Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-15-2014, 3:36 PM Reply   
I have a 2013 F-150 Limited (Tuxedo Black). It needs more rubber, simple as that!

It also needs a lift/levl. My plan there is Auto spring 2.5" / 3" (not hear to discuss that)

So that brings me to my dilemma. Honestly, I don't know why this is so hard. I hate 1st world problems!

• Option 1: 285/55/22 (34") Nitto Terra Graplers on my polished OEM 22's
  • Option 2: 275/65/20 (34") Goodyear Duratracs on black/milled Fuel Maverick 20x9 +20 (sell OEM 22's)

Money is about the same when you factor in the value of the take offs (Option 2 may even be a little cheaper). So I'm not making the decision on money.

It's really just about two different looks. Option 1 is a slightly bolder factory look. Option 2 is more aggressive due to the Duratrac's meaner sidewall, black Fuel wheels, and +20 offset (tires will stick out another inch or so). I can't seem to decide. What look do you guys prefer?

The manager at my local Americas Tire was good enough to mount up one of the Nittos on my factor wheel so I could see how Option 1 looks. Normally I don't love the look of bigger tires on OEM wheels so I'd been leaning toward Option 2 until I saw this... I was surprsied how much I liked it (pics below... no lift/level has been installed yet).

I have less than 90 minutes to decide. At 5pm PST there are some rebates that expire on Option 2.

Help!!

Old     (runin90lx)      Join Date: Sep 2009       02-15-2014, 4:08 PM Reply   
Option 2...with toyo open country tires

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-15-2014, 4:28 PM Reply   
option two with terra graplers
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       02-15-2014, 5:06 PM Reply   
I love my terra grapplers. They have worn really well on my 37 13.5 r22 . I've got 15000 mi and they still look nearly new. I expect 50k easy out of this set. Toyos are way overpriced. And the good years have a really plain sidewall.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       02-15-2014, 5:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by newty View Post
I love my terra grapplers. They have worn really well on my 37 13.5 r22 . I've got 15000 mi and they still look nearly new. I expect 50k easy out of this set. Toyos are way overpriced. And the good years have a really plain sidewall.

But I would consider the nitro's with the new wheels... Call it option 3😁

Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-15-2014, 5:16 PM Reply   
Option 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-15-2014, 5:35 PM Reply   
Times up! I ordered Option 2.

As for Nittos Terra Grapper vs. Goodyear Duratrac vs. Toyo Open Country M/T... (the three tires mentioned in this thread). I actually LOVE the look of the Toyos, but up here in the Northwest they are only available at Les Schwab, and they are way way way overpriced... $2,000 otd for just the tires (295/60/20). Also, I'm a little concerned that a mud tire will hum too much. I'm trying to preserve as smooth a ride as possible while still getting a more aggressive look. The Terras and Duratracs are known to ride smoother on pavement than any mud tire (they are both AT's). The Terra was only in the running for Option 1 because they come in 22" size (few tires do). Getting new wheels and dropping down to 20" brought the Duratracs into the picture... much more aggressive tread and sidewall than the Terras but still smooth on the pavement. The Terra's would have been $1,500 otd for just the tires. The Fuel wheels + Goodyear Duratracs are only $2,150 otd (after the rebates). That's just $150 more than Toyo tires w/out wheels. I'll sell my polished 22" takeoffs to offset that cost even more.

I'm still nervous though... really hope I like the look once they're on the truck. It's a big change.
Old     (priszkid)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-15-2014, 11:35 PM Reply   
It'll look good man. I had the Duratracs on my Tundra and they were quiet and handled very well in our PNW weather. The main suggestion from the installer was to keep them rotated and balanced and you can run them past the mileage warranty. I don't know for sure if that's true since I sold the truck, but I figured it's simple maintenance. Post pics when you get it all set up!
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       02-16-2014, 6:37 AM Reply   
Dura tracs are awesome tires!
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-16-2014, 11:24 AM Reply   
I just sold the take-offs from my new Ram and was amazed at how fast they sold. It took all of 20 minutes from the time I posted the ad until I had a full price offer. There is a big market for certain OEM wheels/tires. I'm sure you'll have no problem selling those 22's and you should get good money for them too.
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       02-16-2014, 12:46 PM Reply   
Let us know what you end up getting for the factory Limited 22's. I have the same truck but in white and have considered pretty much exactly what you are doing.

