Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-05-2015, 12:41 AM Reply   
So my tow rig is in need of some new tires. I only tow long distance 4 to 5 big trips a year.

2013 Expedition. 275/65/18. Do I go LT? I did in the past but i drove way more cross country and towed way more.

I have had BFG's, Nitto Grappler, Hankook Dynapro Atm's , and Toyo Open country's on my past trucks. All had their plus and minuses. I am looking for something little more highway/ride friendly and noise friendly, but that will still hold up in snow and ice here in Midwest.

Was thinking Cooper AT3's or Nitto Crossteks. Anything else? Thoughts ??????
Old     (Ewok01)      Join Date: Apr 2013       09-05-2015, 6:26 AM Reply   
I'd look at Cooper Discoverer AT3. I ran them on my 4Runner and they did great on hwy, no more noise than stock tires, but they had much more grip on gravel and slippery boat launches. But they were my summer tire, I still put blizzaks on my 4Runner in the winter.
Old     (Riley212)      Join Date: May 2015       09-05-2015, 9:15 AM Reply   
I've had Michelin LTX ms2 and Yokohama geolander ATS on my f150. The geolander a are soft and a little noisy but they grip well in all conditions and snow/slush and mud. I would get about 35k miles out of them I drove my truck a lot. It was a 2wd I never had problems at the boat launch with those. The michelins seemed like they lasted longer and did fine in snow/slush, very quiet and decent gas mileage. Would slip sometimes at the launch though. The bridgestones that came on my new Silverado are terrible and slip everywhere. Haven't used them in the snow yet but I plan on getting the geolander or some bfgs before it snows.
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       09-05-2015, 10:05 AM Reply   
I'm a fan of Michelin ltx ms2's as well. My dad and I have both ran them and as long as you aren't doing hard off rising they are great. My new tundra came with the Michelin all terrains and they are pretty nice as well. If ride quality is what you are after they can't be beat. The bridgestone dueler revo is another good tire if you want better off road performance and still nice on the street but they wear out faster. As for the lt tire wisdom you should be looking at what the vehicle came with originally. The suspension was tuned for whichever came stock.
Old     (dilpickle)      Join Date: Aug 2013       09-05-2015, 2:55 PM Reply   
One more vote for the Michelin LTX M/S2. We run them at work (oilfield) & routinely get 60K out of them. The only time we have seen shorter life is on exclusively scorio (rig roads) & the only time left wanting for traction was in mud around 2 ft deep-everyone was chained up that day (NItto Terra Grappler, BFG AT KO, Cooper S/T MAXX & Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S)

You won't find a better riding tire on a full size P/U or SUV. The other tire we routinely run is the Yokohama & it does a little better off road, but at the expense of a little stiffer ride & shorter life. I also run the Michelins on my personal stuff now.
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-05-2015, 8:34 PM Reply   
All I can say is don't buy Nexen's. I saved a few bucks by putting a set on my trailblazer ss and I've regretted the decision for the last 30,000 miles.
Old     (Gotmods)      Join Date: Nov 2012       09-06-2015, 2:34 PM Reply   
Ltx Ms2's are by far the best street light truck radial I've ever run that handle snow and ice with ease. I drove all over the worst ice covered streets in Portland's West hills and was always impressed.