Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-30-2013, 7:04 PM Reply   
My swivel mounts have been a sore spot in an otherwise amazing speaker. First the wiring on the the clamps were glued differently, one with what looks like hot glue and one with a black adhesive. When i took the speaker down from the clamp the wires came with it and were hanging from the tower and i had to macgyver back together (the hot glue clamp failed). Next the fork design stripped the mounting clamp out as well as the actual allen screw today. I'm tightening by hand with an allen wrench, not a power tool and it completely destroyed the screw and the threads in the clamp too. I was cautious because of the tendency for stainless to gall, but it still bit the dust. I've only taken the speakers down once and tried putting them back on for the first time today since the install.. I can't imagine these lasting an entire season. They seemed super tight and difficult to thread right out of the box. Has anyone else had a problem or am I just that unlucky? It just happened today so i'll contact ws monday and hope for the best.
Old     (jaxfoiler)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-30-2013, 7:21 PM Reply   
Contact the guys over at WS...As long as you have a legit problem, they will take care of you 100%, they will give you an RMA number and you will be set...

When you have a great product with great Service it is awesome
Old     (jrw160)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-30-2013, 8:51 PM Reply   
The bolt in the fork got stuck in the mount when I was test fitting mine. I couldn't do anything to get it out. I called wetsounds, and they gave me the ok to cut the bolt out and sent me a whole new mount since cutting it out ruined the fork and the part attached to the pod. I was really happy they didn't make me waste the money shipping sending the whole speaker back. Their customer service has always been top notch in my experience.
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-30-2013, 9:13 PM Reply   
I have had my swivel mounts on and off at least 30 times. I found mine to be nothing short of awesome. I couldn't be happier with mine.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       03-30-2013, 9:58 PM Reply   
yes yes yes. I bought a tap and dye set and chased all of the threads, and it was way better. I had the exact same thing happen. I'd certainly recommend putting some grease or antisieze on all of the threads too.

I also had the pins inside the tower side of the mount pop out, so when the speaker is reconnected no sound would come out because the electrical connection isn't being made.

Neither were a biggie to address, but both left a little to be desired on such an expensive set of speakers.
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-30-2013, 11:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
yes yes yes. I bought a tap and dye set and chased all of the threads, and it was way better. I had the exact same thing happen. I'd certainly recommend putting some grease or antisieze on all of the threads too.

I also had the pins inside the tower side of the mount pop out, so when the speaker is reconnected no sound would come out because the electrical connection isn't being made.

Neither were a biggie to address, but both left a little to be desired on such an expensive set of speakers.
glad to know i'm not the only one.... for a $300 option I expected better i guess. They certainly aren't a quick method of disconnecting or connecting when you factor in that darn allen screw. On a positive note i do love the hidden wiring when it works, and the clamp design on the tower doesn't seem to budge. I'll definitely be using some anti seize on the replacements
Old     (trennaa)      Join Date: Oct 2012       03-31-2013, 4:55 AM Reply   
I have also had problems, I was just testing mine straight out of the box on the couch before I had even installed them and mine fouled up in
the thread and had to correct it with a tap and dye.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       03-31-2013, 7:01 AM Reply   
yeah after chasing all of the threads with a tap I haven't had any more problems. I would recommend doing that first before doing anything else.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-31-2013, 9:16 AM Reply   
I also had some issues on the wires coming out of the plastic housing on the tower side when installing a couple times. Just added some superglue. I also re tapped my threads as well due to them being so tight n sticky out of the box. Even with anti seize. Overall I was expecting better from my swivel mounts. They still wobble a bit even when cranked down. Tge fixed mounts on my pro 80's were much more solid and almost as easy to pop off in those sketchy overnite areas. I like the fact that I can angle the speakers towards the outside of the wake area as it def puts the rider in more of the sweet spot for the sound, but I was expecting a much better refined product in the clamps seeing as how the actual speaker is untouchable. The clamp is def a let down for me from such a high end, premium priced product, but again the sound from them is worth every penny.