Can't wait to see it all done.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-16-2014, 1:08 PM Reply   
I'm in the same boat as you. I really like my stock all black rims and want to level my truck and increase the tire diameter some. Toyo redid their A/T which I used to hate and made it much more appealing. I'm with you, while I love the look of M/It's I don't like the rude quality and road noise. Once leveled these F150's can accommodate what amounts to a 34" tire.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-16-2014, 1:09 PM Reply   
For the record I'd pull the "LIMITED" embloms off the back.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       02-16-2014, 1:14 PM Reply   
I can't for the life of me find the thread with the pictures I'm looking for, but take a look at the black f-150 that pulls the white V226 on here.
I am more if a lifted kind of person vs leveled, but this f150 is perfect imo.
Some of you may already know who I'm talking about, but I can't find the pictures

Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-16-2014, 1:19 PM Reply   
not mine but I think this is the pic you are talking about
Attached Images

Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-16-2014, 1:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatepain View Post
I'm in the same boat as you. I really like my stock all black rims and want to level my truck and increase the tire diameter some. Toyo redid their A/T which I used to hate and made it much more appealing. I'm with you, while I love the look of M/It's I don't like the rude quality and road noise. Once leveled these F150's can accommodate what amounts to a 34" tire.
Hate... that's exactly what I'm going for. The Duratrac 275/65/20 is a 34x11 tire. I wish it was a smidge wider like a 285 or 295 (my stock pizza cutters are also 275's), but Goodyear has odd sizes for the Duratrac. To go wider, they get shorter... into the 33' range which looks too small, imho.

I looked at the Toyo A/T II and I like it. As you say it's way better than the original A/T. They don't make it in a 22" size so that eliminated it as an option on my OEM wheels. I suppose I could revisit that now that I'm going down to 20's, but that means I'd have to go back to Les Schwab, and that place is just such a rip off. Nice guys, but damn do they charge an arm and a leg for that friendly smile. Toyos are basically out for me because of this.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-16-2014, 1:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
For the record I'd pull the "LIMITED" embloms off the back.
I'm way ahead of you.

I've got Raptor tail lights on order too!

Last edited by ixfe; 02-16-2014 at 1:33 PM.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-16-2014, 1:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmorlan View Post
I can't for the life of me find the thread with the pictures I'm looking for, but take a look at the black f-150 that pulls the white V226 on here.
I am more if a lifted kind of person vs leveled, but this f150 is perfect imo.
Some of you may already know who I'm talking about, but I can't find the pictures

I love a good lifted F-150 too. But I think they look lame unless you are rolling mud terrains on a more aggressive offset. Then the tires stick out (not a good look, imho) so that brings in painted fender flairs. The money starts to really add up. I considered it very strongly, but for my daily driver it just felt like way too much. I didn't want to hate driving it every day with all that money sunk into it.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       02-16-2014, 2:54 PM Reply   
That guy I was talking about, and h20 posted the pics of. He is leveled right? Not lifted?
Whatever it is, perfect dd set up

Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       02-16-2014, 3:40 PM Reply   
Thanks guys glad you like it. Leveled with 22x11 Fuel Crank. Tires are Cooper zeon LTZ . The toyos didn't give the look I wanted and the coopers were 100.00 less per tire.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       02-16-2014, 3:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabledog View Post
Thanks guys glad you like it. Leveled with 22x11 Fuel Crank. Tires are Cooper zeon LTZ . The toyos didn't give the look I wanted and the coopers were 100.00 less per tire.

33's?

Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       02-16-2014, 4:11 PM Reply   
305/40/22
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-16-2014, 7:56 PM Reply   
Can I trade your dilemma for mine?
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-17-2014, 7:27 AM Reply   
I am looking at running those Maverick's for my tow rig this summer also. I really like them and they come real close to matching my boat trailer. On a truck my vote is the Mavericks with Toyo MT's or the Duratracks. That will look sweet.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-17-2014, 10:32 AM Reply   
I have those taillights in my truck and the matching headlights. Yours would be expensive to replace with the HID's
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-17-2014, 10:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler97217 View Post
I am looking at running those Maverick's for my tow rig this summer also. I really like them and they come real close to matching my boat trailer. On a truck my vote is the Mavericks with Toyo MT's or the Duratracks. That will look sweet.
I'd like to know which trailer rims you have that match Mavericks. I have the two piece Mavericks with the chrome in the middle and can't find any trailer rims to match my truck.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-17-2014, 12:24 PM Reply   
Here you go MarkJ -
They are gears and boatmate offers them....
https://www.boatmateparts.com/produc...php?itmId=1040
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       02-17-2014, 12:26 PM Reply   
Gear 726 are not available at the moment, due to a copyright/trademark lawsuit. I've been trying to get them since November. Good luck trying to get some. Dealers have not been able to order, or if they have them in stock, cannot sell them.
I just ordered the moto metal 962 in 18's and had them drilled to my lug pattern, as a result of the Gear situation

Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-17-2014, 2:18 PM Reply   
Thanks Diggs but I need chrome centers to match these.
Attached Images

Last edited by markj; 02-17-2014 at 2:22 PM.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-17-2014, 2:19 PM Reply   
And I sorry for hijacking.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-17-2014, 2:55 PM Reply   
Mark
These are similar enough to at least throw a similar image..... https://www.boatmateparts.com/produc...php?itmId=1041

Jmorlan
You are correct... Boatmate said I got one of the last sets on mine before the cease and desist. I heard the Fuel Mavericks should be available again at the end of the month though.... We will see...
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-17-2014, 3:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
I have those taillights in my truck and the matching headlights. Yours would be expensive to replace with the HID's
Not planning on replacing the head lights. They don't bother me.

