range
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       10-30-2015, 6:52 AM Reply   
Amazon is too expensive to start with. If it moves 20 dollars which is a TON for most stocks that's great but if you've got 10,000 invested, that's around 16 shares. That means you made $320 minus fees and slippage. That's not a lot of up side. I think that I'd need to be trading a million dollar account at least before it would be worth it to ever trade amazon. Maybe they'll split it some day.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-01-2015, 2:15 PM Reply   
Tech stocks are Way to high to buy now, they are at all time highs but I don't see anything bringing these stocks down, the companies are not just the best companies in the US, they are the Best companies in the World and will continue to grow And Make Money! I think I just talked myself into buying a Tech stock. Apple???
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-03-2015, 7:39 AM Reply   
Oh, and I bought Chevron, which has gone up 22% in 2 months.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-03-2015, 11:29 AM Reply   
If you are an accredited investor - check out Fundrise.com.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       11-09-2015, 11:18 AM Reply   
advice on this thread is sketchy at best, with exception of Nacho...options are a terrible idea for a beginner. . Bullsh*t meter is pretty high here too.

I can tell you that IV crush would kill call holders on that august dip unless you timed it perfectly. IV went thru the roof that morning ( I was in quite a few $APPL credit spreads that week, they were untradeable b/c of IV and the bid/ask spread)....and that 95 $APPL bid would have been picked up....if it was out there.

but I bought 5k shares of $APPL on that dip at 92 and just sold last week at 123. hahaha.

Last edited by acurtis_ttu; 11-09-2015 at 11:20 AM.
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       11-09-2015, 2:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by acurtis_ttu View Post
advice on this thread is sketchy at best, with exception of Nacho...options are a terrible idea for a beginner. . Bullsh*t meter is pretty high here too.

I can tell you that IV crush would kill call holders on that august dip unless you timed it perfectly. IV went thru the roof that morning ( I was in quite a few $APPL credit spreads that week, they were untradeable b/c of IV and the bid/ask spread)....and that 95 $APPL bid would have been picked up....if it was out there.

but I bought 5k shares of $APPL on that dip at 92 and just sold last week at 123. hahaha.
I don't know if you were referring to my post regarding "bullsh* meter" but I re-looked at my AAPL calls that day and this is what I bought and sold in a 1 hour time span:
Buy Open
AAPL Oct 16 '15 $105 Call

Mkt Day Mkt 5.57†
Executed Portfolios
08/24/15 138 Option

Sell Close
AAPL Oct 16 '15 $105 Call

Limit Day 7.60 7.60
Executed Gains/Losses
08/24/15 137 Option

I was off on my total dollar quantity - I bought $3866 and sold for $5320 so only 1400 profit on that trade. The profit in that hour was 36%. Options ARE a terrible idea for beginners (I never said they weren't, I said the risk is high), but there is no doubt their returns are huge if you play them right. This was just one of several I've timed right, and obviously I've timed some wrong too. The OP asked for a faster turnaround than the stock market, and options can provide that.

Last edited by fouroheight68; 11-09-2015 at 2:18 PM.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-13-2015, 9:41 AM Reply   
@Adam, the Bullchit meter really goes off when you say you picked apple at 92 And sold it at 123, After The Fact! Anyone can do that!
Tell us what your going to pick at what price before you actually do it or what your going to sell at what price BEFORE you actually sell, you won't be able to do it!
Stocks have blown away the real estate market the past eight years and probably will continue to do so.
Stocks are Not dropping like they did back in August, the Dow probably will Not drop below 1700 and I still need to buy some Tech.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-20-2015, 7:17 AM Reply   
The Dow is now Up for the year of 2015, who would have thunk it!
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       11-24-2015, 7:14 AM Reply   
@joschmoe. totally kidding. unfortunately did not perferfectly pick the bottom to buy and sell preciscely at the top. lol. I haven't traded much since the 1000 point dow loss day. overall bad trading year for me. down close to 80k in unrealized losses in my trading account this year.waiting till end of the year to see if it makes since to do some tax loss selling to offset trading gains/divi's.

read an article that NYSE/NASDAQ are doing away with stop orders and GTC orders next year....

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/11/18/why-w...op-orders.html
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-25-2015, 9:27 PM Reply   
Adam, it doesn't look like doing away with stop orders is going to change anything much because the article states professionals don't use stop orders because they sit around watching the stock all the time. I stopped using stop orders last year and I heard Jim Cremer said not to use them over the summer.
Old     (stingreye)      Join Date: Oct 2012       11-27-2015, 7:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeshmoe View Post
Adam, it doesn't look like doing away with stop orders is going to change anything much because the article states professionals don't use stop orders because they sit around watching the stock all the time. I stopped using stop orders last year and I heard Jim Cremer said not to use them over the summer.

Most custodians (vanguard, schwab, Td) do not send stop order to the exchange. They internally hold the order then release it as a market or limit order to the exchange ( if the order ever makes it to the exchange vs getting fulfilled by citadel or knight). The stop loss or gtc is done at the broker/custodian level and not the exchange most of the time.

So from a practically standpoint, stop loss orders and gtc will still be offerred by he majority of brokers and the actual execution will be unchanged.