Last edited by xstarrider; 03-31-2013 at 9:21 AM.
Old     (jafo9)      Join Date: May 2012       03-31-2013, 11:07 AM Reply   
i haven't had mine in the water yet as i just installed them. however, i've put them up and down 5 or 6 times. my threads were smooth out of the box. my solution to speeding up the process is to put a large 6mm T-handle allen wrench in the glove box where it will live permanently. i like the anti-seize idea. i'll do that next time i put them up.
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-31-2013, 11:50 AM Reply   
It seems like having it thread through the fork and also thread into the speaker housing is part of the problem. If the fork part spun freely instead of being threaded and forcing the bolt into the speaker whether its lined up correctly or not might be better. Its hard to tell if its binding because you're threading a bolt through two pieces that there's some wiggle room with. I'd like a redesign thats actually quick on and quick off- easier said than done since these aren't exactly lightweight.
Old     (BradM07SS)      Join Date: Jul 2011       03-31-2013, 1:00 PM Reply   
I actually took the fork off of mine and just use the bolt threaded into the speaker. It's a better to me and not as loose feeling . This is the same way exile does there swivel cłamps.
Old     (Walter)      Join Date: Apr 2012       03-31-2013, 8:19 PM Reply   
Before I ever used mine I took the bolts out and put a taper on the tip and made it look similar to a pencil, leave the tip flat about 1/8 to 3-16" diameter, chase the threads with a dye and this will prevent the threads from flattening out and ruining the swivel body, I have had mine on and off many times with no issues. The problem with the threads getting boogered up is when you first tighten the bolt it rolls over the first thread inside the radius where the bolt locks down in the clamp body, taper the first 2 threads and this doesn't happen anymore.
Old     (cal2vin)      Join Date: Jun 2010       04-01-2013, 1:57 AM Reply   
YES!!!! I had a hell of a time keeping the wiring pins and sockets in the plastic housing of the clamp. The metal parts all feel rock solid, but that plastic is some cheap work if feels like. Straight out of the box the pins on one of the clamps was depressed way down into the plastic from where the box had pushed down on the wiring from the opposit side pulling one of the pins down. So far that it would not have mad connection. I tried to cut the black heat shrink and fix myself but ended up breaking the pin. Then another set, the socket was depressed so far that it would not have made connection either. Wetsounds was great about it and sent replacement plastic pin and socket connectors. Even the replacements though were not solid at all. I had to be very careful. those sockets push down soooo easy. I would be scared to take the speakers on and off a lot. If you push the speaker up into the socket at all uncentered mine would definetely push the socket out the housing requiring a disassemble of the mount. I wish I would have just went with fixed mounts. The connections made by the swivel clamps seem like they will only limit performace.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-01-2013, 8:38 AM Reply   
If you have issues, all you have to do is give us a call. as you can see, our customer service is second to none.

I think what makes a manufacturer great is not only making the best products but also standing behind them and listening to their customers and dealers and making changes if need be.

we listened to our customers and dealers. And we have made adjustments on the clamps to provide a better experience. We have started running a second tap down them on the production line, we have changed the Allen bolt and tip and we have changed the speaker connectors and glue. we also have anti seize with them as well. So the clamps are rock solid. I have tracked all the ones from these changes on and have had no issues.

The patent pending design of these clamps, IMHO cant be beat for safety and ease of use. I designed them with the fork system to have a solid weight distribution. And the ability to swivel without having to hold the speaker. If you just have a bolt, the bolts backs out and the speaker would crash down. Or fall on someone or in the water.

Brad, I would put your fork back in.
Detox, You don't want the fork to free spin as the fork could slide slightly in there and have rattle. You don’t need to remove the allen from the bolt. Only back the allen out of the clamp. The nylon threads on the fork hold the bolt and also keep you from losing it. So there is no trying to line the allen up with two threads as it should always be attached to the fork. Maybe this is why you are saying they are not as quick as you like.

With a T Handle allen, they are as easy to remove as any "quick disconnect" type clamp I have seen. And if it takes a 10 seconds more to back the allen out, but provides a safer and more solid rattle free mount. I am all for that.

So get a T handle allen. back the bolt out just enough from the clamp and the fork with the allen will slide right off. This is a super fast process.

As mentioned, give us a shout and we can get you take care of.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (alex_hunter)      Join Date: Oct 2009       04-01-2013, 8:51 AM Reply   
I think I'll run a tap through just for the hell of it. What size do I use?
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-01-2013, 9:29 AM Reply   
M8, 1.25 thread pitch. You can call Gyver or Rob at my office if you have any questions.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (Wakesounds)      Join Date: May 2011       04-01-2013, 9:57 PM Reply   
I had a similar issue early on, sent back the clamp for a new one no questions asked. I think there is no doubt that wetsounds makes an amazing product and they stand behind they're product better than any company I have dealt with. And I've dealt with a lot over the years! Also the fact that their head guy is willing to spend time on these forums helping out is amazing to me! I've switched every product in my boat I can to WS and couldn't be happier.