I'm not going for a "murdered" look with zero chrome. The Limited only has a few bits of chrome... nothing over the top like the Lariat or Platinum. I think the machined edges on the Mavericks will tie in the chrome handles, headlights, and the small chrome portions of the grill.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-17-2014, 5:53 PM Reply   
LOL yeah I'm pretty familiar with that product line
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       02-17-2014, 6:24 PM Reply   
I'll just throw my vote in the hat for American Force!

Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-17-2014, 8:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
LOL yeah I'm pretty familiar with that product line
Haha! That's right, I forgot!

Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-17-2014, 9:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler97217 View Post
Mark
These are similar enough to at least throw a similar image..... https://www.boatmateparts.com/produc...php?itmId=1041

Jmorlan
You are correct... Boatmate said I got one of the last sets on mine before the cease and desist. I heard the Fuel Mavericks should be available again at the end of the month though.... We will see...
Thanks again Diggs. Those look close enough. Not sure if a 9" wide wheel will fit my Sportboat trailer though. I''ll call them.

DBC, When do your wheels/tires arrive? I'm looking forward to seeing them installed..
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-17-2014, 12:04 PM Reply   
Thought I'd post an update... maybe it will distract from the disfunction raging in the Supra and Moomba/Axis threads...

I decided to go with the Fuel Mavericks. Here are the specs and pics...
  • Auto Spring 2.5" spacers in the front + 3" blocks in the rear
  • Fuel Maverick 20x9 +20mm
  • Goodyear Duratrac 275/65R20 (34"x11")

I also debadged the "Limited" emblems on the bed, and I swapped out the tail lights for Raptor/FX4 tails

Last edited by ixfe; 03-17-2014 at 12:06 PM.
Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       03-17-2014, 12:49 PM Reply   
Great looking wheels & truck. When I bought my F-150 the limited had this aluminum plate on the tailgate. I'm glad they went away from it. Is that the tuxedo black with the flake in it?
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       03-17-2014, 1:58 PM Reply   
Looks good! I think u made the right choice, you need some black in the wheels on a black truck. Heres mine

Old     (CHern5972)      Join Date: Jul 2012       03-18-2014, 4:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfe View Post
Thought I'd post an update... maybe it will distract from the disfunction raging in the Supra and Moomba/Axis threads...

I decided to go with the Fuel Mavericks. Here are the specs and pics...
  • Auto Spring 2.5" spacers in the front + 3" blocks in the rear
  • Fuel Maverick 20x9 +20mm
  • Goodyear Duratrac 275/65R20 (34"x11")

I also debadged the "Limited" emblems on the bed, and I swapped out the tail lights for Raptor/FX4 tails

With the 3" level/Lift and 34" tires with the Eco Boost..
Did you see a significant drop in your milage. I have a 13 Fx4 Ecoboost and looking to do the same. But on a 33" tire, just a bit smaller.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-18-2014, 6:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHern5972 View Post
With the 3" level/Lift and 34" tires with the Eco Boost..
Did you see a significant drop in your milage. I have a 13 Fx4 Ecoboost and looking to do the same. But on a 33" tire, just a bit smaller.
Hard to say... the bigger tires screwed up the odometer. It needs to be recalibrated before I can know how far I've driven on a tank.

But just looking at the computer generated lie-o-meter it shows about 1 mpg lost. So in real life I don't think I lost much.

Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-18-2014, 7:24 AM Reply   
Looks awesome. Perfect choices across the board.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-18-2014, 7:33 AM Reply   
I like the new tail lights much better.
Old     (CHern5972)      Join Date: Jul 2012       03-18-2014, 4:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfe View Post
Hard to say... the bigger tires screwed up the odometer. It needs to be recalibrated before I can know how far I've driven on a tank.

But just looking at the computer generated lie-o-meter it shows about 1 mpg lost. So in real life I don't think I lost much.

Keep[ me informed man. I will say my lie o meter is pretty damn accurate. I like what you did man, looks great. I have the silver Fx4 so im looking at the black wheels and Nitto TG
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       03-18-2014, 4:26 PM Reply   
Sick truck! You definitely made the right choice on wheels and tires!