Last edited by stingreye; 11-27-2015 at 7:34 AM.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-01-2015, 11:08 AM Reply   
Ok, Apple has not sold as many watches as planned even into the holidays and the new ipad is not a hit, so I will Not buy Apple. I will buy amazon or google on the dip.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-13-2016, 3:39 PM Reply   
I did buy Amazon on one of the dips months ago at 570, I thought they would increase their sales in the fourth quarter, even though retailers were losing sales but it didn't work out, but they have increased sales in the cloud platform, so the stock went way up! This stock just Keeps going up, and with retailers continue to fall makes them even stronger!
Profits on stocks have come to a halt due to uncertainty in the market, because Trump is so close to Hillary, if Hillary was a 2-1 favorite, It would probably be business as usual, but Trump is an Unknown factor to the market, so I think its going to be very volatile throughout the election! On another note I do not believe they will raise interests rates in June and are Less likely to increase it, so as the stocks stay flat, I guess the best companies are the ones with dividends now.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-30-2016, 2:37 PM Reply   
Well, it turns out stocks were the way to go! 20% increase from the lows in Feb! Sold all my tech stock and am now shorting Yahoo! This is my first time shorting any stock And it is just as easy to short the stock as it is to buy the stock when the stocks drops! So, why not make money as the stocks are going down! There are three reasons I am shorting yahoo, first, yahoo sucks! They keep making yahoo worse and worse! Second, all tech stocks have dropped as investors put their money in non-tech stocks, finally, yahoo last breach of confidentiality effected millions of users! Probably will sell at least half of my oil stock, although the dividends are great! I don't think that oil is going above 60. Dow will probably not pass 20,000 until the second quarter, I will be buying on the dips, loking to get into a bank and telecommunications, thoughts?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       01-03-2017, 2:39 PM Reply   
the Trump rally has been a good pop, although most folks I've talked to weren't in the market on a broad basis.
Financials have been leading and are expected to continue with rates slated to edge higher.
Dodd Frank is in the crosshairs along with ACA.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-03-2017, 9:28 PM Reply   
Well, the Trump rally continues, and the Consumer Confidence Index is at an all time high! I think this will spur economic activity just like a low CCI would hinder economic activity, so I got out of my yahoo shares before they went up and will sell at least half of my Chevron shares if/when oil hits 60. The stocks fell today when oil fell, due to the "world recession", so that is still a factor. Now I am in consumer staples, industrials, and energy, which I am getting out of but they all pay dividends! Might go into telecommunication and financials. So, how high can it go?
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-04-2017, 8:26 AM Reply   
Looking Good!!!
Attached Images

Old     (JJwake)      Join Date: May 2014       01-04-2017, 8:51 AM Reply   
Put funds in an index fund or REIT depending on your investment strategy, wait for something unfortunate to happen to a GOOD company THAT HAS BEEN AROUND, then buy buy buy. I have done this a few times and have come out very well. I'm not killing it, but I've averaged 20-30% over the last 5 yrs. Get 30% for 5 years with $25k and you'll be able to buy a G or a house with your monies. Good luck.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-05-2017, 7:40 AM Reply   
Macys, Sears and JC Penny have all been around a long time. They are closing stores as of today, but there is still a chance if they thin some fat, they could do good things. They need to get out of all these 200K leases they are in and go to new modern and smaller footprints.

I personally still focus on balance with all of my investments. I have not seen 30%, but I think if you can be anywhere near 10% for your investments for your career over the ups and down, you would be doing darn good. I think ther stock market has averaged 10-11% over the history of it.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-06-2017, 8:58 AM Reply   
The Dow dropped down to 19, 831 yesterday so I went to buy MB and it did Not go down at all! So I thought that was a good sign and bought anyway! It was still going up today when the dow was going down this morning and now its almost up 3% today!
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       01-06-2017, 6:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeshmoe View Post
The Dow dropped down to 19, 831 yesterday so I went to buy MB and it did Not go down at all! So I thought that was a good sign and bought anyway! It was still going up today when the dow was going down this morning and now its almost up 3% today!
Its near the top of where its ever been. I wish i would've bought it at $14 earlier this year I'd be killing it, not sure how fast it moves when you want to sell off though, seems to be small volume.
Old     (brinks)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-10-2017, 5:25 AM Reply   
Has anyone looked into the Forex market? The company I work for teaches Forex, Stocks and Equities trading but we really focus on Forex because of the low cost to get started and the high returns.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       01-10-2017, 3:04 PM Reply   
Buffalow: S&P 500 has averaged just under 8% annually going back to 50 years ago. Gets more difficult to track them past that point, no indexes and fewer companies .

forex: watch your leverage. those "tempting returns" can move against you quickly. Do a few months of paper trades, then cash secured trades before borrowing a cent. 10 to 1 is normal in forex, even higher for more "stable" currencies.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-17-2017, 8:48 AM Reply   
Sears is Up 5% today! Why???No, I am not buying them to go up, everyone knows they are going Out of business!
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-21-2017, 9:55 AM Reply   
Well, most stocks are down 1% today (republican health care might not pass?) but I am making money today! How can that be?