Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (liquid1)      Join Date: Oct 2004       07-19-2012, 10:35 AM Reply   
Seriously boat shopping, but also wondering if it wouldn't be better at this point in summer to wait until October to purchase a new, to me boat. I wont be able to be on the water virtually at all in September, so im left with about a month of possible use left, before people start getting ready to sell their boats at the end of the season. I have a boat, that runs and floats, and gets us on the water, but its not a comp boat, and im looking to upgrade. Any thoughts or advice?
I found a 01 Sunsetter VLX, i like under 20,000, but it needs a few things (PP, ballast, etc, nothing major) But i also wonder if the prices this winter might be quite a bit better.

What kind of price drop do you anticipate seeing this winter on boats, especially on older boats. What sort of price points do you think would be average for
2000-2003 SAN
2000-2002 Wakesetter/Sunsetter Vlx
2000-2003 Xstar/205V
2000-2004 Sanger

I'm looking to be in the sub 25k, ideally id like to be in the under 20k range. Am i missing something?
Thanks!
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       07-19-2012, 10:48 AM Reply   
Hey Geoff, saw your profile says Tulare? Is that Tulare, CA? If so, I'm from Lemoore and you should give Etco Marine a call and ask for Chad. Great guys down there and they usually have really good inventory and should have both some MC's and Malibu's. You may already know the dealership if your in that area, small town livin for sure.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-19-2012, 11:44 AM Reply   
A lot of that is going to depend on the area. If you are in California you are going to see more consistent prices than where I live in Minnesota. Boats can be had for very good prices here over the winter. But it still depends on the seller. If the person wants to sell it in December-February they need to price it aggressively. The best thing to do, IMO, is to look at a few and make aggressive offers and see who wants to sell vs. people trying to sell for top dollar only. But I use this method any time of the year. It makes me laugh when you watch the same over priced boats cycle on craigs week after week. Boat market in general is still tough. But I know here(Minnesota) the used inboard market is very strong, with well priced boats selling within a week.

Bottom line is there's no right answer. A lot of private sellers have no clue what there boat is worth and really just come up with a price. NADA or KBB has never really been accurate for boats. Do your research and don't be afraid to make an aggressive offer. Worst you can hear is no. Also don't be afraid to walk away from a boat you like....if you don't like the deal.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-19-2012, 3:52 PM Reply   
There is a point where V-drives seem to bottom out in price, and that 18-25k range seems to be it.

After some heavy negotiating we got our 01 VLX last summer for 20k (loaded - from little option like heater and docking lights to the big option - LS1 motor, 330 hrs). I spent a year shopping around and discovered the fall/winter just resulted in less selection of boat in the price range and not a reduction in price. That said, had my boat actually hit the open for sale market I probably wouldn't have got it for 20k (snagged it before it was put up for sale).

Put out a WTB ad on Craigslist - I got contacted by several people with boats that weren't listed anywhere. Almost got into an 03 VLX for 23k, but it had a lot more hours and only the Monsoon, so we passed.
Old     (JoLo_Si)      Join Date: Oct 2011       07-20-2012, 12:07 PM Reply   
Everyone know that everyone else is selling in the off season. I think the beginning or end of the season is the best time because people who have been trying to sell their boat all winter get nervous that they are going to be stuck with it another year and at the end of the season people just want to get rid of them and don't want to worry about winterizing and storing. These times are also good because you can still lake test them while the weather is good.